E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2004, 05:46 PM   #21
yogo_jonzo

My Ride: 99 323i Orient Blue
I had basically the same problem. I just cut it in half (thickness) and it worked. Maybe you can shave a little more off?
Old 11-08-2004, 06:30 PM   #22
wjjeeper

My Ride: .... is SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoStu
My stock clutch stop was this little cheap piece of plastic
It should have a rubber bumper on the top that you can take off. If it isn't there I posted the part number either in this thread.

Do you know your history?
wjjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 08:41 PM   #23
DiscoStu
Sienna Red Coupe

My Ride: 2013 VW GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogo_jonzo
I had basically the same problem. I just cut it in half (thickness) and it worked. Maybe you can shave a little more off?
I shaved some more off and it worked. Crazy how 1 mm can make a difference.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:29 AM   #24
minig0d

My Ride: OrientBlu 2001 325xi
Send a message via AIM to minig0d
The exact height your clutch stop has to be varies with the year and model of your car. There are 2 things you can do if your car wont start with this. 1) cut a tiny bit off the length of the bolt (using a hacksaw if you are very skilled or a dremmel tool would be easiest probably or maybe just a bench grinder) 2) try using a thinner bumper as suggested 3) take off the under dash paneling and put a little rubber bumper on the back of the clutch pedal arm where it contacts with the switch so it contacts the switch better... if you search someone did a diagram of this (if you have a late model 01 and beyond with the magnetic switch this will not work and you will just have to shorten the clutchstop until it starts)
minig0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 12:44 AM   #25
LA e46

My Ride: 2000 323i
just installed my new homemade clutch stop u really need to cut alot of the gripper pad thing in order to get the engine to start but the clutch stop is great. (dont go to home depot they dont have the stuff u need)
LA e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 09:15 AM   #26
Santiago

My Ride: 2004 325iT
Send a message via ICQ to Santiago Send a message via MSN to Santiago
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeeper
Hey guys I just did this clutch stop mod aswell. Shifts are great and the car starts just fine. I did want to mention that I couldn't find any self adhesive rubber stoppers that I liked. So I ended up taking the rubber stopper off of the stock one and it fit on my elevator bolt perfectly. If anyone wants to get a new stock rubber stopper its part # 02 38 5912 23
Hey wjjeeper,

What Canadian store did you get the elevator bolt from? Did the threads match (i.e. no cross-threading?)

Life is fragile
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 01:32 PM   #27
wjjeeper

My Ride: .... is SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago
Hey wjjeeper,

What Canadian store did you get the elevator bolt from? Did the threads match (i.e. no cross-threading?)
I ended up going to a local fastener store here. They didn't even charge me for the bolt
As far as thread interfacing goes, all was well, no binding or anything.

Do you know your history?
wjjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 02:30 PM   #28
yogo_jonzo

My Ride: 99 323i Orient Blue
shave the bumper down a little more or just buy a piece of felt and glue it down. The felt will help deaden the silence.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:31 AM   #29
thejellomonster

My Ride: 2001 330i
anybody try this on a late year 2001 330?
thejellomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 06:00 PM   #30
ajc5000

My Ride: E46 330d
Confused???

[QUOTE]
Fits all E28, E30, E36, E39, E46, Z3, and Z8 cars with manual transmissions. (NOTE: some later E36 and all E46 BMWs require the clutch to be partially or fully depressed in order to start the vehicle. Because of the nature of the clutch stop, it does not allow the clutch to be depressed fully, to the floor, and may not activate the switch to allow the car to start.) "

Firstly great DIY, I am going to make one at work tomorrow.

I am confused about all the posts saying you are not able to start the car unless the clutch is depressed. I know this is what you do on an auto box (but pressing the brake pedal). My manual 330d will start with out me pressing the clutch in. I obviously have it in neutral and I am not going to try starting the thing while its in gear, to see if this function works on mine. The quote above says it applies to all E46's, is this only in the US?

