E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 03-22-2007, 06:01 PM   #201
BimmaBallin

My Ride: 330i ZHP 2004
This mod is intense. I never realized how much unnecessary movement my left leg was making. I just installed the new clutch stop (in the parking lot at Lowes in about 25 seconds) and now my clutch is literally on/off. It actually makes my driving experience more comfortable haha. Works perfectly on my 04 330i zhp.

I guarantee the next time I let somebody else drive my car they are going to stall out immediately. I will laugh, then punch them for stalling my car.
BimmaBallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:33 AM   #202
lennon31987

My Ride: imolarot II M
Send a message via AIM to lennon31987
so many people use these and dont set them right and end up frying their clutches.....

ILLm3 hates me cause im GGGOOODLOOKIIINN

seeking detailing perfection?
lennon31987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:40 AM   #203
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
like who? if you drive stick, you certainly know what it feels like burn a clutch, and as long as you still have a tiny bit of play past the clutch engagement point, you're not going to burn anything, it will actually give your clutch a longer life because you'll know exactly where the engagement point is instead of guessing like it was with the stock clutch stop. don't hate the best mod on this website cause you burned your own M3's clutch!
Old 03-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #204
minig0d

My Ride: OrientBlu 2001 325xi
Send a message via AIM to minig0d
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon31987 View Post
so many people use these and dont set them right and end up frying their clutches.....
UMMMMMM are you serious? I have yet to see a BMW burn a clutch from this mod... Maybe if you bought a taller elevator bolt then what I specified but then the car would never start... I would put money that this mod will wear your clutch much less then people do on a daily basis from not knowing where the engagement point of their clutch is, which is the exact purpose of this mod... Without it, people tend to rev their engines higher and end up dumping the clutch because they are used to the clutch starting to engage after only releasing the pedal slightly... and then after it doesn't start to engage they start thinking "WTF?" and start letting off the clutch pedal faster and then all of a sudden the clutch starts to engaged with the engine rev'd high and viola... clutch wear on a regular basis.... after this mod the average driver knows exactly where the engagement point is and can drive the BMW just like any other car on the road.... I mean really, should it take an expert to just drive a BMW right? I'd call it a design flaw

But anyway until you can show some evidence to the contrary, please keep your mouth shut in this thread... If you burned out your clutch it was probably from trying to do a burn-out in front of the titty bar to impress a stripper, not from the use of this mod...
Old 03-24-2007, 11:06 AM   #205
mikepbrooks

My Ride: e46 323i
Send a message via AIM to mikepbrooks

You have big shoes on your car ehh? Well i wear size 13 shoes, so what do you think is big on me? Thats right my socks...and what of it!

I like long walks on the beach at sunset and picking flowers to smell them...I hope no one reads this...

Find me on MySpace and be my friend!
mikepbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:45 AM   #206
stamarev

My Ride: @
Quote:
Originally Posted by minig0d View Post
Part #1 is in the drawers with all the other bolts, its called an "Elevator Bolt" 3/8" x 1 1/2"
BMWs are not being designed in Detroit, use metric M10x1.5x40 bolt if you care ablut the threads http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/dri...djustment.html
stamarev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:30 AM   #207
vids_blk323Ci
DFW

My Ride: JB 323Ci SP PP
Send a message via AIM to vids_blk323Ci
wow this thread never dies lol

Dinan Stage I S/W | ACS RSB | ///M FSB |UUC TMEs & Pulleys |Ate Slotted Discs | ScanGuageII | RockyMounts MTB Carrrier | OEM Rear Clears | LED Euro City Lights & Rear Fogs | Two-Tone Suede DIY | ACS Pedals | Bimmian Gauge Rings & M3 Face | Smoked Frnt Corners w/ Luxeon LEDs | EAS CF Roundels | JLevi Ti CF trim | Blk Suede shift/ e-brake boots | ECS Smoked Frnt Bumper Reflectors | DICE Duo
vids_blk323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:49 AM   #208
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamarev View Post
BMWs are not being designed in Detroit, use metric M10x1.5x40 bolt if you care ablut the threads http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/dri...djustment.html
Man will people STOP denying this mod and just freakin do it and appreciate it? To say that the threads will be damaged is just simply ridiculous. You can feel if the threads aren't matching, or it's a bad fit just by testing it out when you screw it in. let me tell you, this is one perfect fit, you're just being ridiculous now. Did you even TRY to put the suggested bolt in? I have, it fits perfectly! I've even taken it out and put it back in several times when trying to get the height correct, and were my threads damaged?? NO!!! I've stomped on that thing 50000 times in the past year and it's still perfect and so are my threads!!
Old 03-25-2007, 10:12 AM   #209
6-speed

