E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2005, 07:50 AM   #361
nzDave

My Ride: Darth Bimmer
Gt4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	330iGT4.JPG
Views:	555
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	111903  
Old 02-17-2005, 11:30 AM   #362
ts325

My Ride: 2003 325i
I did screenshots of all the E90 GT4 photos on the BMW website, now I have to go buy a damn PS2 just to drive it...

Pontiac's been trying to imitate BMW for years, that pseudo kidney grill goes back to the late 80's Grand-Am at least. I've actually had to look twice in the rear-view mirrors, thinking I saw some new ugly model.

I do like the E90 though, and I didn't have to get used to it. I hated the E46 until the facelift, it's amazing what a simple headlight change did.

I've driven everything comparable that's on the market in that price range, and I still want the E90.

The C-Class Merc is underpowered and sloppy unless you go AMG (and then it's in the $50K's), although the interior's nicer;

The Audi A4 felt great to drive, but tiny inside and all of the interior surfaces are too smooth and slippery (everything in my E46 had some kind of tactile feel to it, even the cupholders).

The G35 is a flat, plastic nightmare in the center of the dash and couldn't even get out of it's own way on the interstate;

The Jag X-type has an ass and a greenhouse like a Pontiac if I ever saw one (for a minute on I-95 I thought Pontiac finally got some design sense, then I passed it and saw that Jag just lost theirs).

Acura's TL looks like someone glued a plastic body kit around the wheelwells and rockers, still looks like a Honda, plus it feels cheap inside even though it's got more features.

Cadillac's CTS is just butt ugly and weird looking, the interior's too angular, and the radio/climate console looks like someone stuck an old Compaq PC in the dashboard, plus all the cross-hatched textures on the dash are just a poor attempt at "high-tech!".

Lexus...didn't even bother, they look like sausages someone left under the sink for a week. Bad proportions, and it's still just a fancy Toyota. I'd buy a Scion TC before I bought a Lexus.

I haven't seen anything under $45K that compares to BMW's build quality, and I don't really care if Infiniti and Acura stuff more HP into their weak little engines. HP doesn't make much of a difference under 120mph, it's all about the torque for daily driving and anything other than straight-line racing. I was set to buy a new 330i, but now it just looks dated to me, I'll gladly wait to compare the E90.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:40 PM   #363
SST

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiPHiAS
The 320, 323, 325, 328's are made for the non US country's. Here in Belgium and some other country's overhere in Europe has extreme high taxes on engines with high cc's. So BMW make cars they can sell allround the whole world and not just USA ... don't forget that!
Believe me, I haven't forgot that at all.
I was born in Europe so I understand there is more than just the US market.

I was addressing BMW's dicision to use a 3.0 engine in both the 325 and 330.
In the 325 the 3.0 engine puts out an underacheiver output. So, in terms of tax on high cc's for you folks, you may as well get the 330 with the same displacement. If you're going to be charged for the cc's you may as well get more out of them.
The advantages of having a smaller engine, like lighter weight, lower tax for some, lower insurance, etc... gets negated when they choose to use the same size engine in both the 325 and 330. I was addressing those 2 in particular as that is on only option in the US.

TT
Old 02-17-2005, 12:49 PM   #364
SST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts325
I haven't seen anything under $45K that compares to BMW's build quality, and I don't really care if Infiniti and Acura stuff more HP into their weak little engines. HP doesn't make much of a difference under 120mph, it's all about the torque for daily driving and anything other than straight-line racing. I was set to buy a new 330i, but now it just looks dated to me, I'll gladly wait to compare the E90.

I think you dismiss a lot of cars for some odd reasons. But, the choice is yours obviously. You make negatives on a lot of models based more so on looks than other issues. Yet, BMW has had the most trouble in regards to it's new looks across the line. Granted the E90 doesn't suffer as badly, at least on the exterior, but the inside is another story altogether. The interior isn't as inviting and has slipped towards the MercB. minimalist slope. I'll reserve final judgement when one becomes available in person, but in picts the interior leaves me wanting.

I don't agree with you HP assessment. High HP is not just a matter of high vehicle speed. It's more a matter of high engine speed. HP is derived from torque. High HP at high revs implies that the engine produces very good torque even spinning fast and free. Take a look at the torque spread on the Acura/Honda engines and it makes sense. Being able to spin the engine up quickly allows that power to build quickly which motivates the vehicle quickly. The performance numbers given the output numbers is very impressive, thus, it works pretty well. It's a different approach and it's one that works well. High revving engines with power bands that accentuate power even at high rpms help make power output easier to control and power output more linear.

