E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2004, 02:10 PM   #1
pjo1966

My Ride: 2005 325i
2005 E46 w/ Nav & Assist... want Sirius

I am waiting for my 2005 E46 to arrive this week. It will have the Navigation and BMW Assist. I would like to add Sirius. I've done a lot of searching and have not found DIY instructions specifically for the 2005. The E46 should be pre-wired and it should be a simple matter to install if I could find instructions. The only question is where to place the antenna, inside on the back shelf or on the trunk. In a perfect world it would be pre-wired into the antenna fin. I don't believe that is the case. My dealer wants $230 to install. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...
pjo1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:34 PM   #2
Technic

My Ride: '12 M3 & '10 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjo1966
I am waiting for my 2005 E46 to arrive this week. It will have the Navigation and BMW Assist. I would like to add Sirius. I've done a lot of searching and have not found DIY instructions specifically for the 2005. The E46 should be pre-wired and it should be a simple matter to install if I could find instructions. The only question is where to place the antenna, inside on the back shelf or on the trunk. In a perfect world it would be pre-wired into the antenna fin. I don't believe that is the case. My dealer wants $230 to install. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...
This the Sirius tuner installation manual. For the antenna you will need to use the trunk lid mount (the roof mount cannot be possible because of the Sharkfin). You can try the back shelf, however you could have Sat reception problems using the rear shelf as a mounting point according to some forum members.
Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 04:22 PM   #3
pjo1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
This the Sirius tuner installation manual. For the antenna you will need to use the trunk lid mount (the roof mount cannot be possible because of the Sharkfin). You can try the back shelf, however you could have Sat reception problems using the rear shelf as a mounting point according to some forum members.

Those instructions are from 2002... are they the latest and greatest?
Old 12-07-2004, 05:13 PM   #4
Technic

Quote:
Those instructions are from 2002... are they the latest and greatest?
Yes... just plug the sucker and there you go.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:26 PM   #5
pjo1966

Quote:
Yes... just plug the sucker and there you go.
That looks easy enough... the antenna installation seems a bit more challenging...
Old 12-07-2004, 06:05 PM   #6
Technic

Quote:
That looks easy enough... the antenna installation seems a bit more challenging...
Your car will have the Sharkfin antenna in the Sirius roof antenna spot, you will need the trunk mount type...
Old 12-07-2004, 06:16 PM   #7
pjo1966

Quote:
Your car will have the Sharkfin antenna in the Sirius roof antenna spot, you will need the trunk mount type...

Are there instructions for the trunk mount anywhere? I didn't see them on that same site.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:28 PM   #8
Technic

Quote:
Are there instructions for the trunk mount anywhere? I didn't see them on that same site.

Thanks for your help.
I have not found those intructions yet... sorry. They will be included in your antenna package once you buy it, though...
Old 12-07-2004, 06:31 PM   #9
pjo1966

Quote:
I have not found those intructions yet... sorry. They will be included in your antenna package once you buy it, though...

This has instructions for every vehicle imaginable. Page 8 has instructions for trunk mounts (for convertibles).

http://www.sirius.com/pdf/manuals/SR-ANTRMSIR.pdf
Old 12-07-2004, 06:39 PM   #10
Technic

Quote:
This has instructions for every vehicle imaginable. Page 8 has instructions for trunk mounts (for convertibles).

http://www.sirius.com/pdf/manuals/SR-ANTRMSIR.pdf
Excellent... thanks!
Old 12-15-2004, 09:34 PM   #11
pjo1966

update

I got my car on Friday. I received the Sirius parts on Monday. After looking inside the trunk I chickened out on doing the installation myself. I saw the possibility of getting the trunk liner tucked back neatly as a challenge. I had it installed today. They put the antenna on the trunk, which would not have been my first choice. The antenna itself is much smaller than the one I had on my Infiniti, so it's not bad. I was able to get it activated and was struggling to figure out exactly how everything worked. The display and controls are different from the Infiniti. Is there a manual anywhere on-line that indicates how to use Sirius with the Nav screen? I noticed that only 16 characters or so displayed at a time. On the Infiniti there was a knob I could turn to see the rest of the info. I turned every knob possible and pushed random buttons with no luck. A users manual would be very helpful...

... anyone?