E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2004, 02:08 AM   #1
Mpower619
Apexengineering.com

My Ride: 2000 328Ci(e46)
Willow Springs Sept. 11-12 2004

Anyone here by any chance going up to Willow Springs on the 11th and 12th of September. Its a NASA event and I honestly think they are the best. I have a garage and I will more than happy to help any of you going. Good luck and hope to see some of you....

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:32 AM   #2
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

My Ride: B3 epsilon
And I will be at Buttonwillow the same weekend...

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
Supercharged E46 M54B25.
2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!
Track blog.
Technik Engineering oil cap o-ring maintenance kit available.
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 02:19 AM   #3
zdevcic

My Ride: 04' 330ci
I have never been to an autox or track event, but I REALLY want to go. I am only 18, is it still possible? if it is then I will try and go to that for sure. thanks in advance for the info.
zdevcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:19 AM   #4
Mpower619
Apexengineering.com

sure its possible, as long as you have a valid drivers license. This is how it works, NASA host a variety of racing series and there are stepping stones you can follow if you have no experience at all. Those stepping stones are the HPDE classes. There is HPDE 1 thru 4. HPDE 1 is a school so you only have to do it once, but you still get plenty of track times, as a mater of fact you will get just as much as everyone at the track. After HPDE 1 you go into HPDE 2 where there is less class talk, and some instructor driving, limited passing. After HPDE 2 you ask your instructor to sign your log book( I forgot to mention you get a log book to measure your progress) and he will know if you are ready for HPDE 3. HPDE 3 is a bit harder because you are completely on your own, still limited passing but its mostly practice. You still will have to report to what we call download sessions which occur after you have gotten off the track. All of your group will talk about your experience, problems, anything you would like to share as a group, basically ask questions. HPDE 4 is harder to get into, you will have to prove to your instructor that you are worthy, safe, and a fast paced driver. HPDE 4 is advanced you will have other drivers who climbed up throught the levels and you will have experienced race car drivers who are practicing, or are not racing so are driving the family car and so on. HPDE 4 is also where the race groups also sneak into so that they can set up their cars and be ready for their race. HPDE 4 is also shared with ME or better said the time trial group. I must mention HPDE 4 is for real, open passing anywhere and any way one can. you can get passed in a corner under braking or on straights. HPDE 3 some cars have R compounds and some dont. HPDE 4 all have R compound tires. By the time you get to group four you will already be very acquainted with Marshals, organizers and regulars so its really easy at that level to get your race license. Or you can start competing in the Time trial group which ever suits you best. Its fun. I must mention, I mean just in case you are in a hurry, it usually takes about a whole season before you reach HPDE 4 status, unless you are Michael schumacker, but I have seen it done. If you have any questions PM me or visit Nasa's website, www.NASAPRORACING.com O by the way HPDE class DOESN'T require you to have a roll cage. I hope this isnt to long. If you want to go and watch Ill be there saturday and sunday. Silver E46 coupe 328. Car #10.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:26 PM   #5
Mpower619
Apexengineering.com

Ok, guys here are some pics that I took at the track, no action shots since I went alone.

http://photos.e46fanatics.com/showph...cat/500/page/1

Old 09-17-2004, 12:38 AM   #6
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

My Ride: B3 epsilon
Missed this post...

Thanks for the pics. Good to see another bimmer at the tracks! Btw, are those magnetic numbers? Or vinyl decals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower619
Ok, guys here are some pics that I took at the track, no action shots since I went alone.

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
Supercharged E46 M54B25.
2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!
Track blog.
Technik Engineering oil cap o-ring maintenance kit available.
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 02:19 AM   #7
Mpower619
Apexengineering.com

they are vinyl. I bought ten sets for the whole season. I take them off when I come home. Thanks for the support, we BMW drivers have to show everyone else that we know how to drive our cars and are not just snobs in expensive toys. I hope you had fun. Good luck in future rides..