E46 Fanatics Forum banner

2005 E46 w/ Nav & Assist... want Sirius

1K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  pjo1966 
#1 ·
I am waiting for my 2005 E46 to arrive this week. It will have the Navigation and BMW Assist. I would like to add Sirius. I've done a lot of searching and have not found DIY instructions specifically for the 2005. The E46 should be pre-wired and it should be a simple matter to install if I could find instructions. The only question is where to place the antenna, inside on the back shelf or on the trunk. In a perfect world it would be pre-wired into the antenna fin. I don't believe that is the case. My dealer wants $230 to install. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...

#2 ·
pjo1966 said:
I am waiting for my 2005 E46 to arrive this week. It will have the Navigation and BMW Assist. I would like to add Sirius. I've done a lot of searching and have not found DIY instructions specifically for the 2005. The E46 should be pre-wired and it should be a simple matter to install if I could find instructions. The only question is where to place the antenna, inside on the back shelf or on the trunk. In a perfect world it would be pre-wired into the antenna fin. I don't believe that is the case. My dealer wants $230 to install. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...
This the Sirius tuner installation manual. For the antenna you will need to use the trunk lid mount (the roof mount cannot be possible because of the Sharkfin). You can try the back shelf, however you could have Sat reception problems using the rear shelf as a mounting point according to some forum members.

#3 ·
Technic said:
This the Sirius tuner installation manual. For the antenna you will need to use the trunk lid mount (the roof mount cannot be possible because of the Sharkfin). You can try the back shelf, however you could have Sat reception problems using the rear shelf as a mounting point according to some forum members.

Those instructions are from 2002... are they the latest and greatest?

#11 ·
update

I got my car on Friday. I received the Sirius parts on Monday. After looking inside the trunk I chickened out on doing the installation myself. I saw the possibility of getting the trunk liner tucked back neatly as a challenge. I had it installed today. They put the antenna on the trunk, which would not have been my first choice. The antenna itself is much smaller than the one I had on my Infiniti, so it's not bad. I was able to get it activated and was struggling to figure out exactly how everything worked. The display and controls are different from the Infiniti. Is there a manual anywhere on-line that indicates how to use Sirius with the Nav screen? I noticed that only 16 characters or so displayed at a time. On the Infiniti there was a knob I could turn to see the rest of the info. I turned every knob possible and pushed random buttons with no luck. A users manual would be very helpful...

... anyone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.