E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports – this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2004, 10:21 PM   #1
FRANCO
Masterdebator

My Ride: Your Mom
Costs and tips of Autocrossing

I was wondering how much it costs (and some things i need) to join the SCCA/BMWCCA, like from the time i join to the time i actually get to race.....I've been really itching to track the ZHP

Mods:p46 6000K Headlights,M3 Steering Wheel,LED Taillights,M Footrest,Smoked Turn Signals,Smoked Sidemarkers,MTech II kit,CS Splitters,Gray Instrument Panel, Red Marker DIY,Ion Yellow Foglights/High Beams,Akebono Brake Pads, Smart Chrome/Leather Gear Selector,18" Staggered CSLs

Future Mods:,H&R Sport Springs,Tint,ECIS Intake,M Lip Spoiler,OEM Aluminum Pedal Set,OEM M3 Mirrors
FRANCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:27 PM   #2
mach330

My Ride: E90 AW ///M3
just join the bmwcca (go to the website and sign up). it cost $45 or so a year (you also get a subscription to roundel magazine). for the autocross events, it's $40 for the whole day which includes lunch. hurry up and join, there's one at SD (Qualcomm Stadium) next weekend (10/23).
Old 10-14-2004, 10:32 PM   #3
FRANCO
Masterdebator

there's nothing i need to know, like is there anything i need to buy for my car? how long have you been autocrossing?

Mods:p46 6000K Headlights,M3 Steering Wheel,LED Taillights,M Footrest,Smoked Turn Signals,Smoked Sidemarkers,MTech II kit,CS Splitters,Gray Instrument Panel, Red Marker DIY,Ion Yellow Foglights/High Beams,Akebono Brake Pads, Smart Chrome/Leather Gear Selector,18" Staggered CSLs

Future Mods:,H&R Sport Springs,Tint,ECIS Intake,M Lip Spoiler,OEM Aluminum Pedal Set,OEM M3 Mirrors
Old 10-14-2004, 10:32 PM   #4
MrMotorwerk
Der Meisterstück

My Ride: '02 330Ci
BMWCCA

$40/DAY + LUNCH

Meet other like minded individuals with a passion for BMWs

You really don't need to spend anymore money than that, unless you are trying to win the TIRERACK SCCA PRO SOLO2 CHAMPIONSHIP.

Most people at the BMWCCA run stock cars with street tires, however you do also get some people who run in different classifications that have RACE tires/wheels.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:35 PM   #5
mach330

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANCO
there's nothing i need to know, like is there anything i need to buy for my car? how long have you been autocrossing?
nopes...you can tape up your car (around the bumpers if you like) w/ carpenters tape. other than that...just bring sunscreen. i've only gone once and it was a blast. you learn a lot about your car. my goal is just to improve. i'm not trying to win or anything just get better. hope to see you there.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:37 PM   #6
MrMotorwerk
Der Meisterstück

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANCO
Get a really good tire gauge. (monitor your tire pressures, usually people run +5 psi however after your first run you will need to check the pressures again because heat = expansion)

Get a aircompressor or air tank. (to top off your tire pressures)

Get a tarp, so you can put all the loose stuff as well as the stuff in your trunk on it. You need to empty your car before you go out on the course.

A foldable canvas chair to sit on between the run groups!
Old 10-14-2004, 10:40 PM   #7
mach330

good suggestion...my friend brought some folding chairs and that was a great idea.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:40 PM   #8
notE46
Where am I?

My Ride: M Coupe
You don't really need to buy anything to start autoxing.

The only thing you really need is a tire pressure gauge and you can easily borrow that.

For BMW CCA most chapters will let you run 1 autox before you become a member.

For most SCCA you can run without being a member but you pay a little more (btw they don't provide lunch). Some SCCA regions require you to be a member to run, like SF Region.

Both BMWCCA and SCCA events will have helmet to loan out (most of the time free but sometimes a small fee).

I've been autoxing on and off for about 5 years now and I do it for fun and for person gain/pleasure. It's great, you'd be amazed what someone with great driving skills can do with your stock car, then you try to duplicate it and realize that you really can't drive worth shieet

BMW CCA event (most of them) will have instructors available so I would recommend going with them first. There is an event for the LA chapter BMW CCA club this sunday. I'll be there with my M Coupe. You can also come by and just watch if you'd like. However, I will tell you that you will kick yourself as soon as you see cars on the course and people having fun This event will be held at the parking lot in Irwindale Speedway.
'02 330ia
notE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 10:47 PM   #9
sarah connor
Banned

My Ride: 00 328i
is there a autucross for noobs? like where theres an instructor and how much does that cost?
sarah connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 10:48 PM   #10
Tuscan
I am F1.

My Ride: Needs a S/C V8.
Send a message via AIM to Tuscan
Helmet needed?
Old 10-14-2004, 10:49 PM   #11
mach330

they should have instructors there. here in socal, the first 4 runs you have to ride with an instructor. the next 4 run, you can ride with or without one. the last 3 (timed runs) you can have the instructor with you or run alone.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:51 PM   #12
mach330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan
Helmet needed?
yes..you have to have a helmet. they have helmets there where you can borrow (don't know if it cost $$ tho). i brought my motorcycle helmet.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:51 PM   #13
MrMotorwerk
Der Meisterstück

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah connor
is there a autucross for noobs? like where theres an instructor and how much does that cost?
Depending on the BMWCCA chapter you belong to, the closest thing to Autocross for noobs, is a Car Control Clinic.

Golden Gate Chapter (San Francisco) frequently puts on Car Control Clinics separate from the Autocross events for $70/DAY + Lunch

Car Control Clinic:
basically Skidpad, Solom Course and Braking.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:54 PM   #14
MrMotorwerk
Der Meisterstück

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan
Helmet needed?
Its best to own your own helmet. Especially if you become a Autocross/Track School Junkie.

Golden Gate Chapter loans out helmets but you should pre-register and tell them you need to borrow one in advance. Loaner helmets, cost nothing except that you exchange your Driver's License for the loaner helmet.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:09 AM   #15
2004E46325i

My Ride: shitsubishi
Send a message via AIM to 2004E46325i Send a message via Yahoo to 2004E46325i
don't forget to either take out your right headlight or tape them up so they don't break from the constant pressure of turning
Old 10-15-2004, 01:15 AM   #16
FRANCO
Masterdebator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach330
nopes...you can tape up your car (around the bumpers if you like) w/ carpenters tape. other than that...just bring sunscreen. i've only gone once and it was a blast. you learn a lot about your car. my goal is just to improve. i'm not trying to win or anything just get better. hope to see you there.
are you going to the irwindale speedway thing? i saw that on bmwcca's website.....i think i might go to that one if possible cause my finals week starts that week.....can i just go to the event and fill out some papers and run? or do i have to sign up online and register or something.......im really psyched about this now!!

Old 10-15-2004, 01:18 AM   #17
mach330

i can't go to the irwindale one cuz i'm moving this weekend. i'm not too sure about the la chapter, but in the sd chapter, you have to show them your bmwcca card in order for you to be able to race. email the la chapter head guy or call them. i wanted to go to cuz it's closer than sd.

btw...did u get ur G-ride yet? how do u like it so far compare to the zhp?
Old 10-15-2004, 01:46 AM   #18
FRANCO
Masterdebator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach330
i can't go to the irwindale one cuz i'm moving this weekend. i'm not too sure about the la chapter, but in the sd chapter, you have to show them your bmwcca card in order for you to be able to race. email the la chapter head guy or call them. i wanted to go to cuz it's closer than sd.

btw...did u get ur G-ride yet? how do u like it so far compare to the zhp?
naw, there was a little argument....something along the lines of a debate whether to wait for an M3 at the end of May.....but we're looking again this week.....yeah, the salesguy looked pissed when we said we're gonna go check out M3's....hahahahah

oh yeah, before people say, definately wait for the M3, there's also the financial aspect because i dont know if im gonna get a "real" job out of college and my part time job can't support the monthly payments of an M3, but i can pay for the monthly payments on a G35......so im thinking maybe i'll an e90 M3 after i get my CPA license and real job at a BIG 4 firm

Old 10-15-2004, 10:10 AM   #19
mach330

that's cool..i would wait for the m3 as well if it was me. or just see how the new 05' g's look.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:29 PM   #20
FRANCO
Masterdebator

the '05 G's are gonna look the same except with a 15hp boost.....i could care less about a 15hp boost (that's why i got the ZHP right? hahahah) but that means the '04's will be sold for a lot less than MSRP