E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 45 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 11-03-2004, 12:40 PM   #41
Technic

My Ride: '12 M3 & '10 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///NYCM3
Technic, I was wondering more about the antenna and what to do. The 01's didnt have assist and therefore no sharkfin so I am thinking about what to do with the antenna, and if one is even included in the package.
The antenna is included in the kit, and it goes inside the car. You do not need the sharkfin nor Assist for this retrofit.

The GPS antenna for the OEM Nav goes in the back shelf, under the trim close to the rear window glass bottom edge, slightly off center (closer to the right rear speaker than to the left one). There are two metal rails where the antenna slides into it.

From the installation document:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS.jpg
Views:	2470
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	97561  
Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:59 PM   #42
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagman5
is the OEM LCD display compatible with any type of GPS unit? or does it have to be the MK series units? if you put the OEM display in the dash, but wire it to some aftermarket carputer or GPS unit...is it going to work? maybe have to get specific drivers for the LCD display?
It is not compatible unless you can work some external circuitry for the i-Bus line and the GPS receiver that you want to install. It not a simple DIY but neither is impossible... this German company uses a computer to connect all kind of modules to the LCD screen.

Old 11-03-2004, 10:00 PM   #43
MITE46

My Ride: 323i
wow Good work!!! Your DIY seems like it was 1000x better than what I had to go through!
MITE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 05:28 PM   #44
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
3) Remove left inside door(s) rocker panel strip (item #1 below). (TIS 51 47 000)

This strip have to be slided towards the front of the car first and foremost and then pulled up. Otherwise you will break it. Once removed you will have easy access to the carpet.

4) Remove the rear seat bottom cushion (item #1 or #4 below) and left side cushion (item #7 below). (TIS 52 24 005)

Just pull up the bottom seat and slide forward. Before the left cushion can be removed the top plastic cover have to be removed (item #10 above). Once this is done (one clip) pull the top of the cushion out and then up in that order. Otherwise its bottom tab will be broken.

5) Remove decor trim and rear left side panel (if Coupe or just the decor trim if Sedan)

6) Remove center console, shifter trim and storage assembly below radio-A/C unit. (TIS 51 16 210)

Start with the shifter unit (shown in the previous step), follow with the center console (where the armrest is, you do not have to remove the armrest, only item #1 and its subassemblies shown below) and then with the center storage assembly in front of the shifter.

The trick of the center assembly removal is that there are 4 screws at the botoom and in the top. You only can see the botom two screws once you remove the shifter trim. The other two are behind the top cubicle (above the row of DSC/HK/heated sets buttons, below items #3, #4 or #15 depending of your vehicle).

Open the lid, and press up hard on the inside top front corners of the rubber cubicle and then pull forward; it will come off. The two screws are behind this separate assembly.

7) Remove Radio and Climate Control panel (TIS 65 11 030)

The trick is to remove first the air vents above the radio. Remove the two screws above the radio and pull the vents up and foward. Once this is done the vents are no longer in the way of the radio, Just pull the radio out, disconnect the antenna and main plug and then pull the climate control out. Disconnect its connectors and relocate towards where the top cubicle below the A/C controls where. That's going to be new location of the climate controls.

8) Remove glovebox (TIS 51 16 360)

Six screws attach the glove box to the dash: three on the top, two deep into both sides and a single one on the bottom right.

9) Remove both C pillar covers

These covers have a Tork screw behind the light fixture. Remove the light fixture (clips) and unscrew this screw before pulling out the trim (two clips attach it to the pillar, item #8 below)

10) Remove rear shelf (item #1 below)

The rear shelf is secured by four plastic clips at the front (towards the front of the car) attaching the plastic trim item #6 below, the three child seat anchors and a single screw centered thru the metal shelf underneath. If your car have the HK subwoofer, you will need to remove the sub unit to gain access to this screw.

9) Remove left trunk liner (item #1 below) (TIS 51 47 151)

If you do not have the OEM CD changer/Assist preparation in your car, you will need to buy a new trim (the one with the door).

Once you remove all these parts you Coupe should look like this...
Post #2 do not have the updated links to the illustrations...
Old 11-20-2004, 05:33 PM   #45
savash

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328CI
I have a 2000 328CI. Can I install this on my car?

Thank you
Savash
savash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 05:53 PM   #46
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by savash
I have a 2000 328CI. Can I install this on my car?

Thank you
Savash
Yes.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:25 PM   #47
blue dragon

My Ride: '02 PY M3
Quote:
Yes.
Do you know how much the UK retrofit costs, and what is missing from it? Does it include the radio tuner?