TT
Old 02-17-2005, 06:58 PM   #365
ts325

Looks are all subjective anyway; I could really care less what the press or message boards say about looks. I either like it or I don't. I think there's a lot of people who probably would have liked the "Bangle" look if the columnists hadn't jumped on it, but there's a lot of weak-minded consumers who actually listen to movie reviews and style critiques...a review based on something quantifiable, like performance, is totally different than *****ing about the trunk bustle or the 7's headlights. To me, the E90 is a good balance of the odd lines the Z4 brings in and the more sedate curves on the E46. You might hate it, your choice. I happen to be violently repelled by Lexus to the point I didn't even drive it. It could beat the E90 in all areas of performance, and I would still have to look at it in the driveway.

Most of the reasons I disliked the other cars in the range come down to fit and finish. Too much shiny plastic (G35 and Acura), knobs and switches that felt like parts bin goodies(G35 and Acura again), flimsy doors, cramped cabin (Audi A4, as much as I loved the driving), or I just don't like the materials they used for the interior (even the Audi felt like I was sliding around everywhere, and the steering wheel leather was smooth-grained, something I hate).

Everything on my E46, (down to the rubberized radio knob and slightly grippy feeling plastic on the cupholders) just felt really solid, well put together, and designed to touch instead of look good in a brochure. Aside from the sloppy fit on some of the X3's interior panels, I don't see BMW slipping enough in that regard to turn me off of the E90. And if they do, I'll just choke up a little extra and move to the Audi A6 (no way I'm buying a 5er with those eyebrows ).
Old 02-17-2005, 11:14 PM   #366
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
Quote:
Lexus...didn't even bother, they look like sausages someone left under the sink for a week. Bad proportions, and it's still just a fancy Toyota. I'd buy a Scion TC before I bought a Lexus.

looks are subjective, but Lexus' reliablity is far superior to BMW's. check out this years JD Power initial quality ratings(check my thread here; http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=234562).

speaking of looks, i'm not feeling the the e90 or e60 at all- i'd rather drive a 3rd gen(98-04) Lexus GS 300\430 if i had to choose(against the new gen 3 or 5 series). of course, my next BMW will be an e46 m3 hopefully- because other than that, i don't really have a desire for the new generation bimmers.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:09 AM   #367
AnZero

My Ride: 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SST
Believe me, I haven't forgot that at all.
I was born in Europe so I understand there is more than just the US market.

I was addressing BMW's dicision to use a 3.0 engine in both the 325 and 330.
In the 325 the 3.0 engine puts out an underacheiver output. So, in terms of tax on high cc's for you folks, you may as well get the 330 with the same displacement. If you're going to be charged for the cc's you may as well get more out of them.
The advantages of having a smaller engine, like lighter weight, lower tax for some, lower insurance, etc... gets negated when they choose to use the same size engine in both the 325 and 330. I was addressing those 2 in particular as that is on only option in the US.

TT
Here in Europe the 325i has a 2.5 engine with 218hp. I think it's pretty weird that BMW sells a 3.0 325i in the U.S. Altough it might have something to do with marketing because a 2.5l engine is considered to be a small engine in the U.S.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:23 AM   #368
SST

Quote:
Looks are all subjective anyway; I could really care less what the press or message boards say about looks. I either like it or I don't. I think there's a lot of people who probably would have liked the "Bangle" look if the columnists hadn't jumped on it, but there's a lot of weak-minded consumers who actually listen to movie reviews and style critiques..

And if they do, I'll just choke up a little extra and move to the Audi A6 (no way I'm buying a 5er with those eyebrows ).
I guess the critics are agreeing with you...or are you agreeing with them...or...

I don't think the BMW buyer is much swayed by comments about stylistic issues. Those who know how a BMW performs realize there is more than what the clothes hint at. Those who buy based on looks alone have a different asthetic they are concerned with, and along with that some (not all) may be swayed by what others may think.
I agree and as I said, it's your choice and my choice and his/her choice.
Great, but after all that we still have to have something to ramble on about.
So, I do NOT like the Z4. It's U-G-L-Y it ain't got no alibi, it's UGLY!

There is more E46 in the E90 than there is Z4, thankfully BMW woke up before it was too late.

TT
Old 02-18-2005, 09:59 AM   #369
xxpaintmepunkxx

My Ride: Cordelia - '04Ci ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
looks are subjective, but Lexus' reliablity is far superior to BMW's. check out this years JD Power initial quality ratings(check my thread here; http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=234562).

speaking of looks, i'm not feeling the the e90 or e60 at all- i'd rather drive a 3rd gen(98-04) Lexus GS 300\430 if i had to choose(against the new gen 3 or 5 series). of course, my next BMW will be an e46 m3 hopefully- because other than that, i don't really have a desire for the new generation bimmers.
Reliability and Initial Quality are *hardly* the same thing.

Aside from that, there's really no such thing as an unreliable car these days. An unreliable car is one that will leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere. That said, I think a german engine block is at least 10X as bullet proof as a japanese one.

Tommy Vercetti is a racist bigot, who disrespects women.

Seriously.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:02 AM   #370
xxpaintmepunkxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SST
I guess the critics are agreeing with you...or are you agreeing with them...or...

