E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2005, 12:43 PM   #21
vmwerks
Past Site Sponsor
 
vmwerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Valley Motorwerks
Posts: 3,632
My Ride: 330zhp Super Coupe
Send a message via AIM to vmwerks
I work with a guy that has a black R32. We drove each others cars on an out and back thht included 2 nice on / offramps. My car had a custom Magnaflow exhaust and the GruppeM at the time. His car was totally stock. The R32 was not "torquey" and was deceptively fast but certainly not quick. My car had loads more torque and snapped our heads pretty hard. I just put over 1200miles on the car and this was the first time I ever had it over 4k rpms. It was the concensus then that I would take the R32 handily. HE has since added a Techtonics exhaust CAI and APR software. We rode in his car again.. it was a different automobile altogether... It had snappy torque and more pull throughout the rpm band. A dyno test showed about 17 extra HP at the flywheel. I think that the 330zhp will still take the R32 down...
vmwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 02:01 PM   #22
Racer2B
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: EC, US
Posts: 130
My Ride: -
Well if you are concerned about drag racing it,just take it to the Strip.

Well Driven R32's are doing very low 13's (13.1-13.2) on stock tires in stock rim.

With some each weight removed,sticky tires, intake, chjip, ewxhuast, it'll be pretty quick.

Don't forget its AWD, so it'll get off the line a lot better then a bimmer in most cases.Eip single turbo stage 1 upgrade, only 8psi on stockcompression, intercooled, pretty standard kit, but EIP has done their homework. They offer everything from heads to race exhuasts for it.

This IS FWHP (they disengage the rear end fr the dyno)



They seem to react wellto FI, b/c 4psi makes this!


Last edited by Racer2B; 01-08-2005 at 02:09 PM.
Racer2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 05:50 PM   #23
DarXide
Registered User
 
DarXide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: MIAMI
Posts: 7,816
My Ride: Slammed on F2's
Send a message via AIM to DarXide Send a message via MSN to DarXide
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3on20z
You mean Golf GTI's?..No such thing as a Jetta GTI...
My friend just got one 3 days ago!
Hey you must have a 6 speed right?
Because the other day an R32 strating at 10mph he ****in smoked me!
I dont knwo if he had any mods but he went away like 2 cars!
__________________
FS 20'' Avus 3 piece wheels with tires 80% thread $2,000 + shipping
FS Brembo BBK 4 Piston 380mm front 345mm rear (silver) $3,800 + shipping
DarXide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:31 PM   #24
vaio76109
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 8,828
My Ride: Race Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer2B
Well Driven R32's are doing very low 13's (13.1-13.2) on stock tires in stock rim.
Im sorry but im gonna have to call on that.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:45 PM   #25
Racer2B
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: EC, US
Posts: 130
My Ride: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109
Im sorry but im gonna have to call on that.
Ok, why would I care?

I know they are going that fast, i dont have anything to prove.

If you don't believe it, whatever, but when you get passed by one, you wont question it

I'm guessing with Intake, Chip, exhuast, HPP, sticky tires, and some lightening, high 12's with ease.

best timeslip I could find online without doing much searching was 13.4, but is a bit old, and i believe he's gone faster since. Have not been keeping up since i think drag strip is a waste of time

Last edited by Racer2B; 01-08-2005 at 06:53 PM.
Racer2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:42 PM   #26
Bronzee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: (775) USA
Posts: 101
My Ride: '04 330 Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3on20z
Yes, the R32 is alot quicker than the 1.8t [V6 (240hp) vs. 4 banger (180hp)]...The 1.8t's can be very quick tho, I just added a chip to my Jetta 1.8t, and it added 40 horse...
I drove a girl friend's jetta 1.8t and it was decently quick for a stock car.

Then I went for a ride in my employee's Jetta 1.8t that had an APR chip and euro tranny (amongst other things). I was in complete shock at how much faster it was. stock turbo.


Nice kill on the R32. Do you think it would be a different story from off the line, it being AWD?

I'm actually sooooo happy you won tho
Bronzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:54 AM   #27
vaio76109
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 8,828
My Ride: Race Cars
And my cars runs 12s stock...

Ther only way a VW R32 would run low 13s stock is falling from the sky.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:24 AM   #28
Racer2B
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: EC, US
Posts: 130
My Ride: -
Damn your car runs 12's stock thats sweet.

R32's are running low 13's, so I guess you'd be wrong...
Racer2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:09 AM   #29
vaio76109
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 8,828
My Ride: Race Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer2B
Damn your car runs 12's stock thats sweet.

R32's are running low 13's, so I guess you'd be wrong...
Anyways, i did some searching and came up blank. Care to cite some of your sources?
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:40 PM   #30
Iceman1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 551
My Ride: 03' 330Ci 02' S2000
Send a message via AIM to Iceman1 Send a message via Yahoo to Iceman1
well R32's might be running 13's but they are modded... stock R32's are running low 14's at best... my friend who had a CAI ran mid 14's...
__________________


Happiness isnt around the corner...Happiness is the corner
Iceman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:47 PM   #31
Racer2B
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: EC, US
Posts: 130
My Ride: -
hey i dont check this forum much, but i got an email that there wasa reply. I dont care for drag racing, and with the limited following I have on it, there is quitre a big 13 second club for r32's that are not modded, maybe thier rear seats removed, or a simple CAI or something, nothing major. I think getting it off the line is most peoples problems, and having a really solid launch is very important. If the car bogs even the slightest big, you're screwed.
Racer2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:14 AM   #32
vaio76109
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 8,828
My Ride: Race Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer2B
hey i dont check this forum much, but i got an email that there wasa reply. I dont care for drag racing, and with the limited following I have on it, there is quitre a big 13 second club for r32's that are not modded, maybe thier rear seats removed, or a simple CAI or something, nothing major. I think getting it off the line is most peoples problems, and having a really solid launch is very important. If the car bogs even the slightest big, you're screwed.
Like Iceman1 said, R32's are running low 14s stock.

Shure with some weight removed it can get into the 13s. Seeing how the car weights around 3500lbs it would be pretty easy to remove some of that.

Either way this is what you said:
"Well Driven R32's are doing very low 13's (13.1-13.2) on stock tires in stock rim."
Rim=Trim, I assume

Wouldnt stock trim include the interior and such?

And where are your sources? According to you there pretty easy to find, so take a minute and do that for us.

Thanks,
Greg.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:57 AM   #33
M VENOM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Los Angeles, Cali
Posts: 1,963
My Ride: 06 ZCP JB M3 -sold-
My friend has a Red GLI.....with Borla Exhaust, Revo chip, and intake....he put the chip to level 7 ....i guess it boosts up the lbs....he couldve put it to level 9 but they told him that he was going to blow his motor, unless he gets a bigger turbo.....he was running high 14's.
__________________
Retired

M VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:07 AM   #34
DMan330i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ft. Worth, Texas area
Posts: 194
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by folsom330i
I work with a guy that has a black R32. We drove each others cars on an out and back thht included 2 nice on / offramps. My car had a custom Magnaflow exhaust and the GruppeM at the time. His car was totally stock. The R32 was not "torquey" and was deceptively fast but certainly not quick. My car had loads more torque and snapped our heads pretty hard. I just put over 1200miles on the car and this was the first time I ever had it over 4k rpms. It was the concensus then that I would take the R32 handily. HE has since added a Techtonics exhaust CAI and APR software. We rode in his car again.. it was a different automobile altogether... It had snappy torque and more pull throughout the rpm band. A dyno test showed about 17 extra HP at the flywheel. I think that the 330zhp will still take the R32 down...
I agree the R32 doesn't seem that fast when you drive in it but it is very deceptive. In fact the first time I rode in my brothers R32 and he rode in my car we both thought that my car pulled harder and would easily win. When my bro and I race I win about half the time when we race from a dead stop. If he gets a good launch he usually takes me off the line and I only begin to catch him up around 100 mph. When it is really cold out and the pavement is cold I have a harder time trying to hook up and then he really dogs me off the line by like 1 1/2 car lengths. He usually launches at 5000-5500 rpms and that car just jumps off the line. He recently raced a stock Evo and the Evo only beat him by 1/2 a car length. The R32s are definitely quick with their AWD and it is definitely a drivers race. Props to VW for developing a great handling and driving car.

p.s. My bros best 1/8 mile time was 9.4 sec with a trap speed of 75.12 mph.
__________________
2002 Silver 330i 5-speed manual/Sport Pkg.

MODS:
-GruppeM intake
-Technik Stage 1 powerkit
-3.15 Differential
-Illuminated M shifter
-Custom clutch stop
-BMW M3 sport pedals & dead stop
DMan330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:41 PM   #35
vmwerks
Past Site Sponsor
 
vmwerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Valley Motorwerks
Posts: 3,632
My Ride: 330zhp Super Coupe
Send a message via AIM to vmwerks
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109
Like Iceman1 said, R32's are running low 14s stock.

Shure with some weight removed it can get into the 13s. Seeing how the car weights around 3500lbs it would be pretty easy to remove some of that.

Either way this is what you said:
"Well Driven R32's are doing very low 13's (13.1-13.2) on stock tires in stock rim."
Rim=Trim, I assume

Wouldnt stock trim include the interior and such?

And where are your sources? According to you there pretty easy to find, so take a minute and do that for us.

Thanks,
Greg.

"Shure with some weight removed it can get into the 13s. Seeing how the car weights around 3500lbs it would be pretty easy to remove some of that."

I think most of that weight is in the drive system so the phat may not be that easily removed... The R32 was in teh running when I sold my 530i but it was too hmm smooth? I liked the raw torque of the 330
vmwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:26 PM   #36
vaio76109
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 8,828
My Ride: Race Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan330i
p.s. My bros best 1/8 mile time was 9.4 sec with a trap speed of 75.12 mph.
Ok my 1/8th mile is a 9.404@74.93. I dont know why some of yall think that the R32 is a low 13 second car, maybe you were thinking of a skyline

And remember the R32 is AWD so thats a huge advantage at a short track such as the 1/8th mile.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:39 PM   #37
Racer2B
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: EC, US
Posts: 130
My Ride: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by folsom330i
"Shure with some weight removed it can get into the 13s. Seeing how the car weights around 3500lbs it would be pretty easy to remove some of that."

I think most of that weight is in the drive system so the phat may not be that easily removed... The R32 was in teh running when I sold my 530i but it was too hmm smooth? I liked the raw torque of the 330
My r32 project's target street tim weight is 2750, from the calculations I have done, i should be easily able to hit that without getting any carbon bodyh components other then a hood. I got some other tricks, but no body panel replacement otherwise. Interior will be cleanly gutted for street use, not racecar gutted to bare sheet metal...I have a racecarfor that R32 will just be a fun daily driverproject.

Raw torque? Comparing the R32 and 330i torque curves...R32 has it beat pretty good

Last edited by Racer2B; 01-12-2005 at 03:50 PM.
Racer2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:22 PM   #38
vmwerks
Past Site Sponsor
 
vmwerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Valley Motorwerks
Posts: 3,632
My Ride: 330zhp Super Coupe
Send a message via AIM to vmwerks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer2B
My r32 project's target street tim weight is 2750, from the calculations I have done, i should be easily able to hit that without getting any carbon bodyh components other then a hood. I got some other tricks, but no body panel replacement otherwise. Interior will be cleanly gutted for street use, not racecar gutted to bare sheet metal...I have a racecarfor that R32 will just be a fun daily driverproject.

Raw torque? Comparing the R32 and 330i torque curves...R32 has it beat pretty good

You don't feel it... too smooth.. hence the term RAW...
vmwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:15 AM   #39
VivaM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 386
My Ride: 95 Toyota Celica
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109
Ok my 1/8th mile is a 9.404@74.93. I dont know why some of yall think that the R32 is a low 13 second car, maybe you were thinking of a skyline

And remember the R32 is AWD so thats a huge advantage at a short track such as the 1/8th mile.
just out of curiosity, what is your speed as you shift into 3rd gear?
VivaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:54 PM   #40
DarXide
Registered User
 
DarXide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: MIAMI
Posts: 7,816
My Ride: Slammed on F2's
Send a message via AIM to DarXide Send a message via MSN to DarXide
I think mine is on the 60's im not sure tho!
__________________
FS 20'' Avus 3 piece wheels with tires 80% thread $2,000 + shipping
FS Brembo BBK 4 Piston 380mm front 345mm rear (silver) $3,800 + shipping
DarXide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use