E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2004, 02:40 PM   #1
pbenjamin

My Ride: 2002 330i
Valentine One now has POP

Below is an e-mail from Valentine One sales regarding the V1's new POP functionality.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir:

Thanks for your email. We appreciate your kind words about our V1.

In response to your questions, you will be able to upgrade your V1 to POP. We will begin doing the upgrades in January of
next year. Since POP is on K or Ka band, the tone and visual will be the same as other radar on those bands. Incidentally,
we are the only ones who cover POP on both K and Ka. Everyone else only gets it on Ka.

We have done some tweaks on Ka-band, but there has not been a jump in range in the past two years. Please note
that the V1 still beats everyone in range across the board on X, K, Ka and Laser.

The Spectre is a detector-detector device that sniffs out leakage from all detectors. It has never been used against
cars in the USA, but is being used in Canada. We are trying to figure out how to solve the problem, but according to Mike and the other engineers, it's a complicated fix, since Spectre has promised that detector makers eliminate leakage at the current frequency, then Spectre will issue software to scan at another frequency. One note: the V1 has always been invisible to the VG2, which is used in Virginia.

We are not sure what the cost is going to be for the upgrade. Please stay tuned to the site at www.valentine1.com.

Cordially,

Pete Kaufman
Sales Department

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2004 11:36 AM
To: Sales
Subject: V1 Updates?

Hello!

I have been an owner of a V1, v1.8 for just over 2 years now. I bought a V1 because I am a very discriminating buyer when it comes to purchases of this sort and wanted the best. I have been pleased with my purchase thus far, but have some concerns with my V1 being up to date with current speed enforcement technologies. Recently, I have passed by speed traps near my house without my V1 alerting me. The result was numerous drive bys with no alerts.

I have visited your website, soaked up all the info available and am left yearning for more information. Specifically, I am interested in details related to the new POP detection added to the newest version of the V1 and details on upgrading my current V1 with the new functionality. Also, in addition to adding POP to V1, have there been any other enhancements to the V1. Below are some questions I have :

- How is POP radar reported/distinguished from other alerts by the V1 (sounds, visual alerts or both?)

- Have there been improvements to Ka sensitivity and instant-on

- Radar Detector Detectors stealth improvements?

- What is the upgrade cost from V1, 1.8

Regards,
Paul
pbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:47 PM   #2
CYBER PETE
Dinan Pimp

My Ride: 2006 Honda Ridgeline
Cool...looks like it will soon be time to ship it in for an upgrade. Thanks for sharing...
Old 12-02-2004, 11:03 AM   #3
ba23

My Ride: nada
Wow, V1.8 has been around for over 2 years? I didn't know that, I've been holding off on getting one for months b/c I don't want to buy 1.8 and 2 months later a new version comes out, but the months keep going by with no new version. I'm getting one for christmas finally and I had my girlfriend send them an email before she buys asking when they expect an upgrade and the guy mentioned the POP that has been added, but he said there is nothing else in the pipeline for now.
ba23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:50 PM   #4
Cruxader

My Ride: 2003 330i
isn't POP the cop turning on the radar only when you pass?
Cruxader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 06:05 PM   #5
CynicalWry
Doesn't like PMs...Email me

My Ride: 00 323i-05 cbr600rr
Send a message via AIM to CynicalWry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruxader
isn't POP the cop turning on the radar only when you pass?
Sort of....

Basically, when a cop turns the radar on and off, your detector will pick it up from the time it is on to the time it turns off (normally 3-5 seconds).

Pop turns on and off so quickly that the V1 was unable to detect it (.067 seconds from the time it turned on the the time it turned off). This is a new technology that is being introduced (see v1's webpage for more info). Passport's 8500 and V1's latester version are the only detectors that I am aware of that can detect pop.

Authorized Umnitza.com installer
301-825-5871
http://www.robinsNestChildCare.com - - - - - http://www.tntTint.net

CynicalWry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:54 AM   #6
gfeiner

My Ride: 2003 330i
And according to the info about POP on the valentine website, the makers of the POP radar system recommend NOT writing tickets based on speed readings taken from POP radar. This is because POP is unreliable. Based on this, I bet you could go to court and win if you get issued a ticket and the cop used POP to take the reading.

Info here: http://www.valentine1.com/pop/whatispop.asp
gfeiner is offline   Reply With Quote