E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 10-24-2004, 03:15 PM   #21
missle

My Ride: car
Is DVD NAV the brains?

I am interested in retro fitting to the LCD display. Do I have to install the DVD NAV in order to work radio, changer? I am not interested in NAV as much as putting DVD's onto the display using something like NAV-TV.
missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 03:32 PM   #22
Technic

My Ride: '12 M3 & '10 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by missle
I am interested in retro fitting to the LCD display. Do I have to install the DVD NAV in order to work radio, changer? I am not interested in NAV as much as putting DVD's onto the display using something like NAV-TV.
No... you can have the display and only the radio/CD Changer connected. No DVD computer is required -thus no GPS navigation- to use the LCD display. I believe that in Australia you can get the LCD with radio/CD/TV as an OEM option, no GPS.
Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 07:25 PM   #23
flagman5

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
No... you can have the display and only the radio/CD Changer connected. No DVD computer is required -thus no GPS navigation- to use the LCD display. I believe that in Australia you can get the LCD with radio/CD/TV as an OEM option, no GPS.

but does this also require running the harness to the trunk? since i saw that parts list for nav retro fit requires a radio receiver that is put in the trunk...where is the non-nav radio receiver located at?

"Girl you get me aroused how you look in my eye
But you talk too much, man you're ruinin my high"
flagman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 04:28 AM   #24
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagman5
but does this also require running the harness to the trunk? since i saw that parts list for nav retro fit requires a radio receiver that is put in the trunk...where is the non-nav radio receiver located at?
Of course, the radio receiver is always located in the trunk if you have the LCD screen; there is no other place to install it. AFAIK, for you to use the LCD screen with only the radio and no nav computer you will need the OEM TV tuner, or some special version of it to have the operating system for the screens, because the Nav computer is the one with all the interface software. Again, that's what I read somewhere in the forums that in Australia they have this LCD option without navigation. I do not have all the details, sorry.

Do a search for more info, my installation is for a full Nav, not for the TV tuner nor any other configuration...

Last edited by Technic; 11-02-2004 at 04:31 AM.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:49 AM   #25
eg6turbo

My Ride: 2001 330ci
that was a great write up for everyone who was deciding to do it...but from your in depth experience i have a 2001 330ci with nav ( 4:3 )...how easy is it to upgrade the (16:9) screen...is it plug and play???

UUC M5 Clutch, UUC Flywheel, UUC EVO3 SSK, H&R Race Springs, VIS CF Hood and Trunk, Arqray Replica Addon
eg6turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 12:11 PM   #26
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg6turbo
that was a great write up for everyone who was deciding to do it...but from your in depth experience i have a 2001 330ci with nav ( 4:3 )...how easy is it to upgrade the (16:9) screen...is it plug and play???
It seems that it is plug and play... however, check this site for more information about what Nav computer you have in your car before doing this upgrade.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:18 PM   #27
mickeyl

My Ride: 2002 325i Coupe
Great! One question though...

Outstanding DIY - thanks!

One question regarding connecting retrofit harness branch A1 to X11175 in the instrument cluster. The picture in the install instructions look like that the instrument cluster has been removed, although the steering wheel has not been removed. Also the install instructions preparation list either doesn't list removing the steering wheel and the instrument cluster.
Do I need to remove it or how can I access X11175 ?
mickeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 05:23 PM   #28
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyl
Outstanding DIY - thanks!

One question regarding connecting retrofit harness branch A1 to X11175 in the instrument cluster. The picture in the install instructions look like that the instrument cluster has been removed, although the steering wheel has not been removed. Also the install instructions preparation list either doesn't list removing the steering wheel and the instrument cluster.
Do I need to remove it or how can I access X11175 ?
Thanks...

The instrument cluster can be removed without removing the steering wheel. Just tilt down and extend the steering column for more space to move the cluster once you unscrew it and you are set...
Old 11-02-2004, 06:26 PM   #29
Santiago

My Ride: 2004 325iT
Send a message via ICQ to Santiago Send a message via MSN to Santiago
Quote:
Thanks...

The instrument cluster can be removed without removing the steering wheel. Just tilt down and extend the steering column for more space to move the cluster once you unscrew it and you are set...
Technic,

You've become a real expert on this. Too bad you're not local to me otherwise I'd definitely do this retrofit if I can score your help!

Maybe I should say that it's a good thing you're not local otherwise I'd probably do this retrofit.

Life is fragile

Last edited by Santiago; 11-02-2004 at 06:28 PM.
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:32 AM   #30
eg6turbo

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago
Technic,

You've become a real expert on this. Too bad you're not local to me otherwise I'd definitely do this retrofit if I can score your help!

Maybe I should say that it's a good thing you're not local otherwise I'd probably do this retrofit.
i have v16 software....could i just get a v18+ and not need the cd key or do i have to get v17 b4 i go any higher???