Last edited by ajc5000; 11-15-2004 at 06:22 PM.
ajc5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 06:11 PM   #31
ideal_vx6

My Ride: 2.8L
Send a message via AIM to ideal_vx6
going to lowes now =) been eyeing this thread for awhile. surprised at how lazy i am to spend 5 minutes on a great mod. ill brb after i hit enter!
ideal_vx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 06:31 PM   #32
minig0d

My Ride: OrientBlu 2001 325xi
Send a message via AIM to minig0d
[QUOTE=ajc5000]
Quote:
I am confused about all the posts saying you are not able to start the car unless the clutch is depressed. I know this is what you do on an auto box (but pressing the brake pedal). My manual 330d will start with out me pressing the clutch in. I obviously have it in neutral and I am not going to try starting the thing while its in gear, to see if this function works on mine. The quote above says it applies to all E46's, is this only in the US?
NOT all cars require the clutches to be depressed. I'm not sure if its all euro models that don't require it.... I know most older cars do NOT require it be depressed to start it. If you don't have the switch then all you have to make sure is that your clutch stop is at the highest most position that still allows the clutch to be completely disengaged when the pedal is depressed all the way to the clutch stop...
minig0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:44 PM   #33
ideal_vx6

holy crap. Lowe's was out of the 3/8 x 1 1/2 elevator bolts. I WONDER WHY.. hahaha.. so i ended up ghetto rigging mine with a pc of felt i had at home since they didnt have the 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" grippers either.. oh well, cost me a buck and it still works awesome mod, just wish i had the right stuff to make it look right
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Isuperghetto.jpg
Views:	2229
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	98985  
Old 11-16-2004, 09:31 PM   #34
faithmassive

My Ride: Isunder Construction
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoStu
My stock clutch stop was this little cheap piece of plastic
dude that made me laugh pretty hard.. it's funny how passionate we are about the smallest things, even the cheap little plastic pieces underneath our pedal
Old 11-21-2004, 06:28 PM   #35
cabana

My Ride: 2007 330xi,323i 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago
Hey wjjeeper,

Go to canadian tire, and buy a plastic elecator bolt (3/8 1 1/2) The head is plastic, so you will not need anything else than the plastic bolt And you will not damage the thread

Make no noise when I shift, and it's easy to shave if the engine don't start
cabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 08:40 PM   #36
Santiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabana
Go to canadian tire, and buy a plastic elecator bolt (3/8 1 1/2) The head is plastic, so you will not need anything else than the plastic bolt And you will not damage the thread

Make no noise when I shift, and it's easy to shave if the engine don't start
Thanks, Cabana. Do you have a pic and/or a part number?

Life is fragile
Old 11-24-2004, 01:55 PM   #37
wrcardon

My Ride: 330ci Silver on Red
This was the easiest and best mod under $5!...

One word.... WOW!

I recently purchased a 2001 330ci, silver on tanin and this was my first mod. What an incredible difference in ease of driving and performance.

The only thing to note , with my car I had to really crank the sucker in as far at it will go. Even just a 1/4 turn and the car would not start as the clutch was not depressed deep enough. However with a little bit of elbow grease and the last 1/4 turn the car starts, shift quick and sharply, and feels great.

Bravo minig0d! Thanks for figuring out the perfect parts for the easiest and most ideal DIY clutch stop.
wrcardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 03:03 PM   #38
330foru

My Ride: 01 330
Do It

1 1/2" elevator bold, stuck on rubber pad with self adhesive, too long when installed- car wouldn't start. Took 5 minutes to cut off approx 1/2", screwed it in and whole job took about 10 min.
DO IT- absolute total improvement in launching car from dead stop, both flat and uphill starts. Changes whole complexion of car, should've done it to my old e36 years ago also!!
Now how do you take out CDV????

Last edited by 330foru; 11-25-2004 at 03:07 PM.
330foru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 03:46 PM   #39
Santiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330foru
1 1/2" elevator bold, stuck on rubber pad with self adhesive, too long when installed- car wouldn't start. Took 5 minutes to cut off approx 1/2", screwed it in and whole job took about 10 min.
DO IT- absolute total improvement in launching car from dead stop, both flat and uphill starts. Changes whole complexion of car, should've done it to my old e36 years ago also!!
Now how do you take out CDV????
There are a lot of DIYs out there. Do a search here (use "CDV* DIY*" to get past the 3-char minimum).

Life is fragile
Old 11-25-2004, 03:57 PM   #40
ideal_vx6

325i.net i think