E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2004, 02:30 PM   #1
David328Ci
Wohnhafter perverser Mensch

My Ride: Pimpin '99 Sentra X(
Send a message via AIM to David328Ci
What are some good groups to go with to the track in SoCal?

I've gone a few times with this one group called SpeedTrial USA. It's ok but there's a ton of cars and sometimes it's not that organized. I was wondering if there's some other groups that I can go with to the track. Also, is there anywhere else to go? I've been to Willow Springs and Buttonwillow.
David328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:57 PM   #2
Commander FAT
Network Analyst

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Join BMW CCA and attend events by your local chapter.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:29 PM   #3
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

My Ride: B3 epsilon
SpeedTrial USA is horrible. Last event, I attended one session and left. I was about 3 feet away from being t-boned by someone who tried to drift pass me in a hair pin.

Tommy is a cool guy but I think he's not enforcing the safety rules very well. Frankly, I am still surprised how he can stay in business. FYI, BMW CCA chapters have an average of about 0.3 accidents per event. National average is 3 per event. I don't even want to imagine what's SpeedTrial's average. Some of the drivers are just plain reckless and senseless. Once they sent out a "race driver" in a novice group.

BMW CCA chapters like LA, SD, Golden Gate and Central Calif have track schools all year round. 2-day Buttonwillow just ended last weekend. Upcoming is Sears Point by Golden Gate in November.

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
Supercharged E46 M54B25.
2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!
Track blog.
Technik Engineering oil cap o-ring maintenance kit available.
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 12:58 AM   #4
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
If you were a USC student I'd suggest joining our newly formed Trojan Motorsports club...we are going to setup track events, karting events, dyno days etc...We welcome alumni, students (both undergrad and grad), faculty etc...
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 01:22 AM   #5
brusso

My Ride: 02 M3 Steel Gray
Send a message via Yahoo to brusso
I'm up for a track day........... Does anyone know how BMW NA feels about this as far as warranty goes ? I don't want to go to the track and find out my warranty has been voided. I think my buddy who is a mechanic for a local BMW dealer said it was cool and not to worry about.

When is the next so cal track day............
brusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 01:43 AM   #6
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by brusso
I'm up for a track day........... Does anyone know how BMW NA feels about this as far as warranty goes ? I don't want to go to the track and find out my warranty has been voided. I think my buddy who is a mechanic for a local BMW dealer said it was cool and not to worry about.

When is the next so cal track day............
It specifically says on the car that any timed or competitive events break the warranty...on the other hand who is ever going to know? I have been to several autocrosses and still maintain my warranty
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 02:38 AM   #7
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paddle.Shift
SpeedTrial USA is horrible. Last event, I attended one session and left. I was about 3 feet away from being t-boned by someone who tried to drift pass me in a hair pin.

Tommy is a cool guy but I think he's not enforcing the safety rules very well. Frankly, I am still surprised how he can stay in business. FYI, BMW CCA chapters have an average of about 0.3 accidents per event. National average is 3 per event. I don't even want to imagine what's SpeedTrial's average. Some of the drivers are just plain reckless and senseless. Once they sent out a "race driver" in a novice group.

BMW CCA chapters like LA, SD, Golden Gate and Central Calif have track schools all year round. 2-day Buttonwillow just ended last weekend. Upcoming is Sears Point by Golden Gate in November.
Which speedtrial did you go to? I been to three of them this year, in jan, may, august and nothing seemed wrong to me, although I heard a lot of moaning and complaining in the pits.

Only accidents I saw at speed trial was during the challenge cup when a ferrari driver was being a retard, but that portion doesnt' count lol.

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
New for 2014: V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow Form
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 02:40 AM   #8
VMRWheels
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWERKEN
It specifically says on the car that any timed or competitive events break the warranty...on the other hand who is ever going to know? I have been to several autocrosses and still maintain my warranty
There was a few incidents in the EVOVIII boards that Mitsubishi went into the online sign-in sheets and voided out warranty of the EVO's that were signed up. My friend has seen Mitsubishi who sent out district reps to tracks to copy down license plate numbers... which is why he tapes up the plates on his EVO

Old 09-15-2004, 09:29 AM   #9
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

Went to 2 events back in 2002. I never looked back ever. I admitted that I wanted something cheap. But it ended up not worth the risks at all.

Perhaps things have changed over the last year or so. I recommend that you participate a CCA event, then you will see what's being and should be done right at a driving event.

For instance, what's speedtrial's policy of drivers who go 4 wheels off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelocityMotoring
Which speedtrial did you go to? I been to three of them this year, in jan, may, august and nothing seemed wrong to me, although I heard a lot of moaning and complaining in the pits.

Only accidents I saw at speed trial was during the challenge cup when a ferrari driver was being a retard, but that portion doesnt' count lol.

Supercharged E46 M54B25.
Track blog.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:29 AM   #10
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWERKEN
If you were a USC student I'd suggest joining our newly formed Trojan Motorsports club...we are going to setup track events, karting events, dyno days etc...We welcome alumni, students (both undergrad and grad), faculty etc...
I actually know someone who might be involved in this club. Is this an off-shoot from SAE club?

Supercharged E46 M54B25.
Track blog.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:38 AM   #11
Mpower619
Apexengineering.com

My Ride: 2000 328Ci(e46)
I surprized to hear nobody mention NASA...I have driven all of the other organizations and I think its the best if not one of the better ones. But you can also go to touring car club, pantera club or even the alpha romeo club.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:20 AM   #12
jmsanders78

My Ride: 328i, Z4
As far as warranty goes, I think they do know about track events. I happen to live near the dealer that is rated #3 in the US for customer satisfaction, so my experience may not be anything like that of other people. Having said that, for my first ever DE I had my dealer do the technical inspection. I destroyed the brake pads and rotors on the car (no pads left - just backing plates) at the track and took the car in the Monday after the event asking for a brake job under full maintenance. I realized that this was unlikely, but I wasn't hiding anything from the dealer since they knew what I'd been doing. I talked to the techs and they said that they could tell the brakes had seen very high temperatures because of the way the calipers were rusting. I think the tire wear would be a give away as for marbles stuck up in the wheelwells and other places. Anyway, the service manager called BMWNA and told them the whole story and BMW paid for rotors, pads and the labor. I think it was a one-time deal, but they actually did it. Never had any trouble with warranty work after that, but I also didn't have a ton of warranty remaining and I haven't had any major problems that could reasonably be pinned on track use.
jmsanders78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:30 AM   #13
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

You probably have more experiences with NASA than most of us here in So Cal. Care to explain the differences between NASA and CCA HPDE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower619
I surprized to hear nobody mention NASA...I have driven all of the other organizations and I think its the best if not one of the better ones. But you can also go to touring car club, pantera club or even the alpha romeo club.

Supercharged E46 M54B25.
Track blog.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:36 AM   #14
GordonMurray
Banned

My Ride: A German Motorcoach.
Pca.
GordonMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 12:47 PM   #15
Mpower619
Apexengineering.com

My Ride: 2000 328Ci(e46)
I used to race with cca and I dont think they have anything else to offer but schools and racing, unless things have changed. NASA has many classes even some for cars without cages. For example I am currently competing in a regional time trial series with my E46 street car no cage. I dont know if CCA offers that kind of class. And for those who are going to the track for the first time then they also offer schools. I did the cca stuff about 7 years ago thats why I dont know if they have changed...
Old 09-16-2004, 03:32 PM   #16
VMRWheels
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paddle.Shift
Went to 2 events back in 2002. I never looked back ever. I admitted that I wanted something cheap. But it ended up not worth the risks at all.

Perhaps things have changed over the last year or so. I recommend that you participate a CCA event, then you will see what's being and should be done right at a driving event.

