E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 91 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #781
Camelius

My Ride: M3 Vert
Has anyone tried installing mk3 or 4 navigation to a convertible with a factory 16:9 and TV but no navi?
I've completed all the parts for this retro but when i pull the carpet to put the extra harness between the tv tuner and the mk3 unit, i've noticed that the purple X1312 connector is not there. Is there any chance that it might be tucked somewhere around the rear seat?
Camelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #782
Xvman

My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP
I hope someone can help me with the following problem:

My 2006 BMW M3 originally came with a Business Radio. I had a BMW dealer install the Navigation Retrofit kit, which as you know, includes a 3 & 6 pin (CD Changer) cable harness,
which should have been run from the trunk to to the center console. I double checked, and the 3 & 6 pin CD Changer cables are not in the trunk and are run to the center console.

Additionally, I had a BMW OEM iPod Interface installed at the same time I had my Navigation
system installed. The iPod Interface requires the use of the 6 pin CD Changer connector, and you can see the 6 pin wiring going to the "Radio" input of the iPod Interface via a DIN connector.

My question is: How do reinstate my Navigation System back to "stock", so I can have access to the 3 & 6 pin cables to install my DICE MediaBridge. Since my BMW originally had a
Business Radio, there's a big mating connector that the radio used that connects to the Nav retrofit looming, so you can have the correct connector's for the Nav unit's 2 -12 pin cables.
I know I'll need to extract at least 4 pins (which currently go to the iPod Radio DIN connector), but am confused as to which pins need to be removed, along with if I need to also get 3 & 6
pin socket casings to put the pins back in and "normalize" the 3 & 6 pin connector.

If someone has already done this, I can easily see which pins were used off the 2 - 12 pin Nav connectors, and reinstate the 3 & 6 pin CD Changer connectors.

Thanks for any help....///Xvman
Xvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:48 AM   #783
edwincamacho

My Ride: 05 BMW E46 325i
I found a 2002 M3 with oem navigation system and need to know if this can be fit to my 05 E46 sedan that has buissnes radio and CD changer. I will be taking out from the M3 the monitor , mk III computer , radio tuner , GPS antena and hardness what else do i have to take out from the M3 to make it work on my BMW. Also will this be plug and play or do i have to take the car to code the system so it can work.
edwincamacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:53 AM   #784
Technic

My Ride: '12 M3 & '10 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwincamacho View Post
I found a 2002 M3 with oem navigation system and need to know if this can be fit to my 05 E46 sedan that has buissnes radio and CD changer. I will be taking out from the M3 the monitor , mk III computer , radio tuner , GPS antena and hardness what else do i have to take out from the M3 to make it work on my BMW. Also will this be plug and play or do i have to take the car to code the system so it can work.
Coding is not required in the E46. As long as you get the correct PnP OEM harness and follow the OEM steps in the first page you should be good.
Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:30 AM   #785
Leo-BMW325i

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
Great retrofit, but only if you know what parts you need based on your Car and region. I have a 2003 BMW 325i Sedan (Australia) and it came with factory CD changer, TV(analog), Radio and Bluetooth. I checked if the car was pre-wired for Navigation and it wasn't.

What i need to know is the correct wiring harness I would need to do the MK4 DVD navigation retrofit in my car. I have looked everywhere on the internet and even got in touch with BMW Australia for a part number but they haven't been able to help.

Any help would be truly appreciated.
Leo-BMW325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #786
Goody4

My Ride: 2004 330 coupe
Can I forgo taking apart the rear parcel shelf if I already have a GPS antenna for BMW Assist?

From what read in this thread, I'm guessing I should simply be able to move the antenna from the TCU to the navigation computer. But, I'm uncertain.

And, how is the bluetooth affected by this. Do I leave the other plugs inside the TCU, or do they get moved. I didn't see anything on this, and I've read all of the almost-800 posts in the thread.

Last edited by Goody4; 09-22-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Goody4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #787
[USMC]Skywalker

My Ride: 2005 Tiag M3
I did the retrofit successfully and no you do not need to take the rear shelf apart. Though you are disconnecting the TCU's antenna it is still linked to the iBus and Bluetooth works perfectly. IF you have assist functions it will go through the NAV. If you have any questions PM me I will walk you through it
[USMC]Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #788
[USMC]Skywalker

retrofit short cuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody4 View Post
Can I forgo taking apart the rear parcel shelf if I already have a GPS antenna for BMW Assist?

From what read in this thread, I'm guessing I should simply be able to move the antenna from the TCU to the navigation computer. But, I'm uncertain.

And, how is the bluetooth affected by this. Do I leave the other plugs inside the TCU, or do they get moved. I didn't see anything on this, and I've read all of the almost-800 posts in the thread.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=908681
Read this, I posted some helpful tips
Old 09-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #789
Goody4

Quote:
Originally Posted by [USMC]Skywalker View Post
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=908681
Read this, I posted some helpful tips
Thanks. To get this straight, am I supposed to replace the cable to the GPS antenna anyway (via your HK access recommendation)? Or can just unplug the other end at the TCU, and plug it into the nav computer?

Sorry to sound thick-headed here.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #790
[USMC]Skywalker

you can just plug the other end of the TCU, I believe its the pink plug
Old 09-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #791
Goody4

Quote:
Originally Posted by [USMC]Skywalker View Post
you can just plug the other end of the TCU, I believe its the pink plug
Thanks again. This thread is a great source of information. I could just answer my own questions by doing the "dry run", as some have suggested.

But, anything to make "taking apart" and "putting together again" shorter and easier is most welcome.

One thing I've noticed throughout this thread and others, is no one gave a completion time. Likely no one can give one because of unexpected barriers, trouble-shooting, and the different ways all of cars are equipped.

I suspect, for me, this will be, at the minimum, a weekend project.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #792
[USMC]Skywalker

If you go through the short cut, I finished mine in about 3 to four hours. But I also did a ton of homework