E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2004, 01:28 AM   #1
cybrsurf

My Ride: dead: 2000 328i
Rear Speaker Setup

I am going to be upgrading the components in my 2000 328 non-HK sedan up front (already replaced rear deck with stealthboxes) and I was wondering about the rear tweet setup. Is it ok to leave them stock or will that vastly degrade the sound quality? If I end up replacing them, what is the best bet, just get a pair of aftermarket tweets and hook them up to the same amp as the component system up front?

edit: using stock HU and stock amp to drive all speakers... JL 250/1 driving the stealthboxes off of the balanced line from the HU.
cybrsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:18 PM   #2
SAB30

My Ride: '00 328Ci
Just a word of caution on upgrading your front speakers to the factory amp.

I have 2000 328Ci non HK. My intent was to upgrade the speakers only as I already had them from a previous car. The stock speakers use the cross over in the factory amp, and the impedence is imbalanced on the stock speakers, the woofer is 2 ohm, the mid and tweet 8 ohm. You will need to use the factory crossovers instead of the crossovers that come with your upgraded speakers, and you will likely have to get some power resistors to place in parrallel/series with the speakers to bring everything to 8 ohms so the speaker output from the tweeter is at the same level as the woofer. It works okay, but I couldn't get the volume output quite right, so I ended up adding an amp.... didn't like the VEN4 so I added a new head unit.... needed more power so I added another amp for the fronts.... now I have noise.

Not sure if it ever ends
SAB30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 09:11 PM   #3
cybrsurf

My Ride: dead: 2000 328i
I am using an aftermarket amp, so that should bypass the crossover problem. Also, did you leave the factory midbass speaker that is not replaced in a 2 way component system? and did you leave the rear tweet running off of the factory amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB30
Just a word of caution on upgrading your front speakers to the factory amp.

I have 2000 328Ci non HK. My intent was to upgrade the speakers only as I already had them from a previous car. The stock speakers use the cross over in the factory amp, and the impedence is imbalanced on the stock speakers, the woofer is 2 ohm, the mid and tweet 8 ohm. You will need to use the factory crossovers instead of the crossovers that come with your upgraded speakers, and you will likely have to get some power resistors to place in parrallel/series with the speakers to bring everything to 8 ohms so the speaker output from the tweeter is at the same level as the woofer. It works okay, but I couldn't get the volume output quite right, so I ended up adding an amp.... didn't like the VEN4 so I added a new head unit.... needed more power so I added another amp for the fronts.... now I have noise.

Not sure if it ever ends
cybrsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 08:08 AM   #4
SAB30

My Ride: '00 328Ci
On the fronts.... No I did not leave the factory mid in place, I believe this will cause a couple of problems.
1. The 2 way components are meant to be played as a system, If you left the factory mid, you would just be overlapping sound in the middle from a presumably pourer quality/sounding speaker, thus not getting the best sound you could get.
2. How would you cross-over to the factory mid, use the component cross over?
3. Your after market components are probably 4 ohm, the factory mid is 8 ohm... so the factory mid, and the aftermarket components would play at different volume.

I would definately not keep the factory mid up front with the new aftermarket 2 way components.

On the rears... I just left the factory tweet dead. I mounted some 4" two way components that I had in the rear for fill. I am now thinking I will remove them so the bass can get into the cabin from the trunk, not sure I want to cut out the ski pass. If I were you I would put the components up front, the stealths in the rear, and leave the rear tweets dead. I think that is what most people using the stealth boxes do.

Shawn
SAB30 is offline   Reply With Quote