E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2004, 07:24 AM   #1
skarl

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Question '04 330Ci brake duct covers

Went to my first driving school this weekend and it was awesome!!!
However, I noticed brake fade towards the end of the last session. So looking at the brakes I found a nice brake duct, but the intake at the fog light is covered?!?
Someone said that this is due to liability issues in the US and the Eurospec cars have the open mesh that the grill has. Is that the case? If so, does anyone know the part #? If not, are there any other solutions? Aftermarket, DIY etc...
Thanks!
Stefan
skarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:14 AM   #2
Will ZCPM3

My Ride: ///M3
ive never heard of any of the brake ducts being closed off. but if thats your case you could always swap to an mtech
Old 10-06-2004, 10:38 AM   #3
jmsanders78

My Ride: 328i, Z4
I think I recall reading in several sources that M3 ducts are closed from the factory, but can easily be opened. My 328i had open ducts, so I don't know when the change was made. I took cooling a step further and installed a cooling kit from Bimmerworld that routes air from the duct directly to the inside face of the front rotors, by way of a special backing plate. It's easier to get brake pads that can handle higher temperatures, though.
jmsanders78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 11:12 AM   #4
skarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsanders78
I took cooling a step further and installed a cooling kit from Bimmerworld that routes air from the duct directly to the inside face of the front rotors, by way of a special backing plate. It's easier to get brake pads that can handle higher temperatures, though.
That might be what I'm looking for. What I mean with closed off is obvious from the pic, I was wondering if there is an open mesh instead of the plastic cover?

Thanks for the input,
Stefan

PS This thread shows what Im talking about
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=195960
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6834003.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	94309  
Old 10-06-2004, 01:08 PM   #5
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

My Ride: B3 epsilon
You know the brake duct covers do have a related liability issue. What I gather is that during rainy drive, large water droplets will be airborned onto the brakes and this can cause the brakes to reduce its performance. If a bloke can sue McDonalds for the apparent hot coffee, this is one risk that BMWNA won't take.

That being said, getting a good flow through the ducts will help reduce fade. For the next event, think about upgrading to more aggressive track pads. Btw, which track did you drive on?

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
Supercharged E46 M54B25.
2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!
Track blog.
Technik Engineering oil cap o-ring maintenance kit available.
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 07:16 AM   #6
skarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paddle.Shift
You know the brake duct covers do have a related liability issue. What I gather is that during rainy drive, large water droplets will be airborned onto the brakes and this can cause the brakes to reduce its performance. If a bloke can sue McDonalds for the apparent hot coffee, this is one risk that BMWNA won't take.

That being said, getting a good flow through the ducts will help reduce fade. For the next event, think about upgrading to more aggressive track pads. Btw, which track did you drive on?
I drove on Grattan, and a big THANK YOU to all in the motorcity chapter who put it together. I will be back for more.
Regarding the wet brake issue, I'm well aware of the slight reduction in performance when they are wet. (I have raced motorcycles). I'm also aware that in one revolution of the rotor it dries, so for me it's much more important to keep it cool.
I'm gathering though that there isn't a bmw part # for this part that is open meshed. I'll see if I can throw something together on a DIY basis, but for now I guess a pads upgrade is simpler and better.
Thanks again!
Stefan
Old 10-07-2004, 12:49 PM   #7
jmsanders78

My Ride: 328i, Z4
I went to Grattan with Motor City chapter last year and they do a great event. I went with Windy City chapter this year, and they too do a great job.

I suspect there probably is a European part number you should be able to get. There may be more information about this sort of thing on bimmerforums, so try there.
jmsanders78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 04:43 PM   #8
Elwood

My Ride: Mystic '04 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarl
That might be what I'm looking for. What I mean with closed off is obvious from the pic, I was wondering if there is an open mesh instead of the plastic cover?

Thanks for the input,
Stefan

PS This thread shows what Im talking about
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=195960
That is NOT the brake duct, it IS decoration. Even if you replaced it with mesh, all it will cool is the tire tread.

The true brake duct is here:

Elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 06:38 PM   #9
Chocaine
--

My Ride: '04 330ci
^correct, taking out the foglight won't do anything for the brakes, the plastic wheel well cover(below) would block all air coming in there and route it up.

You can see the opening for the brake duct here.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:14 AM   #10
skarl

I stand corrected! Good thing you stopped me before I ruined the cars exterior with my DIY mesh...
Thanks,
Stefan