E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:36 PM   #181
DiceyOne
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 1999 328i
Send a message via AIM to DiceyOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by DensionUSA
Please contact technical support at x112 or send an email to me directly and we can start the techincal support immediately.
email sent. can i call on a saturday? i would rather not spend my minutes being furious over some expensive electronics.
DiceyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 02:42 PM   #182
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiceyOne
email sent. can i call on a saturday? i would rather not spend my minutes being furious over some expensive electronics.
Unfortunately, we are not open weekends. Your email was hand-delivered to one of our technicians and he will be contacting you shortly.
DensionUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 11:45 AM   #183
DiceyOne
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Please contact technical support at x112 or send an email to me directly and we can start the techincal support immediately.
Okay well chase emailed me and sent the newest firmware but how can i update the firmware if it's not working at all? it never loads up with the (old)dension firmware, and it says in the update pdf that i need to select "update ICELINK"... i can't even get it to work a little bit so that i can be blessed with more problems down the road like alternator noises and crazy blinker nonsense. however he did say that if this doesn't work (which it didn't) i can set up some exchange. so at least there is some hope.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:02 PM   #184
jjd

My Ride: 2003.5 M3 Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiceyOne
Okay well chase emailed me and sent the newest firmware but how can i update the firmware if it's not working at all? it never loads up with the (old)dension firmware, and it says in the update pdf that i need to select "update ICELINK"... i can't even get it to work a little bit so that i can be blessed with more problems down the road like alternator noises and crazy blinker nonsense. however he did say that if this doesn't work (which it didn't) i can set up some exchange. so at least there is some hope.
There are specific instructions on how to update the iceLink firmware without having to see the menus. check this out: http://support.dension.com/support-c...2&root=8&id=55
jjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:36 AM   #185
DiceyOne
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd
There are specific instructions on how to update the iceLink firmware without having to see the menus. check this out: http://support.dension.com/support-c...2&root=8&id=55
awesome i'll give it a shot
Old 03-01-2005, 05:03 PM   #186
Blademan

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbcopod
Tom,
I too have notice that at high volumes, during a quite portion on a track (or even with the iPOD paused) I hear a whirring sound. It goes away completlely if I turn off the engine or if I rev the engine above 1000 rpm. I suspect that it is alternator noise.
I thought I was smokin' crak last week, or having audiophile flashbacks, before I saw this thread today:
Same noise here
'00 328i
Icelink trunk install
Blademan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 05:09 PM   #187
Blademan

Quote:
Tom,
...I suspect that it is alternator noise. I am running Ice link plus with 2.05 and have the radio head unit installed (not the trunk cable installtion) in a 2001 325i.

If I buy the 10 amp fuse from radio shack, where do I tell the installation guys to splice it? Or is this not a solveable problem?

Randy
Good question.

Tom,

What do you think?
Since I have a trunk mount Icelink, and if it's alternator noise, this should happen with anyone with a trunk mount CD changer.

However, what if the noise is coming from the Icelink?
Specifically, I mean noise is leaking from the power to the line out audio leads in the trunk cable.

Tom,

Is the Icelink trunk cable audio line out's shielded from the power leads in the cable?
Blademan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 12:10 AM   #188
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blademan
Good question.

Tom,

What do you think?
Since I have a trunk mount Icelink, and if it's alternator noise, this should happen with anyone with a trunk mount CD changer.

However, what if the noise is coming from the Icelink?
Specifically, I mean noise is leaking from the power to the line out audio leads in the trunk cable.

Tom,

Is the Icelink trunk cable audio line out's shielded from the power leads in the cable?
These questions would be best handed through technical support @ 562.595.5153 x112, you can speak directly with our engineers.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:41 AM   #189
agusba

My Ride: BMW 320 ci
I have a problem. When I want to update firmware from 2,04 to 2,05, it leaves "Error 64" , when arriving at point 20 of the update . That problem I have?

Also, I cannot use the function texts because it changes imagenes to me of navigation to the moment that change texts of the song.

Another thing. The wiring of the adapter, in the CD pin, comes with 4 cables, one of them is black and has the loose end. I must leave it loose? Radio module takes a pin of 17.

Greetings
agusba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:19 PM   #190
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by agusba
I have a problem. When I want to update firmware from 2,04 to 2,05, it leaves "Error 64" , when arriving at point 20 of the update . That problem I have?

Also, I cannot use the function texts because it changes imagenes to me of navigation to the moment that change texts of the song.

Another thing. The wiring of the adapter, in the CD pin, comes with 4 cables, one of them is black and has the loose end. I must leave it loose? Radio module takes a pin of 17.

Greetings
Since your kit was purchased overseas, I would recommend contacting Dension directly @ www.dension.com - their kits (and your vehicle) is slightly different from the US models.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:59 PM   #191
zero1niner

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Tom,
....during a quite portion on a track (or even with the iPOD paused) I hear a whirring sound. It goes away completlely if I turn off the engine or if I rev the engine above 1000 rpm. I suspect that it is alternator noise. I am running Ice link plus with 2.05 and have the radio head unit installed (not the trunk cable installtion) in a 2001 325i.

If I buy the 10 amp fuse from radio shack, where do I tell the installation guys to splice it? Or is this not a solveable problem?

Randy

Yikes! This is a bit concerning to me. I am having the alternator whine problem also, but I have the trunk install. Chase's suggestion to correct the problem was to swap out the trunk harness for the radio harness.

I would HATE to spend hours messing with ripping out the trunk install and installing the radio harness just to have the same problem.

Anyone else with the radio harness having whine problems??

Thanks

2002 330ci w HK NAV
zero1niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:41 PM   #192
jluzbet

My Ride: 2003-530I
Send a message via AIM to jluzbet Send a message via MSN to jluzbet Send a message via Yahoo to jluzbet
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero1niner
Yikes! This is a bit concerning to me. I am having the alternator whine problem also, but I have the trunk install. Chase's suggestion to correct the problem was to swap out the trunk harness for the radio harness.

I would HATE to spend hours messing with ripping out the trunk install and installing the radio harness just to have the same problem.

Anyone else with the radio harness having whine problems??

Thanks

2002 330ci w HK NAV
I am, that crap as soon as you hit 2k rpm the noise is unstoppoble ... Dension Please fix this thing !!!!
jluzbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:36 AM   #193
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluzbet
I am, that crap as soon as you hit 2k rpm the noise is unstoppoble ... Dension Please fix this thing !!!!
Engine noise is not a common problem - contact our technial support team at 562.595.5153 x112 and we can run down some troubleshooting steps.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:55 PM   #194
SanDiegoShaun

My Ride: 2005 330ci ZHP
Ice Link and Sirius Problems?

So the ICE LINK is in and appears to work great. However when listening to Sirius I hear a slight popping sound every few seconds. I was told that the ICE Link cable goes in between the Sirius connection and the car. Was also told that the voltage on the Ice Link could be up to much and causing bleed through to the Sirius. I checked and the voltage was at 2v, I lowered it all the way down to 0.5v and still have the same issue. It is in a 2005 330ci with Nav and the Ice link is connected with the trunk kit.

Does any one else have this problem and / or an suggestions?

Thanks
SanDiegoShaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:05 PM   #195
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoShaun
So the ICE LINK is in and appears to work great. However when listening to Sirius I hear a slight popping sound every few seconds. I was told that the ICE Link cable goes in between the Sirius connection and the car. Was also told that the voltage on the Ice Link could be up to much and causing bleed through to the Sirius. I checked and the voltage was at 2v, I lowered it all the way down to 0.5v and still have the same issue. It is in a 2005 330ci with Nav and the Ice link is connected with the trunk kit.

Does any one else have this problem and / or an suggestions?

Thanks
Shaun,

We spoke earlier on the phone - has tech support contacted you or your installer yet?
Old 03-09-2005, 05:27 PM   #196
SanDiegoShaun

My Ride: 2005 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Shaun,

We spoke earlier on the phone - has tech support contacted you or your installer yet?
Hi Tom,

No not yet.

Thanks
SanDiegoShaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:34 PM   #197
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoShaun
Hi Tom,

No not yet.

Thanks
I have spoken with my technician and he has left a message with your installer's cellphone.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:39 PM   #198
bimmerCi

My Ride: bmw
Alright, so my first day with the icelink everything was working well, no complaints. The next morning I could get to the correct mode on my radio, but all the presets said '1-99 2-99 3-99...etc' and none of these 'playlists' would play anything. The ipod screen displayed a big check mark and 'ok to disconnect'. When I tried playing the ipod first, then connecting it in an attempt to trick it into working it would play the song for a couple seconds, which tells me it isnt a problem with the connection. Of course after a couple seconds the ipod returned to the 'ok to disconnect' screen and the song stopped playing. Later the same day I decided to give it another try, and this time I could not even get to the correct mode on my radio. This makes no sense to me. My ipod still displays the 'ok to disconnect' screen, but here is the strange part. My buddy was over and I tried connecting his ipod to see what would happen. I still could not get to the correct mode on my radio, but his ipod displayed the icelink mode like mine had the previous day when it was working. Of course this meant nothing because my radio would not access the appropriate mode, but I thought the fact that the ipod got to the right mode meant something.

Hopefully this will help out in diagnosing the problem, if anyone figures out a solution please let me know.
bimmerCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:42 PM   #199
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerCi
Alright, so my first day with the icelink everything was working well, no complaints. The next morning I could get to the correct mode on my radio, but all the presets said '1-99 2-99 3-99...etc' and none of these 'playlists' would play anything. The ipod screen displayed a big check mark and 'ok to disconnect'. When I tried playing the ipod first, then connecting it in an attempt to trick it into working it would play the song for a couple seconds, which tells me it isnt a problem with the connection. Of course after a couple seconds the ipod returned to the 'ok to disconnect' screen and the song stopped playing. Later the same day I decided to give it another try, and this time I could not even get to the correct mode on my radio. This makes no sense to me. My ipod still displays the 'ok to disconnect' screen, but here is the strange part. My buddy was over and I tried connecting his ipod to see what would happen. I still could not get to the correct mode on my radio, but his ipod displayed the icelink mode like mine had the previous day when it was working. Of course this meant nothing because my radio would not access the appropriate mode, but I thought the fact that the ipod got to the right mode meant something.

Hopefully this will help out in diagnosing the problem, if anyone figures out a solution please let me know.
Your iPod is not initialized properly. Reboot the iPod and everything will be fixed.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:58 AM   #200
zameus

Just throwing something out there. Could the alternator noise some people are experiencing be due to the differential signals the stock system works off of? I am using an aftermarket amp with the stock HU with a VEN4 converter doing the line-out translation and I have no such problems with my 2000 328i trunk install. I'm not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination but I figured it might be worth mentioning.

Any word on finding a solution to the power-off problem? THAT I am experiencing. I know sooner or later I'm going to forget to switch to FM before I shut the car down and come back to a dead battery.