If you had a url to a link where it can be purchased, it would help alot. That Ebay person that you purchased from postgolf does not respond to any emails.
blue dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:00 PM   #48
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon
Do you know how much the UK retrofit costs, and what is missing from it? Does it include the radio tuner?

If you had a url to a link where it can be purchased, it would help alot. That Ebay person that you purchased from postgolf does not respond to any emails.
Your local BMW dealer in the UK should have this kit available, it is not available in the US as of now. Based on the price listed in the last German eBay auction that I remember, a complete kit (16:9 screen, tuner, MkIV Nav computer, harness, bolts and brackets) was around $3000.00 (2390 Euro).

Good luck...
Old 11-23-2004, 07:08 PM   #49
blue dragon

^^ Thanks very much, I was able to find a few kits, but none for the coupe. Is the wiring harness for the E46 cabrio different than for the coupe? My car is getting stored for the winter, and I am itching to start this project and get it completed as my winter project.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:57 PM   #50
Technic

Quote:
^^ Thanks very much, I was able to find a few kits, but none for the coupe. Is the wiring harness for the E46 cabrio different than for the coupe? My car is getting stored for the winter, and I am itching to start this project and get it completed as my winter project.
The harness is slightly different in the connection to the radio antenna: the Coupe radio antenna amplifier is in the C pillar, the convertible is in the left side of the trunk. So probably the wire length is different; other than that, both share the same connections, according to the installation documents of each. A link to those documents are in the first page of this thread.

How much are those kits that you found?

Good luck...
Old 11-26-2004, 06:29 AM   #51
blue dragon

^^ Here is one kit ending in a few hours http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
Old 11-26-2004, 07:29 AM   #52
Technic

Quote:
^^ Here is one kit ending in a few hours http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
Thanks for the link...

The problem with these German autions is that they do not accept PayPay nor Credit Cards, a big no-no for this kind of purchases. In this case, you can see that this seller is saying that this kit fits an E39, which is blatanly incorrect, and then tell you at the bottom that it is in fact for an E46 Touring.

What I would like to find is the supplier of these kits to find out how they can offer these complete kits for a little more than the cost of the LCD screen.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:39 AM   #53
Santiago

My Ride: 2004 325iT
Send a message via ICQ to Santiago Send a message via MSN to Santiago
Quote:
Thanks for the link...

The problem with these German autions is that they do not accept PayPay nor Credit Cards, a big no-no for this kind of purchases. In this case, you can see that this seller is saying that this kit fits an E39, which is blatanly incorrect, and then tell you at the bottom that it is in fact for an E46 Touring.

What I would like to find is the supplier of these kits to find out how they can offer these complete kits for a little more than the cost of the LCD screen.
Find the supplier and I will buy the kit from you.

Life is fragile
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 04:24 PM   #54
BMW Freak

My Ride: 320D Touring '03
Quote:
Thanks for the link...

"Sollte Interesse an einen Nachrüstsatz für E39 Touring bestehen,können Sie sich gerne an mich wenden! " means that he can also supply the retrofit for the E39. Most German Ebayers can be trusted! I speak from own experience
BMW Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 05:34 PM   #55
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago
Find the supplier and I will buy the kit from you.
I wish I could find a supplier but it is not that simple being a non-USA kit, Santiago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Freak
"Sollte Interesse an einen Nachrüstsatz für E39 Touring bestehen,können Sie sich gerne an mich wenden! " means that he can also supply the retrofit for the E39. Most German Ebayers can be trusted! I speak from own experience
Yes, I read that statement, BMW Freak (I lived in Bamberg, Germany for 3 years)... but first I did read the one in the main heading: Nagelneu!BMW E46, E39 DVD Navigationssystem 16:9 kompl. Kompletter originaler BMW DVD Nachrüstsatz E46, E39. The problem is that the one in the illustration is not for an E39, and $2600.00 is a lot of money for mistakes like that if an E39 owner ends up bidding and winning this auction. That what I am referring to.

Also, my comment about this auction not accepting PayPal is directed to anybody from the USA in this forum deciding to get this kit in this auction. This purchase being a cash transaction (bank transfer), any claim for malfuntion, non-delivery or anything wrong after payment will be impossible to file, which is extremely important in this particular item just because it is not for USA. Of course, that is the reason that these kits are predominantly offered on eBay Germany and not on eBay USA. It is very evident that the trust level among eBay shoppers in Germany is very strong because at least in that Navigation section most of the auctions are not paid thru PayPal, but with bank transfers.

Personally, I do not have any trust in anybody in the net if I do not pay with credit card or thru PayPal. I could have been burned twice before in a couple of transactions in the net if I had not paid thru PayPal. So personal experiences will vary, as well as where in the world you are living...
Old 11-27-2004, 02:18 PM   #56
evo1961

My Ride: E46 330 Sport
Quote:
I wish I could find a supplier but it is not that simple being a non-USA kit, Santiago...