For instance, what's speedtrial's policy of drivers who go 4 wheels off?
During the few times I went to speedtrial, they were missing some corner workers, but my class had 20 cars over a 3 mile track, so I'm driving by myself most of the session. I do agree they need to be a bit more aggressive in terms of flagging people though.

Their policy for 4-wheel off is to return to the hot pits for a car inspection. They were pretty good at that, because I went offroading to avoid hitting a spinning Honda and they flagged me in at the next corner

I do have a CCA membership, but I choose the events based on convenience, and the other club we sponsor gets heavy discounts at STUSA.

Old 09-16-2004, 03:34 PM   #17
VMRWheels
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsanders78
As far as warranty goes, I think they do know about track events. I happen to live near the dealer that is rated #3 in the US for customer satisfaction, so my experience may not be anything like that of other people. Having said that, for my first ever DE I had my dealer do the technical inspection. I destroyed the brake pads and rotors on the car (no pads left - just backing plates) at the track and took the car in the Monday after the event asking for a brake job under full maintenance. I realized that this was unlikely, but I wasn't hiding anything from the dealer since they knew what I'd been doing. I talked to the techs and they said that they could tell the brakes had seen very high temperatures because of the way the calipers were rusting. I think the tire wear would be a give away as for marbles stuck up in the wheelwells and other places. Anyway, the service manager called BMWNA and told them the whole story and BMW paid for rotors, pads and the labor. I think it was a one-time deal, but they actually did it. Never had any trouble with warranty work after that, but I also didn't have a ton of warranty remaining and I haven't had any major problems that could reasonably be pinned on track use.
Man, you got lucky! I was afraid to bring the car in for a scheduled maintenance until I got new tires on! But then again, the service techs were asking why I had new tires with less than 5000 miles

Old 09-16-2004, 04:52 PM   #18
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

Very interesting. So you do have quite a bit of motorsport history there! Care to share? In which case, does a name Carl McGinn rings a bell or two?

You're right. CCA offerrs driving events and racing events. But nothing in between, ie time trials and such. That's because CCA chapters are extremely particular about dealing with insurance companies. You figure, some of the chapter committee members are attorneys, hence you can imagine the number of waivers we have to sign. And yes, no convertibles. Racing schools are offered by Driving Concepts to prepare students for CCA racing events. With your kind of background, there is no need to attend the CCA driving events. I am planning once I move up from B to A, I will start to venture into other driving events. By then, I will have a lot to learn from folks like yourself.

We have a group of So Calers who are attending CCA driving events religiously. The boys just got back from Buttonwillow last weekend and heading off to Sears Point in November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower619
I used to race with cca and I dont think they have anything else to offer but schools and racing, unless things have changed. NASA has many classes even some for cars without cages. For example I am currently competing in a regional time trial series with my E46 street car no cage. I dont know if CCA offers that kind of class. And for those who are going to the track for the first time then they also offer schools. I did the cca stuff about 7 years ago thats why I dont know if they have changed...

Supercharged E46 M54B25.
Track blog.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:56 PM   #19
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelocityMotoring
Their policy for 4-wheel off is to return to the hot pits for a car inspection. They were pretty good at that, because I went offroading to avoid hitting a spinning Honda and they flagged me in at the next corner
Unfortunately, 4-wheel off at a CCA event comes with more than an inspection but also a one-to-one talk with the chief instructor, a stern warning and reciting the entire incident in front of the entire class. Did I mention that it will go onto your student record for all CCA chapters to look at?

A second time off in the same day, they will send you packing. No refund.

Supercharged E46 M54B25.
Track blog.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:00 PM   #20
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

Want a tip about getting dealers to change your rotors/pads under warranty?

A service manager attended the CCA event last weekend and gave everyone a tip. BMW NA will not honor pads replacement unless the brake light is on (ie you have rubbed the sensor). And BMW NA will not honor rotors that have a blue tint to the surface.

Tip is to drive around town for a week to get rid of the blue tint before sending into the dealer. As for the brake light, just file the damn sensor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsanders78

Supercharged E46 M54B25.
Track blog.