My Ride: E21 > E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
Man will people STOP denying this mod and just freakin do it and appreciate it? To say that the threads will be damaged is just simply ridiculous. You can feel if the threads aren't matching, or it's a bad fit just by testing it out when you screw it in. let me tell you, this is one perfect fit, you're just being ridiculous now. Did you even TRY to put the suggested bolt in? I have, it fits perfectly! I've even taken it out and put it back in several times when trying to get the height correct, and were my threads damaged?? NO!!! I've stomped on that thing 50000 times in the past year and it's still perfect and so are my threads!!
True. It went in super easy, just like it should. No cross threading feel or anything. And I have stomped on mine as well, and it threads in/out just as easy as day one.
6-speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:40 PM   #210
2002325xi

My Ride: 325xi
Thumbs Up This DIY rules...

This is one of the best DIY's. Fast, easy, cheap, and makes a world of difference. Did this on my '01 M3-- previous owner had managed to snap off the old clutch stop. World of difference.
2002325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #211
hobbes77

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
I just did this over the weekend, and all I can say is that I should have done this a long, long time ago.
hobbes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:26 PM   #212
scriztin

My Ride: '02 330ci
Im sure not all E46s are the same as far as clutch travel and so forth but man... mine fits perfect. almost 1 year now, no probs!
Old 04-20-2007, 01:52 AM   #213
blackpearl

My Ride: Saab 9-3 SE droptop
well I just bought my elevator bolt today and had to settle for 1" rubber gripper but it will work just the same..I can get a bigger one another day...Unfortunately without the gripper and just the bolt my car still won't start...I'm going to shave the bolt down tommorow plus the width of the gripper and see how it goes...
My previous baby had a stage 2 act clutch in it...had to stand on it to disengage and the engagement point was litterally a milimeter off the floor...took me forever to get used to it but since then I have hated normal clutch travel and desired to find something similar...I think this is the ticket
blackpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:23 PM   #214
blackpearl

what did you guys use to cut your bolt down...I can't find my dremel
Old 04-20-2007, 08:46 PM   #215
blackpearl

Ok had to buy some cut off wheels...got the whole shibang isntalled works like a dream but now my clunk is a bit louder cause the clutch is popping harder I'll have to get used to it hehe
Old 04-20-2007, 09:47 PM   #216
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamarev View Post
You are ignoring the point, over only a couple of threads they are perfectly compatible. Please learn to convert metric and english before making ignorant comments.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:41 AM   #217
Dr 330SeeEye OD

My Ride: '01 TitaniumAg 330ci
works perfect!
Old 05-15-2007, 03:41 AM   #218
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
one of the best bang-for-the-buck mods ever!

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:16 AM   #219
BimmerPirate

My Ride: 2.5 Liter Saloon
Send a message via AIM to BimmerPirate
went to lowe's this morning to get the stuff needed to do this, i found the gripper's no problem. but the elevator bolt was a little bit harder, i got a hex bolt that match's the specification of the original "elevator bolt" you said to get (3/8 x 1 1/2). the only difference i can see is that the top of the bolt is not as wide, do you think this should be a problem? and i was just wondering if anyone has had a problem stripping the threads of anything while fixing this mod to work for your respective cars? thanks in advance!

Drew

edit: my car is an early 01 (build date is Feb 14, 2001 to be exact) so the height shouldnt be a problem for me.
BimmerPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:51 PM   #220
NicB.

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
I finished mine a couple of weeks ago. I have a 328 and it wouldn't start at the stock height so I filed it down to the right height. A bench grinder works well too. One hint...put a nut on the bolt prior to grinding, as you can remove it an "rethread" the bolt. I ended up leaving the bolt on after install. Once I screwed the bolt into the floorboard, I then tightened the nut down against the screw hole. This provides a little extra support and takes some of the pressure off of the threads.

Btw...for the dude above, this will not ruin your clutch. If it was engaging at the wrong point, you would either grind or smell your clutch burning.

NicB.