E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-12-2002, 09:15 AM   #1
.Gravedgr.
Got M?

My Ride: '02 CBM M3
Send a message via AIM to .Gravedgr.
Question Do you leave your car for service / mods, or stay with it?

I have heard some horror stories about all kinds of bad things that happen when you leave your baby with someone, whether it be BMW service, the local stereo installer, or the tint guy. Everything from scratches, torn interior, dings, to excessive mileage (test drive, yeah, that's it) and even wrecking the freaking car.

Needless to say, it has made me so paranoid, I don't think I'll be able to get more than 10 feet from the car the first few times I take it anywhere. And I don't think I can see leaving it and coming back later unless whatever is being done is going to take more than a single work-day. "Uh, yeah...I need to take a vacation day to watch my car - they're tinting the windows."

How does everyone else deal with this, and have you had any bad experiences? Someone please ease my mind.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-12-2002, 09:17 AM   #2
F2002
Prancing Horse Tifosi

My Ride: 330Ci
Talking Most of the time, I stayed there.

:tongue:
F2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 09:19 AM   #3
IzzyWRX
Girlie

My Ride: 2004 WRX wagon
I always stay if it's possible to stay with the car. Some places won't let you in their garage, but you can stand by the door and watch. The only exception is the dealer where you can't even come close to looking at your car while they work. In that case, I leave it. But I have them note the odometer and have them do a walk-around the car and note any chip/dent so you can claim if they damage it. (ok, so I don't do the latter, but I should! They have made a door dent in the past)

IzzyWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 09:27 AM   #4
.Gravedgr.
Got M?

Quote:
Originally posted by Izzy330i
They have made a door dent in the past
AIGH! You guys are not helping!
Old 04-12-2002, 09:41 AM   #5
gt3

My Ride: M3
Definitely stay with the car if possible. Otherwise make sure you do a careful final inspection prior to picking the car up. I noticed after 1 week of stereo install at 2 different shops, there was a quarter inch dent on the passenger door with poorly applied touch up paint on it!!! I was so furious, but I still have not figured out which shop did that.
gt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 09:41 AM   #6
mmtr 328i

My Ride: 328I,07Expy
I have had good luck with my local dealer. They always do a walk around and discusses anything they see wrong with the car before they take it. Also they note the mileage at the time I drop it off. We may just have a good dealer ship here in Kansas City. Good luck!
mmtr 328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 10:02 AM   #7
Senad
NWT Fanatic

My Ride: M3
Send a message via AIM to Senad
If you need to leave it, make sure you do a walk around with a service rep and have them mark out any possible damage before the vehicle is left in their hands. That way if any new damage exists when you return, it can be pointed out as something that was not there when you dropped off the vehicle and they will be forced to pay for repairs.
Old 04-12-2002, 10:10 AM   #8
zuludog

My Ride: 323i
Tinting dudes put a nice fat scratch (down to the primer) on the door of my car
the very first week I had it. They wouldn't take responsibility and I wasn't smart
enough to walk around the car before I picked it up. Not to make you paranoid,
but sh1t like this happens all the time. Be careful.
zuludog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 10:35 AM   #9
.Gravedgr.
Got M?

Sheesh....I think I'm going to have to take pictures of the car up close along with a newspaper headline to make sure I can prove that it was in pristine condition before anyone gets it. :sad:

That, or stand beside the technician with my 9mm in hand while he works.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:13 AM   #10
Imola Ed
That's a lot of nuts!

My Ride: Formerly:2002 ACS M3
Send a message via AIM to Imola Ed
I think what you need is the BMW OEM low-power subspace shield. You engage it when locking the doors and a small shield protects your car from dents or thiefs.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:14 AM   #11
Craig
The G.O.A.T. is Baccckkkkk!

My Ride: 09' AW E92 335i
Hell no I won't even bring my car near those people
Old 04-12-2002, 11:18 AM   #12
B
OG Moderator Extraordinaire

My Ride: 325iX-M3-525iT-M5
Send a message via AIM to B
Depends on what's getting done... I left it with StreetEffectz and with my Dealer, cause I trust both of them. Otherwise, I would stay with the vehicle.

One time I parked my car at a garage in NYC, and I told them @ 2-3 hours until I would be back. I wound up having to leave about 15 minutes after dropping the car off... so I went back to the garage, and asked for my car. It took them 10 minutes and then I see the attendent pulling up from up the street... he had been joy riding in my Bimmer rather then parking it! Needless to say I flipped out and didn't pay for sh!t...

peace
B
Old 04-12-2002, 11:23 AM   #13
hbmike

My Ride: 03 530, 00 328i dead
boy... you guys make me paranoid... if it'll be a quick job, i.e. under an hour, i wait... but if not, i leave my car... i trust the shop i take my car to, as well as the body shop... they're pretty good... the dealer i usually do a walkaround and make sure nothing's damaged before dropping off and at pick up... but, i don't think i'll be going to the dealer too much, as the scheduled service is about to end....

my car has a lot of rock chips, a couple of surface scratches... i realize my car isn't a show car, and i believe it's meant to be driven, and thus, will get it's fair share of battle wounds... sure i get a little upset at each new scratch, but, hey, it's only a car, isn't it?

but that's not to say, i don't try to keep the car nice, i just had a big ding taken out of my passenger side door.... having a $100 deductible for this kind of unforeseen damage is kinda nice
hbmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 11:30 AM   #14
sgv321

My Ride: 328
Yes, all types of things happen.. would they stop happening if you were standing there? If the guy is working on your interior & rips your leather with a screwdriver that was in his back pocket, could you have stopped that in time? Of course you could prevent some of them, but you would make the guy nervous & prone to making more mistakes. Thats why some shops have a waiting room...
sgv321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 11:38 AM   #15
.Gravedgr.
Got M?

Quote:
Originally posted by sgv321
Of course you could prevent some of them, but you would make the guy nervous & prone to making more mistakes. Thats why some shops have a waiting room...
That is a good point as well. Since I don't plan on a lot of mods, I'm hoping this doesn't become a real issue since I think I would quite literally blow a gasket if something major happened.

On the other hand, never in this car's lifetime will the keys see the hand of a valet, parking lot attendant, or otherwise non-shop personnel.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:41 AM   #16
sgv321

My Ride: 328
Quote:
Originally posted by .Gravedgr.

That is a good point as well. Since I don't plan on a lot of mods, I'm hoping this doesn't become a real issue since I think I would quite literally blow a gasket if something major happened.

On the other hand, never in this car's lifetime will the keys see the hand of a valet, parking lot attendant, or otherwise non-shop personnel.
but some places are valet only...
sgv321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 11:48 AM   #17
Conrad
Modelrater

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Send a message via AIM to Conrad
Quote:
Originally posted by .Gravedgr.
Do you leave your car for service / mods, or stay with it?
I usually leave it on. They don't really mind. I would hate to scrape the stickers off. I would have to go and put new ones on again!
Old 04-12-2002, 11:51 AM   #18
.Gravedgr.
Got M?

Quote:
Originally posted by sgv321
but some places are valet only...
In that case I insist I park the car myself or I go somewhere else. I have done that more than once before.
Old 04-12-2002, 12:03 PM   #19
NickACS
BOOM!

My Ride: TWC E46 ETCC WB
Yup, my car will never see the dealer. It hasn't yet! I found my bodyshop here in ATL and they do all my work. Everything from mods to oil change, they do. Even when I hit my first 15k for the free oil change, I will not take it to a dealer. Shoot, I can get it changed for $20 at my bodyshop!! I'll spare the extra $20 everytime than to have a nice fat dent/scratch on my aftermarket bumpers!!!
NickACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 12:04 PM   #20
Jake N
Lord of the Idiots

My Ride: 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to Jake N
I usually leave it at the dealership and go to a nearby mall until it's done but I never let those idiots wash my baby.