E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 12-16-2004, 02:19 AM   #41
cooh23
Got Mis-shift?

My Ride: 12 Bent Valves
I just did this mod today and I doesn't really help me cuz i shift way before the clutch stop.. but it's cool to have it and know that i'm not gonna over depress the clutch.. i'll try adding more grippers and see how it works tomorrow. I can start the car without the grippers being shaved.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:22 PM   #42
akhbhaat
Lying, drunken cheat

My Ride: German Civic
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but the ignition toggle on my car is much too far down to trip without using a rubber bump stop on the clutch arm...I know this much, but but there's one problem.

Can anybody tell me the best way to remove the plastic shround underneath the steering wheel without damaging the clips that hold it in place near the steering wheel mount itself?
Old 01-03-2005, 10:30 PM   #43
Zmonsta

My Ride: 240Z
akhbhaat,

Just did this today. to remove lower panel,
- uncrew the three screws that you can see underneath
- pull out the expansion rivet that is on the right side of the panel (this was toughest part of the removal).
- pull down the panel by unclipping the two clips under the steering wheel.
- With the OBDII wires in place, I couldn't pull out the panel (sure there is a way to detach the OBDII connector, but the panel drops down with enough room to work on this.

To extend the plunger (clutch switch), I used a bigger rubber plug (vacuum plugs) and slid it over the plunger which extends it to reach the arm when a clutch stop is installed.

Good luck
Zmonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:36 PM   #44
akhbhaat
Lying, drunken cheat

My Ride: German Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmonsta
akhbhaat,

Just did this today. to remove lower panel,
- uncrew the three screws that you can see underneath
- pull out the expansion rivet that is on the right side of the panel (this was toughest part of the removal).
- pull down the panel by unclipping the two clips under the steering wheel.
- With the OBDII wires in place, I couldn't pull out the panel (sure there is a way to detach the OBDII connector, but the panel drops down with enough room to work on this.

To extend the plunger (clutch switch), I used a bigger rubber plug (vacuum plugs) and slid it over the plunger which extends it to reach the arm when a clutch stop is installed.

Good luck
Apparently I missed the expansion rivet. That would explain it.

Many thanks for the reply and step by step instructions.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:06 PM   #45
vmwerks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 330zhp Super Coupe
Send a message via AIM to vmwerks
Hot Rodding is alive and WELL!!!! I am going to do this tomorrow.. there's a Lowes by the house.. whaddya think? about 20 hp gain above 3k revs?
vmwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 08:02 AM   #46
Serom

My Ride: 525iT '01, 325i '02
Thumbs Up Awesome DIY!

This mod worked perfectly (as described) on my 2002 E46. I liked it so much that I made the same stop for my 2001 E39. The only additional step there was that I used an extra piece (1 thickness was all that was needed) of the "gripper" material to build up the bump on the clutch pedal which actuates the start/cruise control switch. Now the car starts, cruise works, and most importantly, the clutch stops! BTW, both of these cars are CDV-deletees and recipients of Rogue Octane SSKs. Thanks again!!!

Serom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMWs.jpg
Views:	1046
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	104531  
Serom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:06 PM   #47
fstlane

My Ride: 03 330i ZHP
Amazing! This is one of the best low cost mod I've tried. Best of all, it worked with no modification to the clutch switch on my 03 330i ZHP. This combined the the no cost CDV delete mod has made my car 100% more fun to drive. I also like the fact that it looks OEM and doesn't stand out like the Big Boy stop did on my old 323is. Very clean, very cheap and very necessary on every E46. Thanks for the post!
fstlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 03:30 AM   #48
samlb

My Ride: blip
omg, such a simple, inexpensive mod and it's one of my favs!!! thanks minig0d
samlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:15 PM   #49
THATS FRESH

My Ride: SSHNIPER
Send a message via AIM to THATS FRESH Send a message via Skype™ to THATS FRESH
i didnt use my car today(bc its raining). i dont remember seeing a factory clutch stop when i cleaned my car last time. is there one on my 04 325i 5spd?
Old 01-12-2005, 12:17 PM   #50
a2theb
Rollin' in the family wagon

My Ride: '03 325iT, '02 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to a2theb
Just did this mod last night. Took a total of five minutes to do! And that includes going to Lowes and finding all the parts exactly where minig0d said they were. Got the last elevator bolt! It works perfectly! Simple low cost mod. I may try adding another pad to see if I can add a little height. Thank you minig0d!!

FYI - The pads part#7384 pkg of 8 was substituted for #7385 pkg of 16. No #7384 in stock. It's a little smaller than the bolt but works just as well.

'03 325iT - Steel Grey : Stock, Coming soon - M3 bumper, DIY custom ICE install and too many to list...
For now DDEs, corner delete w/ LEDs, AFE, strut bar and tints..
a2theb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 08:57 PM   #51
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
okay i got the little parts - are u guys getting smoother shifts?

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 12:35 PM   #52
jnathan

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via AIM to jnathan Send a message via Yahoo to jnathan
potential clutch stop problems

Hi guys, great thread by the way.

