E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2004, 04:32 PM   #1
MysticRyde

My Ride: Black *E46*
HELP! Stock head unit and a sub!

Can I run a Sub with an amp off of the stock head unit in my 2001 330i? Thanks guys
MysticRyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-25-2004, 05:58 PM   #2
DocBru

My Ride: 330ci
You will need a high-low adapter (which gives you RCA plugs) or an amp which allows high level input directly from the head unit
Old 09-25-2004, 08:54 PM   #3
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Search "udiocontrol" or go to their website www.audiocontrol.com.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 01:06 AM   #4
gusdagoos

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to gusdagoos
i did this. some amps already have what you need to hook it up. i dont know right now but ill check tomorrow what it is. i just hooked a wire to power, then ground, and then two speaker wires went from amp to rear speaker and then another two speakers wires went from amp to another rear speaker. I can definately tell that if i had an aftermarket headunit i could get better sound and quality but oh well.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:30 AM   #5
DamUTRIPPIN

My Ride: E60 530i
Send a message via AIM to DamUTRIPPIN
some amps have high-level inputs which allow you to just tap into your existing speaker wiring--without the need of rca cables. otherwise, you will need a high/low converter which is an interface that'll convert the speaker level to rca's, then just run those rca's to your amp. i recommend that you get a preamp/line driver from audiocontrol (like mentioned earlier). it'll clean up your sound, and allow high-level inputs (speaker), and low-level outputs (rca).
DamUTRIPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 01:39 AM   #6
gusdagoos

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to gusdagoos
so the audiocontrol will really clean up the sound?
Old 09-26-2004, 11:08 AM   #7
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Audiocontrol builds their processors so that they can be used with just about anything out there by providing the ability to level match the high level input to the input of the amp.

Compared to a LOC, not only do you get slightly better sound, but you get an EQ/Preamp/crossover (on certain models) that you can use if you decide to upgrade your HU/Amp or whatever else in the future.

If you amp works with the OEM HU's balanced outputs, then don't bother with audiocontrol or an LOC. I've heard that Xtant works well with the OEM HU.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote