E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 89 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 09-22-2005, 10:38 PM   #221
Technic

My Ride: '12 M3 & '10 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcatxx87
I do not have the on board computer, average speed, outer temp etc.

"SA 550 (on-board computer). "

Will this still work? Will the stats just not show up on the screen?
To be honest with you, I don't know for sure. I would like to say that the Nav section, Radio and CD Player will work and the Onboard Computer section will not show up in the Menu, but then the official installation intructions stated that it is a requirement to have option SA550 for this retrofit...
Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 01:49 AM   #222
Joec03

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Can I use a German BMW LCD Display/CD unit with my US based car? Will all the text be in German or is that based on the navigation CD? If its based on the LCD unit/housing could I get a dealership to put english software on it? Ebay germany seems to have a larger abundance of displays and other nav parts. Also can I use a german MKIV computer?
Joec03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 04:18 PM   #223
sbhatia

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joec03
Can I use a German BMW LCD Display/CD unit with my US based car? Will all the text be in German or is that based on the navigation CD? If its based on the LCD unit/housing could I get a dealership to put english software on it? Ebay germany seems to have a larger abundance of displays and other nav parts. Also can I use a german MKIV computer?
I dont think there is any difference between the display unit or the navigation unit for cars for USA v/s Europe. There are differebces across the series though (3 series v/s 5 series, etc.). On the software - your dealer should be able to load the US version of the software - if you so prefer. However - note that the European version does have a language setting and you can select English setting. That is what I did for my Navigation. It was originally set for German language. Ofcourse - I needed the help from the user manual (see the first page of this forum) to get the menu/key sequence to set it - since the meny display was in German.

Good luck.
sbhatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:09 PM   #224
Unveiled

Great work. This retrofit should be stickied.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:29 PM   #225
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joec03
As long as the German part numbers match the US part numbers of those items you should be good to go...

The one Nav component that you have to have in US version is the radio tuner, just because the German tuner (Professional) is not set to US AM frequencies, it is not Sirius capable and cannot be reprogrammed to USA mode.

Be careful of buying used MKIV computers, they are very sensitive and can be easily damaged. Get some kind of written warranty or return waiver before paying for it and only pay thru PayPal and with a credit card, never pay direct deposit.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:34 PM   #226
egbb2004

My Ride: E46 316ti SE Compact
Hi there,

Does anyone know if it is possible to retrofit this kind of thing into a 316ti Compact from 2003?

Thanks
Tom
egbb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:15 PM   #227
snowcatxx87

My Ride: 04 330CI
If its an e46 I would say yes.

Thanks Technic... I was confused on that point as well and still am a little bit, don't want to start collecting parts to find out they will not work.

snowcatxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:53 AM   #228
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbb2004
Hi there,

Does anyone know if it is possible to retrofit this kind of thing into a 316ti Compact from 2003?

Thanks
Tom
I thought that the Compact has a different dash than the Sedans/Coupe...
Old 10-23-2005, 12:54 PM   #229
Opal

My Ride: 2002 318i SE Sedan
Technic?

Don't suppose you fancy a busman's holiday to the UK, and spend a day retrofitting my 02 Sedan? lol
Opal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:14 PM   #230
Santiago

My Ride: 2004 325iT
Send a message via ICQ to Santiago Send a message via MSN to Santiago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opal
Technic?

Don't suppose you fancy a busman's holiday to the UK, and spend a day retrofitting my 02 Sedan? lol
I think you should get yourself to Florida and enjoy the weather. (post-hurricane, of course)

Life is fragile
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 06:06 PM   #231
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opal
Technic?

I don't know, I would like to go on vacation to the UK and help you if I could but I heard that UK women don't have that much of a booty, so there's no fun for me, though...
Old 10-29-2005, 06:07 PM   #232
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago
I think you should get yourself to Florida and enjoy the weather. (post-hurricane, of course)
What's up, Santiago...
Old 10-30-2005, 04:11 PM   #233
Santiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
What's up, Santiago...
Hei hei Technic,

I've taken up mountain biking so I've been spending more time on mountain bike forums than on the E46/BMW forums. I do drop by from time to time.

I still am debating this retrofit though. One day soon...

Life is fragile
Old 10-30-2005, 06:17 PM   #234
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago
Hei hei Technic,

I've taken up mountain biking so I've been spending more time on mountain bike forums than on the E46/BMW forums. I do drop by from time to time.

I still am debating this retrofit though. One day soon...

Old 11-04-2005, 03:42 PM   #235
walid@hadidmax

My Ride: E46 Convertible
Unhappy Panic time Ė can anyone help

I was tempted after reading all the write ups on installing a retrofit Navigation system.

