E46 Fanatics Forum banner

I have maximized the performance of GruppeM

4K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  Wagon Man 
#1 ·
(Applies to 00 323 with stock spoiler .. may be 328 too):

Here's the killer: it has been argued that GruppeM only has the "look & sound", but it does not take any advantage of colder/cooler air. I found it quite true. The CF hood opens towards the space below & behind the fog light, there is NO opening to the outside .. so where can (sufficient) fresh cold air come from?

Here's what I did yesterday: removed the pastic piece "spoiler grill" (driver side), cut open the middle platsic section (between the 2 horizontal grills), mounted a stainless steel mesh behind it to prevent large debris/stones flying in.

Result: my GruppeM is TRULY feeding with fresh cold air .. kindda like CAI but sitting high up + CF hood!

How do I know? Other than all other subjective improvement form throttle response noted, here's a simple test for the curious bunch: after you have driven the car, you can feel (by hand) that the hood is rather warm .. After the mod, the hood (especially the underside) is COLD.

You can do it outrageouly handsome (prime it, paint it...), or you can try with a quick experimental mod (& dress it up n a later date), the area is way low & recessed, no one can see it .. I did a quick & dirty version with stainless screws & washers .. but will remove the whole thing to paint the screws & mesh to black (matching the spolier).. after I've chilled out from the new found happiness.

See less See more
#4 ·
Dran it, here're the pix

"File too large" error.. pls follow link to view pic:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lewjw/album?.dir=/ced7&.src=ph&.tok=phX40wBBw1_QirDn

Pix 1 = normal angle, no one can tell a difference, nor causing any "visual damage" ... until I paint it.

Pix 2 = close up view, someone need to bend down to see it

Pix 3 = I keep the section of the stock pipe installed , should keep the "engine side" of the hood cooler than without. No harm, only gain.

(for the curious bunch, you can lift up your GruppeM to examine the area below.. am too lazy to do it & take pix)

What do you think?

#7 ·
BMWERKEN: pls read, that why I stated "..applies to 00 323 ...". am not suggesting 01 or beyond.

Davidwarren: I did think of adding some curve-up piece (plastic/metal whatever..) to direct air flow upward to the filter. But upon looking into that area closer, it is a DEAD-END space: air goes in , air goes up... so why bother.. and the filter sitting up there will be sucking the trapped air anyway.

In reality "dead-end" of course is not a "dead-end" due to gaps in the area, but BMW did not design anything whatsoever as venting function. The way I see it, majority of the air goes in there has no where to go but to feed the "hungry filter" waiting above.

#9 · (Edited)
indieZHP said:
Theres a similiar mod that one can do to the Mtec bumper to feed cooler air to the GruppeM that Iniquity started doing.
[/URL]
I know, but am no 330, have no round fog light. Just thought many GruppeM with 00 stock spoiler can take my advantage ... since when I asked for input about 1 week ago, there wasn't ANY response.

So possibilities are:

1. none of the 00 E46 owners with GruppeM keeps the stock spoiler
2. none of the 00 E46 owners has GruppeM
3. None of the above #1 cares to feed their GruppeM with cold air
4. or none of them wanted to share..

#11 ·
BattleWagon said:
:woot: Cool, now that you got that taking care of...when are you getting the Shark Injector to really reap the benefits of your nice new cool air flow?????????????????????????
Hi Battle... am still "battling" between Shark & PowerChip ... should know soon...

Congrat on your Shark .. .. so far so good? ... and you're on 92 octane, right?

#12 ·
Wagon Man said:
Hi Battle... am still "battling" between Shark & PowerChip ... should know soon...

I wish 92, only 91 here in CA but no problems just sensations...going for the big bucks I see...powerchip too deep for my pockets...

Nice job on the bumper but that looks like my 2001 bumper. Once you paint the screws and washers it will really look invisible!

#13 ·
Wagon Man said:
(Applies to 00 323 with stock spoiler .. may be 328 too):

Here's the killer: it has been argued that GruppeM only has the "look & sound", but it does not take any advantage of colder/cooler air. I found it quite true. The CF hood opens towards the space below & behind the fog light, there is NO opening to the outside .. so where can (sufficient) fresh cold air come from?

Here's what I did yesterday: removed the pastic piece "spoiler grill" (driver side), cut open the middle platsic section (between the 2 horizontal grills), mounted a stainless steel mesh behind it to prevent large debris/stones flying in.

Result: my GruppeM is TRULY feeding with fresh cold air .. kindda like CAI but sitting high up + CF hood!

How do I know? Other than all other subjective improvement form throttle response noted, here's a simple test for the curious bunch: after you have driven the car, you can feel (by hand) that the hood is rather warm .. After the mod, the hood (especially the underside) is COLD.

