E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2004, 09:22 PM   #1
cp111

My Ride: '04 330Ci
iPod Interface Success !!

Ive seen some questions, difficulties, etc regarding the iPod interface. I did successfully install the iPod interface this weekend and it works absolutely great, as advertised !! Ive attached some pics for your viewing but some notes for those interested in this DIY:

1. Took me approx ~3-4 hrs 'cos I was very careful & deliberate with the wires, etc.
2. BMW recommends the pin removal tool, which is about $35. I did not get one and used a very small screwdriver (for eyeglasses). I found this to be the most difficult since I was not familiar with removing these pins
3. Only drawback for me with this interface is you can not view the song via the iPod (it only displays BMW).

I think it costs approx $400-500 for a dealer to install but it definitely can be done as a DIY !! Feel free to shoot me any questions if you need assistance, etc...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ipod01.jpg
Views:	1391
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	89692   Click image for larger version

Name:	ipod02.jpg
Views:	1396
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	89693   Click image for larger version

Name:	ipod03.jpg
Views:	1379
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	89694   Click image for larger version

Name:	ipod04.jpg
Views:	1350
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	89695  

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:24 PM   #2
deletedpenguin

My Ride: is gone!
Send a message via Skype™ to deletedpenguin
Nice job man!

If I only had the paitence to get through that, I'd be down in a heartbeat. Until then, iTrip all the way.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:34 PM   #3
zaccotner

My Ride: o3 m3
did you have very much electrical experience- I want to install it but i have not experience with car audio much less wiring for that matter
zaccotner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:04 PM   #4
hifiguy

My Ride: 2004 m3
Send a message via ICQ to hifiguy Send a message via AIM to hifiguy
what tool do you use to remove the trim around the stereo and glovebox?

clear bra, ceramic tint 60F/50R, bel rx65, pss9, dixis, le-37, yellow belts
hifiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:44 PM   #5
Amil
mY Name Is aMiLioooooooO

My Ride: 04 Range Rover 07 A4
Send a message via AIM to Amil Send a message via MSN to Amil Send a message via Yahoo to Amil
simply amazing
Old 08-23-2004, 11:49 PM   #6
cp111

zaccotner - it's a breeze really. The enclosed instructions (and pictorials) are pretty straight forward and clear. I have absolutely ZERO electrical experience....heck, I just learned to change a lightbulb last week. Anyway, just be sure to disconnect the battery before digging behind the radio.

hifiguy - Just use a flat head screwdriver and wrap the end of it with some masking tape so that it does not damage your trim.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:14 AM   #7
zaccotner

My Ride: o3 m3
thanks man- preciate cha and nice choice on the 330-helluva car you got there
zaccotner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:07 AM   #8
cp111

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaccotner
thanks man- preciate cha and nice choice on the 330-helluva car you got there
Right on bruttthaa....

One more note: Those wondering if the iPod interface is worth the $150. For me, yes....'cos prior to this interface, I had installed an auxiliary input cable before and found that I was always reaching for my iPod and changing songs, etc....(increasing probability of accident). Now, much more convenient and controls are accessable via the steering wheel
Old 08-24-2004, 01:45 PM   #9
a burrito

My Ride: e90 330i
Send a message via AIM to a burrito
Quote:
Originally Posted by pho.s0up
Ive seen some questions, difficulties, etc regarding the iPod interface. I did successfully install the iPod interface this weekend and it works absolutely great, as advertised !! Ive attached some pics for your viewing but some notes for those interested in this DIY:

1. Took me approx ~3-4 hrs 'cos I was very careful & deliberate with the wires, etc.
2. BMW recommends the pin removal tool, which is about $35. I did not get one and used a very small screwdriver (for eyeglasses). I found this to be the most difficult since I was not familiar with removing these pins
3. Only drawback for me with this interface is you can not view the song via the iPod (it only displays BMW).

I think it costs approx $400-500 for a dealer to install but it definitely can be done as a DIY !! Feel free to shoot me any questions if you need assistance, etc...

hey, does your cd player still work with the ipod in? can i swap my head unit witch has the cd button for the head unit with the mode button?
a burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 01:52 PM   #10
low
OG e46fanatics lurker!

My Ride: is outside
good stuff

Pretty girls in bikinis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwang1
no one ask you to click on it cry baby :cry: now I can see why Dougsun doesn't like you either.... sigh....
- I've been victimized with BOARD DRAMA!!! :lmao:
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:13 PM   #11
HW323ci

My Ride: 323ci manual
Quote:
I think it costs approx $400-500 for a dealer to install but it definitely can be done as a DIY !!
why would it take so long for them to do it? does 4 to 5 bills include the interface itself?

i'm bored as hell!
HW323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 04:43 PM   #12
StaynZ

My Ride: 2004 330I ZHP
I ordered the Ipod install and they are charging me $250. $150 for the adapter and $100 for labor.
StaynZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 06:11 PM   #13
cp111

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito
hey, does your cd player still work with the ipod in? can i swap my head unit witch has the cd button for the head unit with the mode button?
Yeah, CD player works as well with the iPod. The iPod interface is integrated into the radio so there still an auxiliary audio input plug free so if I like, I can plug a DVD player into it. Not sure if you can swap out radio units and use the iPod interface. You should check with dealer for specifics.

