E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-20-2004, 02:20 AM   #1
PHAHEEM
In Pursuit of My J.D.

My Ride: Honda Accord
Send a message via AIM to PHAHEEM
Teaching a friend how to drive a Manual 5-speed...

My buddy just picked up a 2004 WRX 5-speed and needs some help with his manual driving skills...what do you guys suggest I do to help him learn the right way so he doesn't money-shift like Dieselboy did?

And what are those websites that show you the proper way of holding the shift knob, feet placement, etc?

04 Triple Black 330CiC [sold]
02 TiAg 325Ci [sold]
PHAHEEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 02:24 AM   #2
m3on20z
Sh!t Happens.

My Ride: W203 dumped on 20's
Send a message via AIM to m3on20z
Heres the site...

http://www.shortshifter.com/techniques2.htm

Ohh and when I was learning manual...I rented a car for a day, and beat the **** out of that, and I got the hang of it...
m3on20z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 02:25 AM   #3
TuRBoIS300
Banned

My Ride: FI IS300 OR 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faheem Daddy
My buddy just picked up a 2004 WRX 5-speed and needs some help with his manual driving skills...what do you guys suggest I do to help him learn the right way so he doesn't money-shift like Dieselboy did?

And what are those websites that show you the proper way of holding the shift knob, feet placement, etc?
YOu should ask him to ask Dieselboy how he learned to drive stick, then tell your buddy to do the complete opposite.
TuRBoIS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 02:28 AM   #4
Commander FAT
Network Analyst

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRBoIS300
YOu should ask him to ask Dieselboy how he learned to drive stick, then tell your buddy to do the complete opposite.

Don't try to teach him how to down shift. Just tell him clutch in, brake in and coast.

The hardest thing is just starting from a stop. It was for me at least.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:30 AM   #5
Cesium 911
Banned

My Ride: Cessna 182 S2
Send a message via AIM to Cesium 911
For now only teach him what he will HAVE to use.....don't even mention anything in the order of Heel-Toe or Ball-Edge....it will just confuse him.....Just teach him how to go and up-shift
Cesium 911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 02:33 AM   #6
PHAHEEM
In Pursuit of My J.D.

My Ride: Honda Accord
Send a message via AIM to PHAHEEM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRBoIS300

Thanks guys keep 'em coming..

04 Triple Black 330CiC [sold]
02 TiAg 325Ci [sold]
PHAHEEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 02:38 AM   #7
g2go1818
Party Times!

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to g2go1818
I don't know how it is on a WRX but i assume the car will engage and run without even using the gas (this is how it is on my e46). This is by far the easiest way to get a feel for the clutch. Only use the clutch, and let it out slowly until the car starts rolling, doing this you will be able to find the engage point and from then start fiddling with the clutch and gas pedal. Also try learning barefoot, i think it is easy to learn that way, becuase you can get a better feel of the clutch. This is my biased opinion.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:11 AM   #8
cokane5227

My Ride: is slow
Tell him to keep thinking about driving all day so he can dream about driving all night. Well..... it's what I did before I ever drove a manual, I kept dreaming about driving one at night, so when I got a chance to drive one, I just hopped in and went on my merry way (it was exactly like I dreamed). Lol.
cokane5227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 03:29 AM   #9
Cesium 911
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2go1818
I don't know how it is on a WRX but i assume the car will engage and run without even using the gas (this is how it is on my e46). This is by far the easiest way to get a feel for the clutch. Only use the clutch, and let it out slowly until the car starts rolling, doing this you will be able to find the engage point and from then start fiddling with the clutch and gas pedal. Also try learning barefoot, i think it is easy to learn that way, becuase you can get a better feel of the clutch. This is my biased opinion.
But a good opinion none the less
Old 09-20-2004, 04:12 AM   #10
Commander FAT
Network Analyst

Stay away from launching uphill.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:21 AM   #11
EDawg

My Ride: :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander FAT
Stay away from launching uphill.

actually, that's probably the best way to teach someone to drive stick. if they can master that, then they can tackle any stick driving situation.
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 06:27 AM   #12
Commander FAT
Network Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDawg
actually, that's probably the best way to teach someone to drive stick. if they can master that, then they can tackle any stick driving situation.
Don't throw a stick newbie onto a hill. That's just a bad idea.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:59 AM   #13
EDawg

My Ride: :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander FAT
Don't throw a stick newbie onto a hill. That's just a bad idea.

naa. it's the best idea. discourage the ones that aren't that serious about learning, and challenge the ones that are committed...
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 12:59 PM   #14
starscream
Broke as hell

My Ride: '01 330xi
haha that reminds me of my friend's experience with driving stick. his uncle took him to the base of a huge hill in socal and got out, put him in the drivers seat and said 'DRIVE!" took a while, but he learned it. i'm ashamed to say i still dont know how to drive stick and i'm 25...many friends have offered, but not with their cars of course...none of my friends had beaters that were manual that they would offer! Gotta go rent a car and give it a shot sometime...

STARSCREAM

BEFORE ACCIDENT '01 330xi

AFTER ACCIDENT '07 Infiniti G35x

starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 01:04 PM   #15
Cecil328i

My Ride: 2000 328i
try using the ebrake on the hill.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:29 PM   #16
TheProdigalDre

My Ride: 2006 ///M3 (ZCP)
Send a message via AIM to TheProdigalDre
I find one the best aides in learning how to drive a stick is first and foremost, understanding exactly what the hell it is you are doing: what the clutch does, how the gears work, why you downshift, why you upshift, and so on...

You would be surprised at how many people out there drive a stick, but in actually have no idea why they are doing what they are doing.

So, two things to read:
1. www.howstuffworks.com Search the articles on "manual transmission" and "clutches." All kinds of pretty pictures and stuff - anyone can learn from this stuff.

2. I don't remember the exact site, but if you go to www.ask.com, search "drive manual transmission" The first, and best article that comes up is one from a site called 10w40.com or something like that. Basically, "Driving a Stick for Dummies"
Good stuff.

2006 ///M3 Competition
Ground Control Coilovers (street/school) | AA software | Supersprint Race | SS X-pipe | Stebro Section 1| DDEs | V1 | CF grilles | VCSL diffuser | etc.

TheProdigalDre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 01:41 PM   #17
silicuda

My Ride: e30, e46 sold, e90
the new girl i just met drives 5spd.. i let her drive my bmw, sexy girl + sexy car = heaven
silicuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 02:19 PM   #18
Cesium 911
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDawg
naa. it's the best idea. discourage the ones that aren't that serious about learning, and challenge the ones that are committed...
Or it discourages the ones that are actually committed....Thats like telling someone to learn Calc before they even know algebra.....
Old 09-20-2004, 02:21 PM   #19
David328Ci
Wohnhafter perverser Mensch

My Ride: Pimpin '99 Sentra X(
Send a message via AIM to David328Ci
When teaching someone to drive stick I usually attempt to encourage them by telling them by saying "Go back to your automatic you pansie!"
David328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 02:22 PM   #20
Cesium 911
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328Ci
When teaching someone to drive stick I usually attempt to encourage them by telling them by saying "Go back to your automatic you pansie!"
You mean "pansy"