Yes, I read that statement, BMW Freak (I lived in Bamberg, Germany for 3 years)... but first I did read the one in the main heading: Nagelneu!BMW E46, E39 DVD Navigationssystem 16:9 kompl. Kompletter originaler BMW DVD Nachrüstsatz E46, E39. The problem is that the one in the illustration is not for an E39, and $2600.00 is a lot of money for mistakes like that if an E39 owner ends up bidding and winning this auction. That what I am referring to.

Also, my comment about this auction not accepting PayPal is directed to anybody from the USA in this forum deciding to get this kit in this auction. This purchase being a cash transaction (bank transfer), any claim for malfuntion, non-delivery or anything wrong after payment will be impossible to file, which is extremely important in this particular item just because it is not for USA. Of course, that is the reason that these kits are predominantly offered on eBay Germany and not on eBay USA. It is very evident that the trust level among eBay shoppers in Germany is very strong because at least in that Navigation section most of the auctions are not paid thru PayPal, but with bank transfers.

Personally, I do not have any trust in anybody in the net if I do not pay with credit card or thru PayPal. I could have been burned twice before in a couple of transactions in the net if I had not paid thru PayPal. So personal experiences will vary, as well as where in the world you are living...
All comes down to trust in the end I suppose. Personally I've bought two items from German e-bay with wire transfer with no problems and there's some bargains to be had the e-bay thread to the nav system in question being one of them.

If the pics are correct it is for an E46.
evo1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 08:07 PM   #57
Santiago

My Ride: 2004 325iT
Send a message via ICQ to Santiago Send a message via MSN to Santiago
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo1961
All comes down to trust in the end I suppose. Personally I've bought two items from German e-bay with wire transfer with no problems and there's some bargains to be had the e-bay thread to the nav system in question being one of them.

If the pics are correct it is for an E46.
There's some neat stuff on ebay.de. Too bad I can't speak German.

Life is fragile
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 08:41 PM   #58
blue dragon

http://babelfish.altavista.com

translates the site
Old 11-30-2004, 05:49 PM   #59
blue dragon

Okay, I am presently dealing with an Ebay seller who says that he can get the kits. He initially offered me the kit for 1750 Euro, plus +50 shipping, but after sending him my vin, he says that the professional radio that is included in the kit is for Europe only. He will include the radio(part-number 65126964399) for USA/Canada for an additional 300 Euro. He cannot substitute the radios as the one for Europe comes with the kit.

My question is this -> Is there a different part number for the Euro professional radio? If its a different part number, do I have to get the one for the US, or will the Euro radio work in the US/Canada?
Old 11-30-2004, 06:43 PM   #60
Technic

Quote:
Okay, I am presently dealing with an Ebay seller who says that he can get the kits. He initially offered me the kit for 1750 Euro, plus +50 shipping, but after sending him my vin, he says that the professional radio that is included in the kit is for Europe only. He will include the radio(part-number 65126964399) for USA/Canada for an additional 300 Euro. He cannot substitute the radios as the one for Europe comes with the kit.

My question is this -> Is there a different part number for the Euro professional radio? If its a different part number, do I have to get the one for the US, or will the Euro radio work in the US/Canada?
Yes, the Pro tuner has a different P/N than the Business tuner.

My problem with the Pro tuner was the possible non-compability with any future OEM upgrade like Sirius Sat radio and aftermarket ice>Link adapter for iPod. There are a couple of documented issues concerning the non-functionality of the Sirius receiver if the tuner is set to a non-USA area. The Pro tuner cannot be changed to any area other than Europe, it is locked in its firmware. In addition, the Pro tuner do not have the proper frequency channel spacing for AM (it has short wave frequencies), so you will lose any AM tuning capability. The FM portion works well, although the frequency tuning is in .1 MHz steps, as in 96.0, 96.1, 96.2... instead of the USA spacing of 95.9, 96.1, 96.3.

My seller exchanged the Pro tuner for a Business one and so far it is working as a USA radio or can be changed to any other area using the Service Mode, with AM and correct FM frequency steps. I do not have the ice>Link installed yet neither the Sirius Sat tuner, however I do not forsee any problem in compatibility once I get them connected.

Make sure that you are getting the latest Business tuner available, and that it supports Sirius (P/N 65 12 6 927 916, BM53 or later). I do not know if your part number is before or after mine, sorry. Also, the MKIV DVD Nav computer should be P/N 6590 6 942 908-03 or later.

Congratulations!