As would anyone do, I went and bought various the items from BMW and from a friend and followed the BMW instruction for installing the system (on my E46 330ci conv.)(posted on : http://www.stradasystems.com/bmw/nav...onvertible.pdf).

Items installed:
4:3 Screen
MKIII Navigation computer
BM54 Radio unit
BMW GPS antenna and harness
I have checked with BMW for the correct harness before installing it.

I encountered two problems:

1- Could not figure out the x13321 socket (for CD changer). The one that came out of the current radio was steel caped and has no way of extracting the coloured cables as explained in instruction. So I ignored this assuming that I will have the system working without CD changer

2- Second problem was that the whole system will not switch on after connecting the battery and switching the ignition.

I get radio noise, but no lights and nothing switches on, on the navigation monitor.

Could anyone have experienced similar problems? Could the reason for not being able to switch on the system that I did not connect the X13321 socket? And how can I get the cables out of the x13321? I am assuming itís the only steel connector that is attached to the current Radio
walid@hadidmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:57 PM   #236
Santiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by walid@hadidmax
I was tempted after reading all the write ups on installing a retrofit Navigation system.

As would anyone do, I went and bought various the items from BMW and from a friend and followed the BMW instruction for installing the system (on my E46 330ci conv.)(posted on : http://www.stradasystems.com/bmw/nav...onvertible.pdf).

Items installed:
BM54 Radio unit

1- Could not figure out the x13321 socket (for CD changer). The one that came out of the current radio was steel caped and has no way of extracting the coloured cables as explained in instruction. So I ignored this assuming that I will have the system working without CD changer

2- Second problem was that the whole system will not switch on after connecting the battery and switching the ignition.

I get radio noise, but no lights and nothing switches on, on the navigation monitor.

Could anyone have experienced similar problems? Could the reason for not being able to switch on the system that I did not connect the X13321 socket? And how can I get the cables out of the x13321? I am assuming itís the only steel connector that is attached to the current Radio

Walid, welcome to E46Fanatics. Technic should be by shortly (give him a few days) and I'm sure he'll help you out.

Life is fragile
Old 11-05-2005, 07:07 AM   #237
walid@hadidmax

Thanks Santiago,

It is very frustrating results when nothing works, specially after reading in this thread and in others that the retrofit should be a straight forward installation.

I cannot wait for someone to put me in the right direction.

Cheers.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:27 PM   #238
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by walid@hadidmax

Items installed:
BM54 Radio unit

Hi

The noise and nothing switching on looks to me like that your Nav retrofit harness is not grounded properly or that the Nav computer is shot. The screen driver is located in the Nav computer, so if you cannot see anything at all after pressing the power knob -and seeing the power light on- then the problem is the computer.

The X13321 is supposed to be optional, included in your car only if you ordered the CD Changer preparation in Europe; in the USA it is standard equipment. This is not a requirement for the Nav retrofit to work, though.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:33 AM   #239
walid@hadidmax

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
Hi

The noise and nothing switching on looks to me like that your Nav retrofit harness is not grounded properly or that the Nav computer is shot. The screen driver is located in the Nav computer, so if you cannot see anything at all after pressing the power knob -and seeing the power light on- then the problem is the computer.

The X13321 is supposed to be optional, included in your car only if you ordered the CD Changer preparation in Europe; in the USA it is standard equipment. This is not a requirement for the Nav retrofit to work, though.

Thanks Technic for the advice, here is what I have now after earthing the harness properly:

I can switch the monitor on, get a good radio signal and can change channels too, but I get blank bright screen (one colour).

The navigation monitor light stays on. I read some where that I shouldnít disconnect the batter when the light is on which unfortunately I have done in the past.

I do not have access to any of my CDs simply because I still cannot connect the harness to this dam metal CD connection.

Full with frustration. What say you?
Old 11-07-2005, 12:25 PM   #240
wallyorange

My Ride: 2002 325i
Walid:
I recently did the same retrofit (markIII computer with a 4:3 screen) and was also left with some issues, but eventually got it to work. The light on the computer will go on whenever you open the trunk or doors (even with no key in the ignition); however it will go out after 30-60 seconds. Is the white connector behind the head unit in correctly. That one goes to the screen.

In terms of the connector that has to be taken apart for the cd/telephone, on mine it came out when you remove the blue u-shaped clip that holds it in the larger connector with the 16 round pins. Once that is out, I used a jewellers screwdriver to un hook the pins. Even if yours is differnt there has to be a way to free the pins from the connector.

Thanks to technic, I probably never would have figured out this stuff without his instructions in this thread.
wallyorange is offline   Reply With Quote