I don't think the BMW buyer is much swayed by comments about stylistic issues. Those who know how a BMW performs realize there is more than what the clothes hint at. Those who buy based on looks alone have a different asthetic they are concerned with, and along with that some (not all) may be swayed by what others may think.
I agree and as I said, it's your choice and my choice and his/her choice.
Great, but after all that we still have to have something to ramble on about.
So, I do NOT like the Z4. It's U-G-L-Y it ain't got no alibi, it's UGLY!

There is more E46 in the E90 than there is Z4, thankfully BMW woke up before it was too late.

TT
The Z4 is arguably the best looking car that BMW has had in years. Right after the Z8, of course. You need to appreciate that good-looks come in a variety of styles, SST.

Seriously.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:21 AM   #371
_oo_328Ci

My Ride: 328 Ci 2000
Cool E90 on ice

[URL=http://cleany.sportbilen.se/bmw3sreie_sportbilen.se.wmv]
Sorry,the hyperlink do not work properly.

Last edited by _oo_328Ci; 02-19-2005 at 04:59 AM.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:40 AM   #372
ts325

The Z4's angular and avant-garde, it's going to provoke reactions either way. I like everything but the way the front clip is put on, that panel line angling down from the hood opening across the front quarters just looks "bolt-on" to me. It's got a really interesting rear, and I like the off-center cabin and long hood, sort of reminds me of old racing coupes, like the Cheetah. I'm not in the market for a roadster, but I like it more than most of the others on the market (although the MB SLK is gorgeous).
Old 02-19-2005, 11:48 AM   #373
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpaintmepunkxx
Reliability and Initial Quality are *hardly* the same thing.

Aside from that, there's really no such thing as an unreliable car these days. An unreliable car is one that will leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere. That said, I think a german engine block is at least 10X as bullet proof as a japanese one.
believe me, Toyota\Lexus' reliability and initial quality is superior. the issue here isn't an unreliable car that'll break down on you, its more or less how problematic a car is, serious or not.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:39 PM   #374
xxpaintmepunkxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
believe me, Toyota\Lexus' reliability and initial quality is superior. the issue here isn't an unreliable car that'll break down on you, its more or less how problematic a car is, serious or not.
Not really... but here's a link to a story, taken from this thread.

Seriously.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:28 PM   #375
_oo_328Ci

My Ride: 328 Ci 2000
Cool New 3 Series Touring & Z4 M Spotted

Spyphotos
Old 02-22-2005, 04:21 AM   #376
goowatchi

My Ride: tiag step 330ci
Send a message via AIM to goowatchi
Quote:
Originally Posted by _oo_328Ci
i believe those pics were already posted
Old 02-22-2005, 10:30 AM   #377
SST

Quote:
The Z4 is arguably the best looking car that BMW has had in years. Right after the Z8, of course. You need to appreciate that good-looks come in a variety of styles, SST.
You need to appreciate that just because someone disagrees with your assessment of "style" does not mean they don't appreciate style or understand it.
The Z8 is gorgeous, downright sexy. The Z3 is more along the lines of the Z8. I prefer the Z3 in proportion and voluptuousness. The Z4 is too angular and busy to be sexy. Whereas the Z3 was a sexy cute girl dressed in minimal makeup and clothing the Z4 is an ugly girl trying to hide it by wearing too much makeup and wacked clothing. It tries too hard.
Judging from it's lackluster sales, many would be buyers agree.

I appreciate many styles of automobiles. Don't mistake your disagreement with me as making your tastes superior, you would be wrong.

TT

Last edited by SST; 02-22-2005 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:32 AM   #378
xxpaintmepunkxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SST
You need to appreciate that just because someone disagrees with your assessment of "style" does not mean they don't appreciate style or understand it.
The Z8 is gorgeous, downright sexy. The Z3 is more along the lines of the Z8. I prefer the Z3 in proportion and voluptuousness. The Z4 is too angular and busy to be sexy. Whereas the Z3 was a sexy cute girl dressed in minimal makeup and clothing the Z4 is an ugly girl trying to hide it by wearing too much makeup and wacked clothing. It tries too hard.

I appreciate many styles of automobiles. Don't mistake your disagreement with me as making your tastes superior, you would be wrong.

TT
Sure.

Seriously.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:36 AM   #379
SST

Quote:
Sure.

That's it?
That's all you got?

You make such generalized comments about my tastes, as if you know what they are, and then that's all you have to offer?

Just as well. Maybe now it will end.

TT
Old 02-22-2005, 10:51 AM   #380
kyle808

My Ride: 00 328CI
You two guys are still arguing over the Z4 after all this time. Please don't stop!

xxpaintmepunkxx, you don't have to take that from him! Tell him what's up!

"I'm gonna die! Jesus, Allah, Buddha - I love you all!
-Homer Simpson
Closed Thread