E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 40 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2005, 06:34 PM   #61
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
people

get this done if u havent done it - take 5 minutes for this simple project because this truly will affect how u shift -smooth - none of that jerky shifting- quickest best mod ive done!

enjoy

by the way - ull need to hack down a 1/2 inch of the bolt as others recommended.

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:19 PM   #62
ct323i

My Ride: pushing 235k miles!!
Send a message via AIM to ct323i
since it is friday night and i have no life i think i'm going to cruise to home depot and do this mod!

"ct323i: breaking new suspension equipment since 2007"
ct323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 11:57 PM   #63
ct323i

My Ride: pushing 235k miles!!
Send a message via AIM to ct323i
ok they didn't have either of the things listed in the diy at home cheapo so i bought an AJE 3/8"x1" hex bolt for $0.15 and a 24 pack of 1/2" felt stickers for $2.64 and it works perfectly. if you turn the ignition to position 2 and press the clutch you can hear a click when the switch is activated that lets you start the engine and as soon as i hit my clutch stop the switch clicks!
diy clutch stop, $2.79 w00t!

"ct323i: breaking new suspension equipment since 2007"
ct323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:22 PM   #64
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
My lowes was out of the elevator bolts, so I just stuck like 4 1/2 of the grippers onto the stock stop and it works great
Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:26 PM   #65
mkppk

My Ride: 02 M3
I didn't find an elevator bolt so bought a basic carriage bolt and it worked fine. 1 1/2" was too long to get it to start, 1" works good, but I suspect somewhere in between would be ideal.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:30 PM   #66
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
I have mine set so that I have to press pretty hard down on the clutch for it to start. If I just press it down until it hits it, it won't start, I actually have to compress the little gripper a bit.
Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:18 PM   #67
E92M

My Ride: '08 ZCP M3 | '03 R6
for an AWESOME THREAD!

i just installed mine a few minutes ago and i LOVE it.

i just used the same elevator bolt as originally reccomended, except i only used a 1" rubber gripper. it is fun as hell!

and another thing: i was told that: to start the car, the clutch must be completely depressed to the floor..... so i had always done that without thinking about it; respectively, i had always been afraid to buy/install a clutch stop in the fear that it wouldn't let my car start... except its NOT true . I have probably 1/4 the travel of my clutch now, the car still starts, and when the clutch is completely depressed, the car still doesn't move.. its perfect.

Thanks tons minig0d!!,
-Chris
Old 05-15-2005, 04:07 PM   #68
slilley

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrivea328I
My lowes was out of the elevator bolts, so I just stuck like 4 1/2 of the grippers onto the stock stop and it works great
After researching the difference between the Lowe's Elevator bolt and the actual thread sized used by BMW (3/8" standard vs. M10 metric), I decided to take the same approach as Idrivea328I. I bought one pack of 1-1/2" Grippers (p/n 7384), and applied four of them right to the stock clutch stop in the Lowe's parking lot. This gave me a clutch stop that sticks up about 1" higher than stock, but the difference at the clutch pedal is more like 2" since the clutch stop is near the middle of the pedal.

All I can say is: WOW! WTF, why didn't I do this sooner?? I've had two E46's since 1999, and I've done most other mods on one or the other: springs, shocks, swaybars, exhaust, intake, software, shortshifter, 4-pt belts, bigger brakes, CDV-delete, wheels, tires, etc. This mod was soooo easy, and such an improvement, I can't believe I never did it before. Thanks for everyones suggestions!!!!

Regards,
Steve
2004 330i ZHP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4GripperClutchStop (Small).JPG
Views:	2123
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	126454  
slilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:28 AM   #69
minig0d

My Ride: OrientBlu 2001 325xi
Send a message via AIM to minig0d
Haha thats great... i can't believe I never thought of it being that the grippers come like 30120310310 in a pack... just put a few on and save yourself a dollar for the bolt lol... nice mod to an already cheap mod
Old 05-16-2005, 02:23 PM   #70
vivek

My Ride: BMW
Is there a website where the "grippers" can be purchased? The closest Lowes is nearly an hour away and the people at home depot don't seem to know what I was looking for.
vivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:11 AM   #71
minig0d

My Ride: OrientBlu 2001 325xi
Send a message via AIM to minig0d
take a look at home depot or maybe even walmart... grippers are little adhesive disks about 1/4" thick and 1" in diameter ment to go on the bottom of furniture (the adhesive side) and to not damage the floor... they would be right near the little non-marring things you nail on the bottom of chair legs... tell them that at home depot and that should get you in the right vicinity... it doesn't have to be grippers brand even... just look for something in that ballpark and play around...

If there is enough intrest I'll just go to lowes and pick up about 25 of these things and assemble em and sell em for $6 each or something... if anyone needs me to do this for em shoot me an email... i work by a lowes and i'll just swing by..
Old 05-17-2005, 10:57 AM   #72
K-OS

My Ride: '01 Imola M3
I have just completed this mod. Everything was in stock at the local Lowes. $4.49 out the door. Less than a minute to assemble and install. Works fine for me. It doesn't give me that much benefit because I usually shift before the clutch hits the new stop anyway. But still, it's a great mod for the little time, effort and money involved.
K-OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:52 PM   #73
E92M

My Ride: '08 ZCP M3 | '03 R6
i have noticed my car's reluctance to start.... when the car is left outside in the heat... i occasionally have to screw the ClutchStop down so the clutch can travel further (so i can start).

hm?
Old 05-17-2005, 04:14 PM   #74
miaM7

My Ride: 04 325i Sp
Is this a good mod for novice drivers ?

I gave this try, and i stalled my car right away. it seems my brain/leg coordination needs more work, so i defaulted back to the OEM clutch stop. It is worth reinvesting time & frustrating to learn again how to shift ???

(no flames from stick pro drivers !!!)
miaM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:49 PM   #75
XJONBX

My Ride: 2001 330ci - SOLD
Send a message via AIM to XJONBX
Anyone have 4 of those pads leftover that they would be willing to put in an envelope and mail to me? I don't have lowes arounds me and spent the morning looking for some with no luck. I can paypal you...
Old 05-19-2005, 07:24 PM   #76
izzy330ci

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
I'm considering doing this on my 2 week old 02 330ci. Anyone try this on a 02 330ci?
izzy330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:34 PM   #77
izzy330ci

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
After reviewing slilley's post above, I did the same thing too...what a difference!

No reason why not to do this mod.

Thanks!!
izzy330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 11:26 AM   #78
K-OS

My Ride: '01 Imola M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJONBX
Anyone have 4 of those pads leftover that they would be willing to put in an envelope and mail to me? I don't have lowes arounds me and spent the morning looking for some with no luck. I can paypal you...
I have some left over. PM me if you still need them.
K-OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 12:18 PM   #79
C Digital 323CI
Eurowerkz Midwest

My Ride: 2006 E90 330i
The first time I tried this I couldn't get the clutch to engage for ignition. After reading this again. I may have to give it another shot. I used the 1 1/2 bolt without the gripper and I still couldn't get it to start. I'll try it again this weekend and see if I can get it to go.

SPONSORED BY: | TOYO Tires | WheelSTO | Level Industries |

C.Moon Photography

Twitter
C Digital 323CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 12:27 PM   #80
Alex
Mom says I'm a catch

My Ride: E46
Send a message via MSN to Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Digital 323CI
The first time I tried this I couldn't get the clutch to engage for ignition. After reading this again. I may have to give it another shot. I used the 1 1/2 bolt without the gripper and I still couldn't get it to start. I'll try it again this weekend and see if I can get it to go.
Chad, get it right this time so you can do mine.