I think the dealer charges so much 'cos it's a standard flat labor charge even though it might not consume that much time or labor. But $100 is pretty good if you dont want to go thru the hassle. But it was no strain on me.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:41 PM   #14
NisoCrew

My Ride: 08 AW M3 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to NisoCrew
Quote:

Do you have premium sound? I have heard mixed things and I am trying to clear up if it is compatible or not. Thanks.

"The Verdict: Every other manufacturer should give up building their own cars and just make M3's instead".

--Car and Driver
NisoCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 01:29 PM   #15
cp111

Quote:
Originally Posted by NisoCrew
Do you have premium sound? I have heard mixed things and I am trying to clear up if it is compatible or not. Thanks.
Yes, I have the HK prem sound system (standard on a 330). You can see the speaker button on one of the pics. I have heard there was confusion that the iPod interface would not work on prem sound systems and BMW was issuing another kit for this...I have not heard anything about this but as you can see the current kit out there works on prem sound systems. Hope this helps
Old 08-25-2004, 01:38 PM   #16
NisoCrew

My Ride: 08 AW M3 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to NisoCrew
Thanks for the straight answer. That is exactly what I needed to know. I'm going to try and get mine installed by the end of the week now that I know it works.

"The Verdict: Every other manufacturer should give up building their own cars and just make M3's instead".

--Car and Driver
NisoCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:56 PM   #17
TopGeek

My Ride: 04 M3 SMG
Where'd you get the kit?

On sept 2nd I'm leaving for a 6000+ mile road trip in my M3 and I *really* want the IPOD kit before then (I can install it.. that's no problem) but local dealers are all telling me they are on national backorder.

Does anyone know where I can find an IPOD kit ASAP????

TIA,
Edward
email: edward AT ogi DOT tv
TopGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:33 AM   #18
JGORDEY300

My Ride: 2004 325I(Totaled)
I don't understand why the aux adapter costs everyone so much. I am in Germany and bought mine from Rhein BMW in Wurzburg for 43 euros. Thats about $50. I would think it is the same part. It came with the adapter, some zip ties, another blue clip, and 2 screws.The install is super easy. If anyone would like to contact this dealer you can get them by contacting www.militarycarsalesgermany.com they speak good english. I hope this helps.

Last edited by JGORDEY300; 08-26-2004 at 04:38 AM.
JGORDEY300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 11:42 AM   #19
Amil
mY Name Is aMiLioooooooO

My Ride: 04 Range Rover 07 A4
Send a message via AIM to Amil Send a message via MSN to Amil Send a message via Yahoo to Amil
get some sirius installed for that kind of trip
Old 08-27-2004, 12:43 AM   #20
cp111

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGORDEY300
I don't understand why the aux adapter costs everyone so much. I am in Germany and bought mine from Rhein BMW in Wurzburg for 43 euros. Thats about $50. I would think it is the same part. It came with the adapter, some zip ties, another blue clip, and 2 screws.The install is super easy. If anyone would like to contact this dealer you can get them by contacting www.militarycarsalesgermany.com they speak good english. I hope this helps.
JGORDEY300 -- what you are referring to is NOT the iPod Interface adapter. The Auxiliary Audio Input adapter/cable and the iPod Interface are totally different parts & thus two unique part numbers as well:

Auxiliary Audio Input:
82-11-0-149-389

iPod Interface Adapter
65-11-0-392-133

For those inquiring minds, the big difference bw/ two is: the Aux Audio input will NOT allow you to control your audio input (ie, mp3 player, iPod, etc...) via the audio controls on the steering wheel whereas the iPod Interface Adapter WILL !!!! The iPod Adapter comes with an iPod adapter, iPod I/F cable, radio R/F cable, iPod owners manual, and a grommet.

TopGeek -- You can get the iPod adapter at CIRCLEBMW.com for $119.99 (regularly $149.99). I had to wait a week since it was on backorder but it is a bit cheaper than other places so worth the wait for me. If got any questions with the install then shoot me a PM. I dont mind walking you through it. The pins on the back of the radio are a bit tricky.

Btw, you can get the Auxiliary Audio Input at CIRCLEBMW.COM for $31.96 USD or 26 EUROS.