You can do it outrageouly handsome (prime it, paint it...), or you can try with a quick experimental mod (& dress it up n a later date), the area is way low & recessed, no one can see it .. I did a quick & dirty version with stainless screws & washers .. but will remove the whole thing to paint the screws & mesh to black (matching the spolier).. after I've chilled out from the new found happiness.
How about putting a ScanTool on it and measuring the intake air temp? Mine runs around 115-120 degrees with a Conforti intake - (which doesn't use the same air route as the GruppeM)

#15 ·
jwhitby said:
How about putting a ScanTool on it and measuring the intake air temp? Mine runs around 115-120 degrees with a Conforti intake - (which doesn't use the same air route as the GruppeM)

I actually did that one time... outside temp was about 100 deg... intake temp averaged 140-145 deg... I would have hoped it would be closer to the outside temperature..

i just drove to cali this past weekend and what not after my mod.. glad they meshes didn't pop out.. anyway.. yea.. that metal "nose" on the gruppem filter is now always cool... or at least close to the same temp as the outside air.. before it would pretty hot.... i'll borrow my friends scantool again to confirm.. but one thing is for sure..

cruising the interstates..i have noticed I huge difference at high speeds.. 80+ speeds that is.. especially 5th and 6th.. i can actually feel a little jerk when i give it gas in 5th or 6th gear at interstate speeds.. :) .. but I think that's because I'm getting more of the ram effect at those speeds, because now more air is coming in than the gruppem can suck in.... and at 80+ mph is causing quite a little bit of pressure in that little compartment.. :dunno: :dunno:

#16 ·
Iniquity said:
I actually did that one time... outside temp was about 100 deg... intake temp averaged 140-145 deg... I would have hoped it would be closer to the outside temperature..

i just drove to cali this past weekend and what not after my mod.. glad they meshes didn't pop out.. anyway.. yea.. that metal "nose" on the gruppem filter is now always cool... or at least close to the same temp as the outside air.. before it would pretty hot.... i'll borrow my friends scantool again to confirm.. but one thing is for sure..

cruising the interstates..i have noticed I huge difference at high speeds.. 80+ speeds that is.. especially 5th and 6th.. i can actually feel a little jerk when i give it gas in 5th or 6th gear at interstate speeds.. :) .. but I think that's because I'm getting more of the ram effect at those speeds, because now more air is coming in than the gruppem can suck in.... and at 80+ mph is causing quite a little bit of pressure in that little compartment.. :dunno: :dunno:
I think we've just nailed it ..

yesterday, with the CF hood lifted up exposing the space down below, I used a blower to blow towards the mesh, I can feel the air is definitely channel UPWARD where the filter sits.

I suspect that air temp in our case should be LOWER!

#17 ·
Wagon Man said:

You're JLew from roadfly? Nice mod... I will be doing something similar as I have the same bumper but I will drill holes instead.

I will be installing the Shark this weekend. I was debating also between the Shark and something similar to Powerchip. I went with the install convenience of the Shark.

#18 ·
jmalixi said:
You're JLew from roadfly? Nice mod... I will be doing something similar as I have the same bumper but I will drill holes instead.

I will be installing the Shark this weekend. I was debating also between the Shark and something similar to Powerchip. I went with the install convenience of the Shark.
Hi jmalixi! Yep .. same me. Have fun this weekend, guess if you don't like the result (i.e. drilling holes) from look & from functional persepctives, you can always open it up like I did ... but I suggest you start with the mid section first (between the 2 ribs).

As for s/w, I need to find more info re Winter months, my area oxygennate the gas for 4 months .. unsure how it may affect octane level ==> potential engine ping? Also, "convenience" may mean up to 10 times, just that you know.

btw, Rennsports has RE pulliues on sales, I just ordered mine yesterday.

#22 ·
AMG EATER said:
would a mod on a Rieger M3 bumper be necessary or no? I have the M3 brake ducts too. :dunno:
Sorry I dunno for sure in your case as I don't have your spoiler nor have seen one in person ... but IMHO, as long as there is NO fresh air feeding the GruppeM with your current set up, you better go "create" one ...

Good luck.

#24 ·
jmalixi said:
You've been bitten by the mod bug :woot.
Are you on RF too? what's your ID over there?

Bugged? Too bad but yes... I almost sold the wagon (I had a power thirst then) , but I was at a loss when the guy agreed to my price .. FORTUNATELY he back off after he found that I'm a smoker (occasional then, but I'm in my 7th week without one)... anyway I LOVE my wagon, it will be sold ONLY when there is a "330iT" or "M3-T" .. if my wish would come true.

Anyway, here I am, trying to squeeze everything I can find from this puny but wonderful & problemless 323 wagon. .. but I may be in a process to bring out some gremlins though ....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.