UUC M5 Clutch, UUC Flywheel, UUC EVO3 SSK, H&R Race Springs, VIS CF Hood and Trunk, Arqray Replica Addon
eg6turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 01:32 AM   #31
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg6turbo
i have v16 software....could i just get a v18+ and not need the cd key or do i have to get v17 b4 i go any higher???
Quote:
#

The MKIII system is the only nav version that requires the KeyCD. If you are doing the upgrade on a MKIII that is on Version 15 through Version 17 you will be asked to insert a Key-CD after you complete the upgrade. If you do not have that disk you may be able to obtain a copy from the bmwnav group on Yahoo. MKIII systems that are already on Version 18 or newer will not need a KeyCD in order to upgrade to a newer OS version.

For the MKIII based systems, the biggest software change is going from Version 17 to Version 18 (or beyond). This adds the split-screen capability to your system. However, you do loose the OBC+Radio option. It comes down to personal preference, but in my opinion, the new features far outweigh loosing this.
If I understand correctly, you will need the Key-CD regardless of which version you are upgrading to because you have v16 to begin with. Once you upgrade to v18 and above you will not need the Key-CD anymore.

If you are going to do the 16:9 retrofit you would like to upgrade to v18 and above to get the split screen capability.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:10 AM   #32
///NYCM3

My Ride: 2001 TiAg M3
Send a message via AIM to ///NYCM3
Technic, great diy. I have been looking into this for some time, the only question i have is will this work for my 01 m3 with the business tabe deck?
Old 11-03-2004, 07:21 AM   #33
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///NYCM3
Technic, great diy. I have been looking into this for some time, the only question i have is will this work for my 01 m3 with the business tabe deck?
It should work:

Quote:
DVD Navigation System Retrofit with On-Board Monitor
BMW 3 Series Coupé (E 46/2)
BMW 3 Series Saloon (E 46/4)
These installation instructions are only valid for cars with SA 534 (automatic air conditioning) and SA 550 (on-board computer).
This is the only condition that the installation instruction specifies for both Sedan and Coupe. It does not reference, nor requires, any specific model year to be installed only that your car have SA 534 and SA 550. All E46 M3s have both...

Regardless, the retrofit is a complete unit. You are replacing your tape deck for the LCD screen, and plugging the computer and new tuner to the specific harness that is connected to your existing audio/power/ibus harness. After coding by the dealer your Nav will be one with the car like it came from the factory; it will even have your VIN and license plate number as part of the Nav computer software variables.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:22 AM   #34
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago
Technic,

Hi Santiago

I have not forgotten the document...
Old 11-03-2004, 08:23 AM   #35
mickeyl

My Ride: 2002 325i Coupe
Why SA 534 ?

Do you know where the SA 534 dependency comes from? I have seen people with the "non-automatic climate control" relocating their control panel, so I would think there are no mechanical reasons for that dependency.
mickeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 10:14 AM   #36
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyl
Do you know where the SA 534 dependency comes from? I have seen people with the "non-automatic climate control" relocating their control panel, so I would think there are no mechanical reasons for that dependency.
I specifically do not know, I can speculate that somehow the harness for this retrofit could have some wiring that is not compatible with the manual air conditioning set up, like an i-Bus line (the automatic A/C is part of the Car and Key memory feature, the manual A/C is not, AFAIK). Everything else is the same as a OEM Nav kit: the DVD computer, the tuner and the LCD screen, thus the only component that is different is the harness that connects all the components together.

That you have seen people relocating their control panel could mean that the harness used is not from the retrofit kit, probably from a full Nav OEM installation where the Nav harness is integral with the car.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:57 AM   #37
///NYCM3

My Ride: 2001 TiAg M3
Send a message via AIM to ///NYCM3
Technic, I was wondering more about the antenna and what to do. The 01's didnt have assist and therefore no sharkfin so I am thinking about what to do with the antenna, and if one is even included in the package.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:04 AM   #38
flagman5

My Ride: 2002 325ci
is the OEM LCD display compatible with any type of GPS unit? or does it have to be the MK series units? if you put the OEM display in the dash, but wire it to some aftermarket carputer or GPS unit...is it going to work? maybe have to get specific drivers for the LCD display?

"Girl you get me aroused how you look in my eye
But you talk too much, man you're ruinin my high"
flagman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 11:37 AM   #39
nyuaznguy

My Ride: E39 M5
technic,

any chance you can get me a connection to get just the wiring harness from the retrofit kit?

thanks

Roger
nyuaznguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 11:42 AM   #40
Santiago

My Ride: 2004 325iT
Send a message via ICQ to Santiago Send a message via MSN to Santiago
Quote:
Hi Santiago

I have not forgotten the document...
Thanks Technic. I'll be coming out of the rollout period of my current system installation gig in a little under two weeks. I'll be looking forward to that retrofit as part of my wind-down.

Life is fragile
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote