E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-06-2004, 03:18 PM   #21
xodus

My Ride: 04 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeser09
Much easier install than doing the full blown harness.
I'm planning to do the harness when I have time. BTW, where did you tap your wires to? How do they turn on/off when you tap in to ECU?
Old 12-06-2004, 04:22 PM   #22
Moeser09

My Ride: 2k1 M3
I tapped the green wire into the ECU accessory wire - for me it's red and white striped with yellow dots. The turn on and off with the key in the accessory on position (however, with the interior tap - they come on when the interior lights are on - unlocking, door open etc).

The blue wire is tapped into the interior footwell lighting.
Moeser09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:18 PM   #23
Moeser09

I found some braided fabric wire/cable sleeving and put it on the wires (I capped them at the ends with heat shrink wrap, but you can use zip ties too. On the driver's side wires - you're going to need two lengths of sleeving so you can have the ECU tap wire run off separately (see the green wire in the picture.

Here's the finished product:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wrapped.JPG
Views:	571
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	101270  
Old 12-18-2004, 05:06 PM   #24
Staszek
Are we there yet??

My Ride: Now a daily drive
Send a message via AIM to Staszek
Great DIY thanks! Worked like a charm!

Euro Delivery Date 8/14: 2013 E93
///M3 -6MT
Staszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 12:10 AM   #25
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
great write up on the wiring harness
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 01:03 AM   #26
soopafly1

My Ride: BMW
Send a message via AIM to soopafly1
xodus...............

i love your rims!!!!!!! where did u get those...jus straight from bmw i suppose...i wonder y i havnt seen those anywhere

hook me up
soopafly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 04:22 AM   #27
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: Vorsteiner 335i
Send a message via AIM to Jlevi SW
Nice write up indeed. It's missing some of the niceties, for example heat-resistant sheathing, but it does function and eliminates any chance of an electrical problem.
Very well done! It's a lot of work to crimp all those wires etc etc, but it looks like you did a great job
Jlevi SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 01:09 PM   #28
Moeser09

I did put sleeving on the wires - I just had to go buy some after the harness was already made. Heat resistant sheething is like $.25-.29 per foot in quantity. It's really pretty cheap.

Anyhow - here's a video "jlevi style." Remote operation
Old 12-27-2004, 03:12 PM   #29
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: Vorsteiner 335i
Send a message via AIM to Jlevi SW
Thanks for the name throwout - but the Remote activation idea was originally given to me by "needanswer" - I give credit where credit is due.
As for making it a nice pre-made package, the idea was BMWERKEN's, but the investment and effort was mine
Jlevi SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 05:26 PM   #30
Moeser09

woohoo - props to everyone
Old 12-28-2004, 08:30 AM   #31
Naija

My Ride: BMW 323i
Thanks 'Moeser09'
My Remote kit is working smoooothly. 6 weeks now..(Made the wiring harness from scratch)
Anyway I need to add the heat resistant sheathing to my harness.
Naija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:15 PM   #32
garthbo

My Ride: 03 325i
Wiring to Parking light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSTONVietKid
I have them wired to my parking light...super easy. I actually like them better with the parking lights because I really do not care to have them on all the time. No need to draw attention from the cops around here...already running without the front plate the best time to show off for my friends is to put the emergency parking on...the CCFL will blink and flash for a cool effect. As far as cold weather problem. I can tell you it is getting quite cold in Boston and I don't have any problems like I have been reading on this board with people and other DDEs. Mine already came with the aluminum backing glued on so that is nice. I do think the glue job is not very good because it was falling apart when I was installing the light.

p.s. I have had them for 2 months and I do drive the car daily...so far so fire
Just got those cheap CCFL Angel Eyes from Bangkok for $70. The installation instruction that came with it suggests to connect it to the parking light wire. It also says that I need to remove the parking light bulb. Is this really how its suppose to be??? Won't it look funny running with a missing bulb???
garthbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:38 AM   #33
acitydweller

My Ride: e46 M3
xodus, that looks so hot on your car. Kudos for the install

Laguna Seca Blue E46 M3
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:45 AM   #34
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
I would wire them the same way you see everyone else doing it- to the acc. wire in the ECU. If you wire to the parking lights, they will flash when you signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthbo
Just got those cheap CCFL Angel Eyes from Bangkok for $70. The installation instruction that came with it suggests to connect it to the parking light wire. It also says that I need to remove the parking light bulb. Is this really how its suppose to be??? Won't it look funny running with a missing bulb???

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:13 PM   #35
razrv3

My Ride: 3.0i X5
Where do you guys buy all this stuff from? Fry's didn't have it. They don't know what are all these parts, and neither I do...any website?
razrv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:45 PM   #36
DionikesX

My Ride: 2003 330Ci Sport PKG
Send a message via AIM to DionikesX Send a message via MSN to DionikesX Send a message via Yahoo to DionikesX
Wow. Someone brought this thread back from the dead. I wonder if Moeser and Vietkid are still around. Mine are still connected to my fog lights and I am now in Kuwait missed my Bimmer. Sigh......
Old 03-06-2006, 11:31 PM   #37
Moeser09

Checking in sporadically.

I got my relay from a local auto part store. It might need to be special ordered depending on what your store carries.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:20 PM   #38
DionikesX

My Ride: 2003 330Ci Sport PKG
Send a message via AIM to DionikesX Send a message via MSN to DionikesX Send a message via Yahoo to DionikesX
Ya know I was just thinking...I never did buy that harness from you like I said I would, Moeser. Just call me "schmuckately". Are yours still working? I have one that is intermittent, but otherwise all is good.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:33 PM   #39
VancouverEuros

My Ride: m
I don't understand. Why would you spend $35(roughly) as you say and all that hassle when you can buy a wiring harness brand new for $20?
VancouverEuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:42 PM   #40
Staszek
Are we there yet??

My Ride: Now a daily drive
Send a message via AIM to Staszek
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotti
I don't understand. Why would you spend $35(roughly) as you say and all that hassle when you can buy a wiring harness brand new for $20?

Read when the thread was started it was in 2004. When CCFLs first came out alot of them didn have any wiring harness. Uminitza and Jlevis did, but you could not buy them seperately at the time. So people had to make their own.

It comes out to less then $35 I put mine toget back then for about $20.

Euro Delivery Date 8/14: 2013 E93
///M3 -6MT
Staszek is offline   Reply With Quote