I was intrigued when I saw the post so I posed a few questions to a friend who's been educating me on my car.

When I asked about installing a clutch stop he mentioned that as his car (//M roadster) warms up, the engagement point of his clutch can change because the clutch slave cylinder hose can expand (and become a little rubbery). As I understand it, this expansion is similar to the stock rubber brake lines (the flexible lines that run to each brake caliper) expanding as they warm up. I suspect this is the same for E46s.

I'm concerned that changes in temperature will affect the engagement point and I won't be able to get my car in our out of gear when winter turns to spring. I'm going to take a look at the line tonight. The solution might be a line that won't expand.
jnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 10:32 PM   #53
fstlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnathan
Hi guys, great thread by the way.

I was intrigued when I saw the post so I posed a few questions to a friend who's been educating me on my car.

When I asked about installing a clutch stop he mentioned that as his car (//M roadster) warms up, the engagement point of his clutch can change because the clutch slave cylinder hose can expand (and become a little rubbery). As I understand it, this expansion is similar to the stock rubber brake lines (the flexible lines that run to each brake caliper) expanding as they warm up. I suspect this is the same for E46s.

I'm concerned that changes in temperature will affect the engagement point and I won't be able to get my car in our out of gear when winter turns to spring. I'm going to take a look at the line tonight. The solution might be a line that won't expand.
Just my thoughts, but I think it would take many years for your rubber line to deteriorate enough for you to feel a difference in clutch engagement. Unless you are racing I don't believe you can get your clutch fluid hot enough to make a difference. Just do the clutch stop. You will love it!
Old 01-31-2005, 10:50 PM   #54
fstlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by reactionsok
okay i got the little parts - are u guys getting smoother shifts?
I have had nothing but manual cars for the past 15+ years and never had much problem shifting. However, when I bought my 03 330i a few months ago, I felt like I had never been behind the wheel of a manual car in my life. Grind here, jerky shift there, if fact my wife asked me why I didn't get an auto? I even took my car to the dealership complaining about the transmission and of course they said all is normal. I can honestly say between the CDV delete, clutch stop and the recently added Royal Purple transmission fluid swap ($20 total for everything) the car shifts perfectly. Silky smooth consistent shifts the way the car should have came from the factory.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:06 AM   #55
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstlane
I have had nothing but manual cars for the past 15+ years and never had much problem shifting. However, when I bought my 03 330i a few months ago, I felt like I had never been behind the wheel of a manual car in my life. Grind here, jerky shift there, if fact my wife asked me why I didn't get an auto? I even took my car to the dealership complaining about the transmission and of course they said all is normal. I can honestly say between the CDV delete, clutch stop and the recently added Royal Purple transmission fluid swap ($20 total for everything) the car shifts perfectly. Silky smooth consistent shifts the way the car should have came from the factory.
thanks for the response - i did notice that i have to change the way i had to shift from my previous car (audi a6) - i have the parts - i just never got to actually screwing in the clutch stop - i will be looking into the CDV delete as well - because i can sure as hell feel that delay -

thanks again

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 12:44 PM   #56
liangpong

My Ride: BMW 325i 2005
I just installed the elevator bolt and can feel a noticeable difference when shifting. Thanks OP. However the Lowes I went to didn't have any of the "Grippers" 1 1/2" Self-Stick the part # is "7384" from SoftTouch. Anyone have an extra one that they are willing to sell?
Old 02-08-2005, 02:20 PM   #57
faithmassive

My Ride: Isunder Construction
I installed the piece a month or two ago, only drawback is that on occasion (1 our of 5) the car won't start on the first try because the clutch can't be depressed the proper amount. Only happens once in awhile though.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:36 PM   #58
samlb

My Ride: blip
^ maybe screw it in a little more. if the threshold is that insignificant, i am sure even 1mm deeper in will fix your problem.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:12 PM   #59
my 330 eye

My Ride: '02 330i
simply amazing, only difference was that mine was polished silver, but I tested the travel and it engages for the ignition exactly as the clutch pedal hits the stop. officially my first BMW mod...and also by FAR the cheapest and easiest of all I've done. GREAT FIND ON THIS ONE!!!!
my 330 eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 08:42 PM   #60
justvisiting

My Ride: 323i / my feet..
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithmassive
I installed the piece a month or two ago, only drawback is that on occasion (1 our of 5) the car won't start on the first try because the clutch can't be depressed the proper amount. Only happens once in awhile though.
i didnt read this entire thread, but for those of you with the problem of not being able to start the car because ur stop is too high, and if you own a 2001 or earlier car i think... ( basically one with the mechanical button for the car to start thats attached to the clutch)
you can just buy a 50cent rubber stopper, start your car with the clutch stop out, then drive til you have the stop exactly where you want it, then cut the stopper to the right height, so that it will depress the button at your level, then screw threw it and put it through the plastic ledge on the clutch, and tighten it with a nut.

my clutch stop is pretty high and works and will work forever, looks really good too..
justvisiting is offline   Reply With Quote