E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 05-20-2005, 04:36 PM   #81
rbriber

My Ride: 2004 330i
For those of you who can't find the grippers at Lowe's (neither of the 2 stores near me had that size), I found them at K-Mart. This implies that you might also have luck at other large stores such as Walmart, etc.
rbriber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:09 AM   #82
revlis240

My Ride: W/E I have in stock
just out of curiosity, is it so hard to just NOT depress the clutch all the way when you shift? why do you need this and why does it make that much of a difference to make you fall in love w/ driving again? just FYI i do have one of these installed on my car for like a year now, tho i had to cut some threads off the bolt cuz for some reason mine needs to be depressed a bit before starting. now the issue is, even w. the clutch stop there, its like at stock height, i just dont depress the clutch all the way and...well there you have it, eh?

-Abe
Old 05-23-2005, 08:57 PM   #83
miaM7

My Ride: 04 325i Sp
I hate our local hardware stores

This is a great mod, but i am going crazy finding a similar bolt. Searched canadian tire, reno, home depot, home hardware. Not one single store carries the elevator bolt or even the black adhesives ... in situations like these, i wished i lived in the US !
miaM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 01:39 PM   #84
XJONBX

My Ride: 2001 330ci - SOLD
Send a message via AIM to XJONBX
Received an envelope this morning...

Inside were 4 black discs (thank you K-OS, for selling and sending those to me for $2)

Installed them in 27 seconds...

Went on an hour long spirited drive in my pajamas with no wallet or cell phone...

I'm Speechless, wow
Old 05-27-2005, 04:14 PM   #85
shypuck

My Ride: '04 330Ci
For some reason, I have the opposite issue as many have had. I bought the 3/8" x 1 1/2" Elevator Bolt from Lowes, along with the pack of "grippers", and when I went to install the bolt, it slid right in, all the way to the head of the bolt (didn't screw it in). It's like the bolt was too thin, or the threads were completely different than what I have. Of course, I did this mod a few months ago and never bothered to investigate it further, but now I'm thinking of trying to find the correct bolt and see if it works.

Has anyone else run into this same issue? I doubt the '04 3 Series has a different thread, but who knows!!

-Shypuck

Self-Installed Mods: BMW OEM Alarm | Homelink | Bluetooth | Ice>Link Plus w/iPod Photo
shypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 05:41 AM   #86
Bailey228

My Ride: 99 323i Alpine White
Quote:
Originally Posted by miaM7
This is a great mod, but i am going crazy finding a similar bolt. Searched canadian tire, reno, home depot, home hardware. Not one single store carries the elevator bolt or even the black adhesives ... in situations like these, i wished i lived in the US !
Had the same problem... Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Rona, Home Hardware.... NOTHIN!!!.

Fortunately, because of this, I have found an even better, and easier mod.

Lee Valley Tools (here in Ottawa) carries a 'furniture glide' that has a 1-1/2" base, 3/8" thread, and is 2" long. The bottom has a nice teflon base.

Honestly, I screwed it in and drove away.

Total cost.... $2.10

If you don't have a Lee Valley Tools nearby, let me know and I can send you one. It truley is a great mod, makes all the difference in the world.

Cheers !
Old 05-28-2005, 09:20 AM   #87
USCTrojanMan29

My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
anyone try this on a E46 M3???

I have some grippers somewhere as I moved into my new place recently....I'm about to go on a search and do this mod in my PJs as well. Hope it works for me!
USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 09:59 AM   #88
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
3 grippers on the stock stop worked fine for me, I didn't even bother with buying the bolt.

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 10:33 AM   #89
minig0d

My Ride: OrientBlu 2001 325xi
Send a message via AIM to minig0d
Quote:
Originally Posted by shypuck
For some reason, I have the opposite issue as many have had. I bought the 3/8" x 1 1/2" Elevator Bolt from Lowes, along with the pack of "grippers", and when I went to install the bolt, it slid right in, all the way to the head of the bolt (didn't screw it in). It's like the bolt was too thin, or the threads were completely different than what I have. Of course, I did this mod a few months ago and never bothered to investigate it further, but now I'm thinking of trying to find the correct bolt and see if it works.

Has anyone else run into this same issue? I doubt the '04 3 Series has a different thread, but who knows!!

-Shypuck
Don't know on the threads but you might just try adding some grippers onto your stock clutch stop like some other people have suggested... or take your stock one into home depot or lowes and in the screws and bolts isle they have a little board you can screw yours into with lots of different holes and it'll tell you what size bolt it is... just buy an elevator bolt of that size and you should be in business...
Old 05-29-2005, 02:46 PM   #90
Macario

My Ride: 325i
The modified clutch stop worked for me but I had to cut 5 threads off the elevator bolt to get it to seat a little deeper into the hole. It works fine now.

Good post.
Macario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:41 PM   #91
hammerman

My Ride: 2005 TiAg 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by revlis240
just out of curiosity, is it so hard to just NOT depress the clutch all the way when you shift? why do you need this and why does it make that much of a difference to make you fall in love w/ driving again? just FYI i do have one of these installed on my car for like a year now, tho i had to cut some threads off the bolt cuz for some reason mine needs to be depressed a bit before starting. now the issue is, even w. the clutch stop there, its like at stock height, i just dont depress the clutch all the way and...well there you have it, eh?

-Abe
its not just shifting it is in stop and go traffic as well

it is much easier to hold the clutch in first when stopped because there is alot more resistance the farther you push the clutch in

just like it is easier to push a button all the way in and hold it rather than finding the perfect pressure to keep it pushed halfway in

anyways I just did this (didnt use a bolt) but put in 5 rubber things onto the stock clutch stop and it is a night and day difference to me it makes stop and go traffic much easier
hammerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 07:33 AM   #92
slilley

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Well, my inexpensive clutch-stop mod (4 grippers on the stock clutch-stop) lasted a little over a month. I recently found it laying on the driver's side floor after a couple of days with temps in the high 90s; the adhesive backing had melted. So I went ahead and ordered the UUC V3 Clutch Stop for $20: http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_pr...stop/index.htm

In order to get this to work with the starter interlock on my E46, I had to cut off about 5-6mm of the bolt, but after I cleaned up the threads, it screwed right into position. Definitely worth the $20, but be prepared to cut/grind/file this if you are going to use it on an E46 3-Series.

Regards,
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slilley
After researching the difference between the Lowe's Elevator bolt and the actual thread sized used by BMW (3/8" standard vs. M10 metric), I decided to take the same approach as Idrivea328I. I bought one pack of 1-1/2" Grippers (p/n 7384), and applied four of them right to the stock clutch stop in the Lowe's parking lot. This gave me a clutch stop that sticks up about 1" higher than stock, but the difference at the clutch pedal is more like 2" since the clutch stop is near the middle of the pedal.

All I can say is: WOW! WTF, why didn't I do this sooner?? I've had two E46's since 1999, and I've done most other mods on one or the other: springs, shocks, swaybars, exhaust, intake, software, shortshifter, 4-pt belts, bigger brakes, CDV-delete, wheels, tires, etc. This mod was soooo easy, and such an improvement, I can't believe I never did it before. Thanks for everyones suggestions!!!!

Regards,
Steve
2004 330i ZHP
slilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 03:24 PM   #93
rovert

My Ride: Zaps Horse Poo!!
Send a message via ICQ to rovert Send a message via AIM to rovert Send a message via MSN to rovert Send a message via Yahoo to rovert
I take the award for being the most ghetto!!!

Duct tape and cardboard rolled up. I kept adjusting the roll until I could just hear the click allowing me to start the car with the key turned in the ignition. It's perfect...no sound when I hit the stop and solid enough feel to get a nice muted, soft thud feeling when clutch hits the stop. Time will tell if this ghetto installation works but I'll probably find something more eye appealing later on...for now I'm enjoying these nice clutch engagements! You can even see the fold at the end of the tape so I can easily remove this installation for an upgraded one should this method fail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E46_Clutch_Stop.jpg
Views:	1825
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	136167  
Old 07-23-2005, 04:25 PM   #94
brandonx46

My Ride:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovert

Duct tape and cardboard rolled up. I kept adjusting the roll until I could just hear the click allowing me to start the car with the key turned in the ignition. It's perfect...no sound when I hit the stop and solid enough feel to get a nice muted, soft thud feeling when clutch hits the stop. Time will tell if this ghetto installation works but I'll probably find something more eye appealing later on...for now I'm enjoying these nice clutch engagements! You can even see the fold at the end of the tape so I can easily remove this installation for an upgraded one should this method fail.
haha nice man ... that's pretty creative
brandonx46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:20 PM   #95
r6tanz

My Ride: ///332 & 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovert

i think we should all chip in and paypal u 5 cents each... this mod is about $2-3.
Damn that is ghetto
r6tanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:16 PM   #96
valenti

My Ride: Rated M
i was about to do this.. but then i realize.. idont even depress the clutch fully when shifting ? the engagement is much sooner, so i dont see the point ?
valenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:01 PM   #97
ArBrnSnpr

My Ride: 02 M3-04 S4-07 GTI
I just did this, but I used the riser bolt instead of the roll of cradboard method, not to say it isnt creative but there is just somthing about having duct tape, and card board be on the list of ingredients of my beloved car. Two thumbs up on creativity though.
SSG. Mack
Lost but not forgotten
These Soldiers paid the ultimate sacrifice so others could live, and I had the joy of serving with them.
1st Brigade 25th Infantry Div. Scouts/Snipers

ArBrnSnpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:18 PM   #98
rovert

My Ride: Zaps Horse Poo!!
Send a message via ICQ to rovert Send a message via AIM to rovert Send a message via MSN to rovert Send a message via Yahoo to rovert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArBrnSnpr
I just did this, but I used the riser bolt instead of the roll of cradboard method, not to say it isnt creative but there is just somthing about having duct tape, and card board be on the list of ingredients of my beloved car. Two thumbs up on creativity though.
Hahah after the hot weather the duct tape started to slip....icky...I got what I paid for. I went and bought a 1.5" x 3/8" hex bolt and screwed it in place of the stock plastic clutch stop. Then I capped the hex bolt off with a 5/8" rubber tip on the hex to make a nice soft hit. You can find that at the furniture glides isle of your hardware store. I guess it's for a chair leg so rubberize the tip.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:00 PM   #99
JonF_330Ci

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by miaM7
I just picked up a 10/45 hex bolt (similar to the 3/8 by 1/2 inch elevator bolt) and squeezed a rubber chair leg thingy over top of it. It worked like a charm! I dropped a fully 2 seconds off my 0-60 time...

JonF_330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:01 PM   #100
JonF_330Ci

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Oops... I forgot to say that I picked the parts up at Home Depot in Waterloo Ontario.
JonF_330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote