E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
rover220

My Ride: Golf MK VI GT
Infinity set-up for non-HK sedan, good?

Hi guys

I am in the process of trying to figure out how best to upgrade my current, non-HK, non BMW amp stereo system

One thing is certain, I will leave the factory HU.

I am looking at these 5.25" to replace the ones up front: http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/p...=US&Region=USA

What do you think? Will I have any issues installing these, as well as the tweeter? Will I need any extra brackets etc?

Out back I am looking at these 6.5": http://www.infinitysystems.de/car/pr...&Region=EUROPE

Thinking of skipping the tweeter in the back, donīt think I will need it.

Are these 6.5" in the rear up to par?

To power these I am looking at the following amp: http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/p...=US&Region=USA

Also I will need two high/low converters from the HU to the amp right?

Please give me any advice you can, as well as other options if you donīt think these will be good!
rover220 is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
BmwAudio32

My Ride: 2004 Imola 330i ZHP
Infinity makes great home audio equipment, thier car speakers aren't quite up to that level but they are pretty decent. It should certaintly sound better than stock. As for the amps, they are pretty decent, if you get a good deal on one they will do the job, but there are other amps you may have better results with. Total Mobile Audio makes some great amps in the low price range, but they are made by JL Audio and are pretty much like thier more expensive amps in sound. Some hi/lo converters support 4 channels and can do it all in one box, like the Peripheral SVEN4, or the Soundgate LOC that BSW sells.
BmwAudio32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
rover220

Man all these things would be so much easier if I were in the States.. We donīt have a lot of the brands you have and ordering across an ocean is always a little iffy with regards to delivery time, warranties etc..

Anybody have an opinion on JBL for speakers? I listened to the Infinity and they sounded good in the store. Realize it wont be the same in the car with the doors closed but stil.. The JBL they had sounded pretty good too....

Would looking at Phoenix Gold or DLS make a huge difference?

Last edited by rover220; 06-10-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
preal

My Ride: 04 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover220 View Post
Man all these things would be so much easier if I were in the States.. We donīt have a lot of the brands you have and ordering across an ocean is always a little iffy with regards to delivery time, warranties etc..

Anybody have an opinion on JBL for speakers? I listened to the Infinity and they sounded good in the store. Realize it wont be the same in the car with the doors closed but stil.. The JBL they had sounded pretty good too....

Would looking at Phoenix Gold or DLS make a huge difference?

I have owned infinity comps in the past and they are incredibly harsh and have almost non-existant mid-bass.

DLS makes some great speakers, but for most they are a stretch in budget.

Are the Pheonix gold rsd's available in your area? They are great bang for the buck speakers.
preal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
rover220

Infinity is harsh? I thought they sounded pretty warm...odd

I listened to some Rockford Fosgates, they were harsh as hell....

As for DLS I believe they are swedish? In any case they seem to be a little cheaper than the Infinity option... Phoenix Gold RSDīs are available, and not very expensve, fair bit cheaper than the others.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
preal

Yes DLS is swedish. They make great speakers.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
BmwAudio32

My Ride: 2004 Imola 330i ZHP
Don't forget CDT, either. Woofersetc.com has some steals on CDT speakers, and I think they are better than the Pheonix Gold RDS having heard both.
BmwAudio32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:07 AM   #8
KEENO53

My Ride: 2001 E46 316I SE
i a have infinity reference 5010cs component set up front hooked upto a genesis amp and they sound pretty damn good to me!! im not a fan of their 6x9s but ive found the components to be very good in the past. All depends how much you want to spend!
KEENO53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:19 PM   #9
02m3csl325

My Ride: is Stage 2 AWD!
Everyone has a different taste as to how they like to hear their music. Infinity has excellent products imo. I actually had a semi-sponsorship worked out with them and got awesome deals on their Kappa Perfect line. Incredible sound and clairity for everything that I listened to. I'm actually trying to talk to them again so I can get rid of the paper speakers I have now. Also, Infinity, JBL and HK are owned, operated and produced by Harmon International for all those who didn't know
Old 06-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #10
Crazedcat

My Ride: TiAg 330i
DLS Iridiums.

Most of the better audio manufacturers are in Europe...why buy Infinity? You have Dynaudio, Rainbow, Hertz, Focal, DLS, Audison, etc. all over there!
Old 06-13-2008, 02:18 AM   #11
02m3csl325

Because he was asking about great budget minded audio. If you're going to do it just go all out and do like Arc or something high end along those lines.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #12
preal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02m3csl325 View Post
Because he was asking about great budget minded audio. If you're going to do it just go all out and do like Arc or something high end along those lines.

FYI DLS is high end.

Also, Infinity car audio is only one notch above the sony so it is anything but good.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:46 PM   #13
rover220

Are Infinity amps any good?

For the money the REF-475A looks good with 4x75W RMS.

I have no idea how much the amp affects the sound quality, but would this amp be decent?
Old 06-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #14
preal

Infinity Amps are not that good...

You would do better buying any of the listed brands above. Generally you want to stay away from any brands that are sold in best buy.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #15
02m3csl325

Quote:
Originally Posted by preal View Post
Infinity Amps are not that good...

You would do better buying any of the listed brands above. Generally you want to stay away from any brands that are sold in best buy.
Infinity amps are great, always underrated and very reliable. The best buy part is mostly true although I was refering to Infinity's Perfect line which is not sold in Best Buy.