E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports – this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

View Poll Results: Rims/Tire Combo for tracking
Keep OZ's with Pzero Neros for the track. 8 100.00%
Iforged Sprints with Hankook K104's and Sell OZ's? 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-23-2004, 11:40 AM   #1
omes

My Ride: E60 ///M5
Tires and Rims for Tracking ???

Hey all,

I was thinking of tracking my car next summer and the local track has friday night 'secret street' which is just going out and running 1/4 mile runs and I was wondering what i should do for my setup.

I have my old rims, OZ Racing F1 Evos 18" with brand new Pirelli Pzero Nero's (less than 600 miles on them) and they are the summer ones ....non M+S, I was thinking of selling them but....

I have my new rims 19" Iforged Sprints with Hankook K104's on them and they are on the car right now but worried about wrecking them, plus the Hankook's don't have the stick the Pirelli's do.

Just wondering if I should keep the OZ's for the track or am I ok with the 19" Iforged? I wouldn't mind re-couping some of my money for the OZ's but worried about damaging my new bling rims. Any opinions?

Last edited by omes; 06-15-2006 at 02:37 PM.
omes is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:23 PM   #2
Bobo83
ProjectTechnik

My Ride: 03 M3
Omes man! Just keep the OZ's for the track and then the Iforged for daily!!! The OZ's are so light too!

Old 04 330 ZHP
Bobo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 05:58 PM   #3
meel330

My Ride: Is still fckin hurrr
get some 15's!!
meel330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 09:16 PM   #4
BWoodson

My Ride: '03 330i Imola ZHP
Send a message via Yahoo to BWoodson
You're not likely to hurt your rims (just a little dirt is all...that washes off..). The real question is how much do you want to spend in rubber burned up at the drag strip. If $$ are an issue, it's more cost effective to burn 18" tires at the track then 19"s; plus your 18" wheels are lighter...and that'll give you lower times...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omes
Hey all,

I was thinking of tracking my car next summer and the local track has friday night 'secret street' which is just going out and running 1/4 mile runs and I was wondering what i should do for my setup.

I have my old rims, OZ Racing F1 Evos 18" with brand new Pirelli Pzero Nero's (less than 600 miles on them) and they are the summer ones ....non M+S, I was thinking of selling them but....

I have my new rims 19" Iforged Sprints with Hankook K104's on them and they are on the car right now but worried about wrecking them, plus the Hankook's don't have the stick the Pirelli's do.

Just wondering if I should keep the OZ's for the track or am I ok with the 19" Iforged? I wouldn't mind re-couping some of my money for the OZ's but worried about damaging my new bling rims. Any opinions?
Old 01-01-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
glenspeed

My Ride: '02 E46 M3
keep the 18's for the track and swap out the rubber for more track oriented shoes. you will have more choice in tires with 18" than 19" for sure and cheaper to boot.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:37 AM   #6
XLR8R

My Ride: 2003 Blue Evo
don't you need a rollbar for the track? I assume youre taking the car that's in your sig...
XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:52 AM   #7
marsfire0

My Ride: 997, s2k,e30m3, ae86
hmm, unless you have money to burn, you might want to just go to a few track events first and see how you like it. if it's something you end up doing a lot, then you can look into a set of track tires/wheels.

but if its a once or twice a year thing, you should be perfectly fine using what you have on your car right now. i use my street tires/rims on my e36 and e30.

because in the beginning, its more about having fun and learning how to drive well. youre not looking to shave off that much time yet or even timing laps.

good luck!
Old 01-10-2005, 09:50 PM   #8
omes

My Ride: E60 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8R
don't you need a rollbar for the track? I assume youre taking the car that's in your sig...
I have talked to the local BMW club and there aren't any verts on the track right now, so they are going to look into it for me as my car does have rollover protection but worst case I have to put my hardtop on for tracking.

Thanks for all the info guys, I have decieded to keep my OZ Racing Rims (18's) with the Pirelli Pzero Neros (summers) just for tracking.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:03 PM   #9
Spiral Prophet
Über-Geek

My Ride: '01 Topaz Blue 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Spiral  Prophet
most tracks require you to have a fixed roll bar installed in a vert to run... the pop up roll over protection and the removable hard top doesn't usually count.. just FYI..

~T|/\/\
Spiral  Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote