E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 01:14 AM   #1
chicken8

My Ride: '08 5 series
driver side door will not unlock with remote but will lock with remote

320ci. broken into before (screwdriver into the keyhole)

i had the barrel replaced and the door will lock and unlock with the key

when you unlock the car the driver door won't unlock. passenger side door will when you press unlock a second time

and when you lock the car all doors lock fine

passenger side door auto locks at 20km/hr and driver side door doesnt

seems to me like its the central locking unit on the driver side door? does anyone have any experience with this or know of which part to replace and the cost? is it a DIY?
chicken8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:16 AM   #2
SilverBullet99

My Ride: 323ci
I have a similar issue with my passenger side door, car hasn't been broken into, but sometimes it sticks, won't unlock..it always locks though. I sprayed a little bit of WD-40 in there with that little straw that comes with the can, and that helped...for a little while. I also notice that if I hold the unlock key for a solid two seconds instead of just a quick push, more often than not it will open.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "Woo hoo! What a ride!"
SilverBullet99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:24 AM   #3
chicken8

so you think its not a parts issue but just a bit of maintenance?

guess i'll try WD40 and see how that goes. where abouts did you spray it into
Old 09-11-2009, 03:59 AM   #4
bmwbun
Banned

My Ride: Pre-facelift Coupe
I experienced some sporadic door lock/unlock issues using the remote. When I replaced my old 12V car battery the door lock issues went away.
bmwbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:12 AM   #5
SilverBullet99

My Ride: 323ci
I sprayed directly into the door, put a old rag around the spot, to ensure no spray on the door trim, pushed the door pin to the side and sprayed right in there...but lIke I said...it helped, but didn't solve the issue all together.
No way am I going to the dealer to have it looked at though...at their hourly rate..no thx.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "Woo hoo! What a ride!"
SilverBullet99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:18 AM   #6
THATS FRESH

My Ride: SSHNIPER
Send a message via AIM to THATS FRESH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbun View Post
i experienced some sporadic door lock/unlock issues using the remote. When i replaced my old 12v car battery the door lock issues went away.
+1
Old 09-11-2009, 06:21 AM   #7
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
After locking using the central console button, unlocking using the key will not unlock the passenger door. This is normal and a security feature. For the key to work on the passenger door, the central button should not be used to lock the car. Alternatively unlock the car using the central button, then the key will work as expected.

People on this forum need to learn they shouldn't go around fixing things when these ain't broken.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:23 AM   #8
THATS FRESH

My Ride: SSHNIPER
Send a message via AIM to THATS FRESH
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
After locking using the central console button, unlocking using the key will not unlock the passenger door. This is normal and a security feature. For the key to work on the passenger door, the central button should not be used to lock the car. Alternatively unlock the car using the central button, then the key will work as expected.

People on this forum need to learn they shouldn't go around fixing things when these ain't broken.
OP is talking about drivers side door not unlocking from key...
Old 09-11-2009, 06:30 AM   #9
MitchSF

My Ride: 11 M3 DCT
Check this for another possibility:

http://www.bmwgm5.com/
MitchSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
GoingNuts, Huh, what are you talking about? Did the read what OP wrote. Never mind.

NEVER spray WD-40 into anything. That suff is NOT A LUBRICANT and does not claim to be a lubricant. It is a Water Displacer, hence the WD and it's the 40th version. It was first used to keep the Atlas rocket skin from corrodeing. WD-40 seems like a light oil at first, but, after a few days when the light oils evaporate you are left with a thick oily film that does not run down vertical surfaces (that's what protect the rocket skin from corroding). That thick oil will gum up the works of any lock and cause more problems. Ok, enough of that. Back to the OP's question.

chicken8. Did you driver's door lock problems start suddenly or did they get worse over time? Is it worse on hot days and better when the temp is more mild? If it started suddenly and is not temperature related then replace the door lock actuator assembly. If the problem got worse over time or is temperature dependent then it's likely the door lock relays in the GM5 module. Generally these are the causes, but, not in every case. If you have access to a scan tool that can read codes out of the GM5 (not a Peake tool) like Carsoft or the GT-1 that the dealer uses it will tell you relay failure.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #11
chicken8

problem started when the car was broken into

they didnt succeed but stuck a screw driver through the keyhole

i had the barrel replaced. and since then the remote central locking only unlocks the passenger door on its second click. you can hear the motor running when you press the unlock button once. but the door doesnt unlock. it does unlock with the key

everything works fine from remote when locking

auto lock at 20kph works for passenger side door only. driver side door does not auto lock. but i suspect thats because when i unlock the whole car. i have to then unlock the driver side door with the key. perhaps its telling the program to not autolock driver side door. only passenger side
Old 09-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #12
chicken8

just an update. the door unlock button next to the hazard lights inside the car doesnt work for drivers door either

so i think its a central locking thing

will take it to the mechanic and see. most likely would need an extra part i guess
Old 04-10-2017, 11:53 AM   #13
bRkiX

My Ride: 330ci cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken8 View Post
just an update. the door unlock button next to the hazard lights inside the car doesnt work for drivers door either

so i think its a central locking thing

will take it to the mechanic and see. most likely would need an extra part i guess

ever solved this... how? havim exactly the same issue
bRkiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:35 PM   #14
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bRkiX View Post
ever solved this... how? havim exactly the same issue

Basically if it sometimes unlocks the door electronically then it's a general module problem. If it's a 2-dr and it never unlocks the door electronically then it's most likely an actuator problem.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote