E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-15-2004, 09:45 PM   #41
LagunaSeca///M3

My Ride: 2001 ///M3
if only there was a way to heat the thick, cozy M steering wheel...
LagunaSeca///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 09:36 AM   #42
Ivegotissues666

My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
Great DIY first off mad props to ya, and secondly I have a few questions. Did you just buy the airbag unit and put it on the e46 wheel like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ssPageName=WDVW

Or did you buy the steering wheel with airbag? Also is the slip ring necessary?

I did the non-function to multifunction steering retrofit already I would have done this one if i knew it was possible.

Anyways Great Job again
Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 02:20 PM   #43
Jackboot

My Ride: Bus
Thanks for the props My warm hands the last few mornings have definately made it a worthwhile project...

The ebay link you posted doesn't work though - post it again.

All I bought was the E39 heated wheel, slip ring (which is necessary for wiring the heating elements), and button pod with the heating button on it.

The airbag from the regular 4-spoke E46 steering wheel fits the E39 heated wheel so no airbag buying is necessary if you have the non-sport, 4-spoke wheel & airbag already.
Jackboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 09:16 PM   #44
Ivegotissues666

My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
Sorry about the link i was bidding on it but now it somehow disappeared off of ebay. This is the airbag I have so all i would need would be the slip ring and the right button pod for the heating button correct? if so i thought the leather wheel had to be perifirated (however you say/spell it) or something like that so i dont see how i could use my existing airbag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0102.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	99139  
Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 10:01 PM   #45
Jackboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivegotissues666
Sorry about the link i was bidding on it but now it somehow disappeared off of ebay. This is the airbag I have so all i would need would be the slip ring and the right button pod for the heating button correct? if so i thought the leather wheel had to be perifirated (however you say/spell it) or something like that so i dont see how i could use my existing airbag.
That is the correct airbag. It fits the standard 4-spoke, non-sport E46 steering wheel AND the E39 non-sport, 4-spoke, heated wheel.

So you need all 3 parts: E39 non-sport, 4-spoke, heated wheel, slip ring, and button pod. The only thing you *don't* need is a new airbag.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:06 PM   #46
Santiago

My Ride: 2004 325iT
Send a message via ICQ to Santiago Send a message via MSN to Santiago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackboot
Santiago and Solid:

The only fear that I have is tapping into a switched 12V source that wouldn't like having a significant amount of current pulled from it...you know what I mean? For example, the radio harness switched 12V is fine to use as a remote turn on for my amplifiers since they don't constantly require current from the switched source, but probably wouldn't be suitable for supplying the current for heating elements.

The lighter is an ideal location since it is meant to supply current to heating elements already! The only problem is that it isn't switched...

The 5-series and X3 must have a separate, fused source for the heated wheel that our 3-series doesn't have.

Any ideas?
Jackboot, I don't know if you have heated seats or not but the power source there is designed for a heater. I don't know if you can put two on the same source but if you don't have the heated seats then you should look into finding the instructions for putting the heated seat retrofit. It will tell you where the power source for the heated seats is.

Life is fragile
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 10:13 PM   #47
Jackboot

Heated seats are (not surprisingly) standard in Canada on the 330.

I have actually thought about tapping into the heated seats power source also...good call...

...now that I think about it more, that sounds like the best idea. I think the wiring will be fairly accessible too.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:24 PM   #48
Santiago

Quote:
Heated seats are (not surprisingly) standard in Canada on the 330.

I have actually thought about tapping into the heated seats power source also...good call...

...now that I think about it more, that sounds like the best idea. I think the wiring will be fairly accessible too.
Heated seats are not standard on 325iT.

One of my long term projects is to retrofit heated seats.

Life is fragile
Old 11-17-2004, 03:52 PM   #49
Jackboot

Dang Santiago...you are the retrofit KING!

Did you buy a 325i and retrofit the "T"?
Old 11-17-2004, 05:19 PM   #50
Santiago

Quote:
Dang Santiago...you are the retrofit KING!

Did you buy a 325i and retrofit the "T"?
Yup, and my next step is to take a chain saw and turn my car into a 325CIT, the only one in the world.

My plan for retrofitting the heated seats is to not try to put the heating elements directly in the seat but to swap out with a car that has heated seats. I'm holding out for someone I know that's going to sell their car with heated seats and do a transplant. My brother-in-law has a car with heated seats but his are beige, mine are black. Too bad!

Life is fragile
Old 11-18-2004, 12:51 AM   #51
bimmer3series

My Ride: 03 325i
I had that option on my x5 and now I miss it very much. Still not something I want to screw with

Last edited by bimmer3series; 11-18-2004 at 12:55 AM.
bimmer3series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 05:53 PM   #52
Jackboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer3series
I had that option on my x5 and now I miss it very much. Still not something I want to screw with
I wouldn't worry too much about "screwing" with anything - the mod uses all OEM parts except for the wire.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:08 PM   #53
oyster

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325xi
Send a message via MSN to oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago
Yup, and my next step is to take a chain saw and turn my car into a 325CIT, the only one in the world.

My plan for retrofitting the heated seats is to not try to put the heating elements directly in the seat but to swap out with a car that has heated seats. I'm holding out for someone I know that's going to sell their car with heated seats and do a transplant. My brother-in-law has a car with heated seats but his are beige, mine are black. Too bad!
you can swap the seat cover very easy..........if you retrofit the heated steering wheel, send me an email, I want to join too......I love that feature when I drive the 5 series.....pure indulgence
oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 12:01 PM   #54
Santiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyster
you can swap the seat cover very easy..........if you retrofit the heated steering wheel, send me an email, I want to join too......I love that feature when I drive the 5 series.....pure indulgence
Haven't done the heated steering wheel. I think I'd put the heated seats first. Have you swapped out the seat cover yourself?

Life is fragile
Old 01-04-2005, 04:02 PM   #55
oyster

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325xi
Send a message via MSN to oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago
Haven't done the heated steering wheel. I think I'd put the heated seats first. Have you swapped out the seat cover yourself?
dealer replace my seat cover because it cracked from excessive use of the heated seats

it's not that hard, it's like a slip cover thing with some velcro attachements.

once you get heated seats, hard to drive any other car that does not have it
oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 11:14 PM   #56
Jackboot

Hey guys - original poster here. Just in case anyone cares, I have sold the car that I did this mod on and took the heated steering wheel off. The "retrofit kit" is for sale in the "for sale" forum. Thanks for the space!
Old 03-29-2005, 06:13 PM   #57
bpattison

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328I
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSTONVietKid
dude...I would be all over it...damn..it is getting cold here in Boston
I would give my left nut for Boston weather! I need this for Saskatchewan, Canada - -40 to -50 in the winter!
bpattison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:56 PM   #58
justinlarsen

My Ride: 2004 330ci
cool I can do this mod just in time for summer! wish we could get chilled seats and steering wheels just wishful thinking
Old 02-07-2010, 11:26 PM   #59
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLVK View Post
If you do a search on the internet...you will find 2 or 3 others DIY for series 7 and 5. Doesn't look that difficult but I think the key is finding the right parts...I am most interest in part numbers.
check out this links
http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/S...eringwheel.htm

http://x5world.net/heatedwheel.htm
FIXED!

http://www.xoutpost.com/articles/x5/...rofit-e38.html

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:31 PM   #60
busamoose

My Ride: 330 ZHP