E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2004, 08:45 PM   #1
jchristena

My Ride: 2004 E46 M3
I've just about had it with this H/K problem.

My 04 M3 is less than 1 month old. The dealer has tried to fix the passenger door speaker rattle 3 times! I have tried to fix it myself with the felt strips fix. Currently, i have felt between the door panel and the door running from midway along the bottom of the door, to midway up the inside of the door. The speaker still rattles like crazy at moderate volume with the bass set only 1 notch from the center.

I have done all the searches on multiple forums, and on google. It seems everyone is able to fix their problem w/ the felt strips, and the BMW SIB. Everyone but me. What am I missing? What can I try next?

Sorry if I am ranting a bit but I need to vent. You spend almost 60k on a car and the stereo doesn't even work worth a $h1t? I really need some help here. My wife ordered the IceLink Plus kit and a new IPOD a couple of weeks ago and is giving them to me for Christmas. At this point, it is frustrating that even with my shiny new IPOD, and 10k songs at my disposal, they are all going to sound horrible.

Any and all help is appreciated. I know this topic has been beat to death but maybe someone has come up with some new ideas?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:48 PM   #2
04E46

My Ride: 04 M3
I ripped mine out and put in all new speakers/subs/headunit/amps.

Its well worth it.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:03 PM   #3
matplaza

My Ride: carbon black smg m3
i hear your pain man, i am frustrated for the exact same reasons and bmwna has now had the balls to tell a customer that they will not work on the speakers anymore. Their bulletin was crap anyway, but to say something like to a customer on almost 60k car was just mindblowing to me. I am glad 5series and 6series arent doing well for bmwna. They need a slap in the face and learn that customer service matters.

Back to speakers, many have actually put clothe around the speakers to stop the vibrations, some have put dynomat on the entire door panel, both claim they work. Some just replaced the speaker with after market and they say that works too. My passenger side rattles to unbearable level at times, especially with higher base, drives me nuts at times.
matplaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 09:24 PM   #4
jchristena

Quote:
Originally Posted by matplaza
i hear your pain man, i am frustrated for the exact same reasons and bmwna has now had the balls to tell a customer that they will not work on the speakers anymore. Their bulletin was crap anyway, but to say something like to a customer on almost 60k car was just mindblowing to me. I am glad 5series and 6series arent doing well for bmwna. They need a slap in the face and learn that customer service matters.

Back to speakers, many have actually put clothe around the speakers to stop the vibrations, some have put dynomat on the entire door panel, both claim they work. Some just replaced the speaker with after market and they say that works too. My passenger side rattles to unbearable level at times, especially with higher base, drives me nuts at times.
Thanks for the response. Nice to know I am not alone. I thought the "stuffing the cloth" fix was for the rear deck rattle which I am fortunate enough not to have come across YET. Seems like it might be the next thing to try though. Is the general consensus that the speaker is rattling in the door, of the door panel is rattling against the door itself? Thanks again.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:08 AM   #5
matplaza

My Ride: carbon black smg m3
what happens is that when the plastic tabs holding the speaker in place does not do its job and especially with harder m3 suspension with bad roads, the problem gets worse and fast. Though many 3series coupe with HK has this problem. The speakers are fine, they just are secure enough. I didnt have rear deck rattle either, well until couple monthes ago and they cant get this **** fixed either with the bulletin (I swear bmw bulletin for rattles suck ASS) and many put velcro tapes to fix that rattle. People put clothe around the speaker so that they fit more secure without moving and vibrating against the plastic trims which causes that rattle noise. Very few lucky ppl have had luck with bulletin fixes, although many agiain had the problem come back sooner or later. Local audio shop said they can fix it, but I just dont want to pay own money to fix manufacture prob with warranty, for now at least, plus labor for pulling off door panels is not cheap.
matplaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:48 AM   #6
jchristena

Just called the local car audio shop here in Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matplaza
what happens is that when the plastic tabs holding the speaker in place does not do its job and especially with harder m3 suspension with bad roads, the problem gets worse and fast. Though many 3series coupe with HK has this problem. The speakers are fine, they just are secure enough. I didnt have rear deck rattle either, well until couple monthes ago and they cant get this **** fixed either with the bulletin (I swear bmw bulletin for rattles suck ASS) and many put velcro tapes to fix that rattle. People put clothe around the speaker so that they fit more secure without moving and vibrating against the plastic trims which causes that rattle noise. Very few lucky ppl have had luck with bulletin fixes, although many agiain had the problem come back sooner or later. Local audio shop said they can fix it, but I just dont want to pay own money to fix manufacture prob with warranty, for now at least, plus labor for pulling off door panels is not cheap.

They have never heard of a H/K rattle on new BMWs. This was Custom Sounds. Anybody else in Austin know of a good shop that might know how to fix this?
Old 12-14-2004, 10:49 AM   #7
jchristena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04E46
I ripped mine out and put in all new speakers/subs/headunit/amps.

Its well worth it.
But, the problem is supposedly the doorpanel rattling against the door. How does changing the speakers address that? I believe you that it fixed the problem, but I just would like to know how...
Old 12-14-2004, 10:50 AM   #8
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
You will almost always get a rattle because the speaker is mounted to a relatively flimsy door panel. Some have mounted the speaker to the actual door...which is the only guaranteed way to solve the problem.

You can put dynamat on the doors but the plastic clips won't be able to hold the weight...which is the weak point, the clips.
bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote