E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2006, 10:52 PM   #1
mandms7

My Ride: 2005 330Ci ZHP
Headlight System Question on 2005 ZHP

I brought my 2005 330Ci in the other day to have the xenon adaptive headlight system checked out due to the headlights malfunctioning (not moving) intermittently. The previous owner of the car had angel eyes installed. I got a call later in the day, and the service advisor told me they won't cover repairing the headlight system because the headlights are no longer covered under warranty due to the angel eyes being installed. He said that since the headlight assembly had to have been opened to install the angel eyes, that action automatically voided the warranty on them. He said the only way to correct the problem is for me to purchase new headlights at a cost of $2,300!

Is there more to the "headlight system" than just the headlights? When the dealership ran a test, they found a fault code that mentioned a problem communicating with the "stepper motors". Where are those located? Is it possible that there is something wrong with the headlight system outside of the headlights?
mandms7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:56 PM   #2
james2538

My Ride: Sold
Wow... They are really trying to screw you good.

The only thing necessay to remove in order to install angle eyes is the lens cover for the headlight. If they try to void the warrenty thats bullshit.
james2538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:55 PM   #3
bimmerbum46

My Ride: sweet pair of Vans
Send a message via AIM to bimmerbum46
take it to another dealer.....that dealer is trying to spin the dreidle on your ass really bad
Old 10-16-2006, 12:21 AM   #4
Tyler@UniqueDesign
Car Junky

My Ride: has a torn subframe
Send a message via AIM to Tyler@UniqueDesign
I'd recommend you remove the angel eyes and try another dealer, hope it didn't get flagged in the computer.

I hate to say it, but there is a possibility its damage from the install (some people are less careful than others).

The DDE's themselves won't do anything, but if you can do the DIY, its worth taking them out, getting the lights fixed, and replacing them.
Tyler@UniqueDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:42 PM   #5
mandms7

Do the dealerships share a central database for service records? If I go to another dealership after I have the angel eyes removed, would that dealership know about the issue with the headlights?
Old 10-16-2006, 11:50 PM   #6
Tyler@UniqueDesign
Car Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandms7 View Post
Do the dealerships share a central database for service records? If I go to another dealership after I have the angel eyes removed, would that dealership know about the issue with the headlights?
Depends on if the dealer made a note of it on the service records.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:18 AM   #7
mandms7

So if on the invoice I received when picking up the car it mentions the modification to the headlights, it will show up on any dealership's system when they look up my car?
Old 10-18-2006, 08:54 AM   #8
Tyler@UniqueDesign
Car Junky

Quote:
So if on the invoice I received when picking up the car it mentions the modification to the headlights, it will show up on any dealership's system when they look up my car?
Probably. Thats a tough one to dodge if they put it in like that.

Might just find another dealer then. Ask around locally, I know of a couple where the tech's are more friendly, and maintenance work becomes more thorough for a small bribe.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:11 PM   #9
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
I brought my 2005 330Ci in the other day to have the xenon adaptive headlight system checked out due to the headlights malfunctioning (not moving) intermittently. The previous owner of the car had angel eyes installed. I got a call later in the day, and the service advisor told me they won't cover repairing the headlight system because the headlights are no longer covered under warranty due to the angel eyes being installed. He said that since the headlight assembly had to have been opened to install the angel eyes, that action automatically voided the warranty on them. He said the only way to correct the problem is for me to purchase new headlights at a cost of $2,300!

Is there more to the "headlight system" than just the headlights? When the dealership ran a test, they found a fault code that mentioned a problem communicating with the "stepper motors". Where are those located? Is it possible that there is something wrong with the headlight system outside of the headlights?
This sounds like San Francisco BMW or Sonnen.

Now, here's the rub:

1) If your previous owner screwed up the install in some way or did some damage to the lights, then they have the right to tell you that your headlight is broken and that you should pay to fix it but you shouldn't pay $2300, that's bogus.

2) If you legitimately believe that there is no issue with your lights, feel free to visit our shop in Pleasanton, we'll look it over and even recommend a location to get it fixed for less or nothing depending on how it's installed.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:15 PM   #10
mandms7

Actually, it was Concord BMW.

I live in Livermore and would really appreciate it if I could come by and get your assistance. I really don't have any idea if it is the lights or not, and I need whatever help I can get in determining what exactly is going on. Who should I ask for when I call/come by?

Thanks,
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
This sounds like San Francisco BMW or Sonnen.

Now, here's the rub:

1) If your previous owner screwed up the install in some way or did some damage to the lights, then they have the right to tell you that your headlight is broken and that you should pay to fix it but you shouldn't pay $2300, that's bogus.

2) If you legitimately believe that there is no issue with your lights, feel free to visit our shop in Pleasanton, we'll look it over and even recommend a location to get it fixed for less or nothing depending on how it's installed.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:50 AM   #11
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
You can visit on Monday/Tuessday of next week. This week is very busy already.