E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:44 AM   #201
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zameus
Just throwing something out there. Could the alternator noise some people are experiencing be due to the differential signals the stock system works off of? I am using an aftermarket amp with the stock HU with a VEN4 converter doing the line-out translation and I have no such problems with my 2000 328i trunk install. I'm not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination but I figured it might be worth mentioning.

Any word on finding a solution to the power-off problem? THAT I am experiencing. I know sooner or later I'm going to forget to switch to FM before I shut the car down and come back to a dead battery.
We are close to the solution at this time, it seems to only affect Blaupunkt-manufactured radios in the BMW. As soon as a solution is ready - it will be made available via our website and the forums.
DensionUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:11 AM   #202
KarenK

My Ride: 330i XHP/E36 M3
No Sound from Icelink

Tom,

We just installed the ice>Link Plus over this weekend and have no sound coming from it.

Symptoms:
1) No sound from iPod
2) Navigation works via steering wheel or radio
3) Cannot configure head unit. When CarIf_BMW.mp3 is played and the unit connected, the display automatically goes to the "Warning Don't Browse..." splash screen. Configuration never occurs.

We were able to run the Update ice>link to version 2.06 successfully (at least it ran for a few minutes, then the radio automatically came on (perhaps it finished?).

We have the black wire grounded to chassis.

Some users have suggested rotating the 10-pin connector 180 degrees. However, I would think that the ice>link would not work at all if this was oriented wrong.

Please help,

Ted
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:37 PM   #203
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenK
Tom,

We just installed the ice>Link Plus over this weekend and have no sound coming from it.

Symptoms:
1) No sound from iPod
2) Navigation works via steering wheel or radio
3) Cannot configure head unit. When CarIf_BMW.mp3 is played and the unit connected, the display automatically goes to the "Warning Don't Browse..." splash screen. Configuration never occurs.

We were able to run the Update ice>link to version 2.06 successfully (at least it ran for a few minutes, then the radio automatically came on (perhaps it finished?).

We have the black wire grounded to chassis.

Some users have suggested rotating the 10-pin connector 180 degrees. However, I would think that the ice>link would not work at all if this was oriented wrong.

Please help,

Ted
Ted,

Anwsered in this thread as well: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=240556
Old 03-26-2005, 12:54 PM   #204
voon

My Ride: E46 330ci Coupe
So, installed it myself. The HU is a small Radionavi Unit, made by Philips appearantly, in a 2001 Coupe. So far, it seems to halfway work. I can get music to play, select playlists etc. Open questions:

- Black little cable on icelink connector? Seems to be only for DSP systems?

- I always see "Ok to disconnect", although it plays music.

- I have another small connector right next to the one used for the icelink white small connector on the original Radioharness .. small and gray. I can't seem to get it out of the black connector plastic combo. I now lack Navi entries in the HU Menu, so I assume it's related to Navi.

- When iPod is connected, I can't use the Menu button anymore. Menu displays for the blink of an eye and is immediatly overlaid by CD Changer info from the icelink. It does work if Ipod is disconnected.

- I seem not to have to play a BMW Config file. It seems to have recogniyed my BMW Unit first time. or was that because I once occasionally actually played the BMW Config file on iPod way before I did the install?

- BMW CD text doesn't seem to work, no config happens. I can play all of them, but if I connect the iPod while the config plays, it nearly immediatly just continues playing the last music song. Will try to reset my iPod, maybe it is in a weird state (See always says "Ok to disconnect" above as well)
voon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 02:52 PM   #205
voon

Corrections to my post, now that I have been dealing with a little longer:

- The gray little connector was indeed related to navigation. As soon as I plugged it back into the radio, just next to the white icelink cable, I now have navigation menues back

- The gray connector can be removed, by removing a blue, U shaped clamp, that sits in the radioconnector. It can be pushed out sideway and reused on the icelink adapter plug. This will hold the old gray and the new white little connector securely in place. This (maybe only R17 connector, round pins, related) issue, I would like to see added to the nice guide at Dension USA.

- The menue does not behave odd anymore. Probably was related to the missing gray navi connector, or it is coincidence of something happening to icelink in between .. but I don't think so.

- The BMW CD Text files: The BWM_Text_to_nav.mp3 does nothing for the small Radionavi unit I have. I can now use the BMW_Text_to_radio.mp3 one, though. This will display CD Text, but not use the full display. Only 10 Characters show, including these Beta underlines instead of spaces, then it scrolls. The display can show much more, even multilines etc. A wish to Dension: Please give us a config for our small display.

- Somehow, icelink (or CD text, not sure) interferes with the onboard Telephone I have. Now that I get to see CD text, there is a title above the track names: "Kurzwahl". The german for "Direct dial" or something similar .. it is usually something showing, when you use the onboard phone. Also, the little display on the Telephone itelf shows grabled, odd characters.

Things I'd like to see in the Dension Guide:

- The blue clamp mentioned above
- How to remove the AC Front. This is helping and probably required by most installs
- BMW Text: Guide should mentiont he 'navigation' file seems only to be for the big navi, not the radionavi one
Old 03-26-2005, 03:56 PM   #206
voon

Another observation:

- The Radionavi only has a single arrow button to skip songs (>), no fast forward backward buttons (>>). The manual does mention this. We can fast forward, by holding down said button for a while. This allows me to also (slowly) select menue items. However, this seems not to work properly all the times. For instance, I can select "Disc 6" on the HU to access the manual playlist mode. I can then use our skip buttons to scroll up and down, slowly, there is a lot of delay. I can enter the playlsit browser, and the playlists show ... but there, I can't seem to do a lot. If I use the skip buttons to browse the plazlist, like I can in other menues to browse menu items, it will immediatly start playing the first playlist. I can not browse them, it will not move up and down through the playlists as it will for other menues.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:40 PM   #207
bimmerCi

My Ride: bmw
I reset my ipod and everything worked well for a few days. I only used the ipod mode, not dension mode. I was on my way to school this morning and in the middle of a song it just stops playing. I looked at my ipod and the song was still playing, but my speakers automatically switched to radio mode. When I tried to get back to the ipod mode it wasn't there.
bimmerCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:26 PM   #208
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerCi
I reset my ipod and everything worked well for a few days. I only used the ipod mode, not dension mode. I was on my way to school this morning and in the middle of a song it just stops playing. I looked at my ipod and the song was still playing, but my speakers automatically switched to radio mode. When I tried to get back to the ipod mode it wasn't there.
Please contact myself or our technical support by email/phone so that we can take down the needed information in order to assist in your problem.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:05 PM   #209
SanDiegoShaun

My Ride: 2005 330ci ZHP
Exclamation Sirius Problem

Hi All,

Ice Link problem with Sirius 65 12 0398 140 but not Sirius 84 11 0 153 165

Just trying to see if anyone may have the same set up or problems...

When listening to Sirius I hear a popping sound every few seconds. Was told that the voltage on the Ice Link could be up to much and causing bleed through to the Sirius. I checked and the voltage was at 2v, I lowered it all the way down to 0.5v and still have the same issue. It is in a 2005 330ci with Nav and the Ice link is connected with the trunk kit.

1. Dension sent out a new Ice Link, tested it and the popping is still there when listing to Sirius 65 12 0398 140.

2. Disconnected the Ice link and plugged in a CD changer to the Sirius 65 12 0398 140 input the popping is gone.

3. Installed an older Sirius unit 84 11 0 153 165 from a friend, the one with the two antenna outputs and plugged back in the Ice Link and the popping is gone.

4. Put my Sirius back in 65 12 0398 140 the newer one with the single antenna output and the popping is back.

5. 4/5/05 Exchanged the Sirius unit 65 12 0398 140 with another one from the dealer and the popping is still there.

Looks like IceLink is not working with the newer Sirius unit in an 05 with Nav'.

Does anyone else have an 05 with NAV, ICE LINK and Sirius 65 12 0398 140 ???
SanDiegoShaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 08:13 PM   #210
bimmerCi

tom i talked to you yesterday and now im getting very frustrated. i talked to the guy at tech support and he said to download the 2.06 version of the firmware. my problem was that although my ipod was recognizing that it was attached to my icelink, my car was not recognizing the ipod, or at least it wasnt going to the correct 'cd changer' mode that it uses to play. i downloaded the firmware and did everything they way it is instructed on your website. then i come to the bottom of the list where i have to connect my ipod to the icelink to continue the formatting. why, knowing that i would need to access the proper mode on my head unit would your tech support person suggest updating my firmware.

next i called again and talked to a different person in the tech support department, who told me to disconnect my battery. i did this and still nothing changes.

i have no idea what the problem is and aparently neither does tech support.

any ideas?
Old 04-05-2005, 08:29 PM   #211
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
tom i talked to you yesterday and now im getting very frustrated. i talked to the guy at tech support and he said to download the 2.06 version of the firmware. my problem was that although my ipod was recognizing that it was attached to my icelink, my car was not recognizing the ipod, or at least it wasnt going to the correct 'cd changer' mode that it uses to play. i downloaded the firmware and did everything they way it is instructed on your website. then i come to the bottom of the list where i have to connect my ipod to the icelink to continue the formatting. why, knowing that i would need to access the proper mode on my head unit would your tech support person suggest updating my firmware.

next i called again and talked to a different person in the tech support department, who told me to disconnect my battery. i did this and still nothing changes.

i have no idea what the problem is and aparently neither does tech support.

any ideas?
Plug the iPod into the Docking Cable/Active Cradle. When the warning disclaimer appears, there will be a small number on the upper right hand corner - I will need to know what number that is before we can go further.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:30 PM   #212
bimmerCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DensionUSA
Plug the iPod into the Docking Cable/Active Cradle. When the warning disclaimer appears, there will be a small number on the upper right hand corner - I will need to know what number that is before we can go further.
the number is 2.05. i told you that yesterday and you told me to pull the fuses. when that didnt work you told me do talk to tech support and they told me to get the firmware and disconnect my battery.

here is my problem...to actually format the firmware i need to do the final steps with the ipod connected with the icelink, but i am not able to get to the correct mode on my head unit to change anything on the ipod when it is connected.

to answer your question the number of the firmware on my ipod is 2.05.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:37 PM   #213
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
the number is 2.05. i told you that yesterday and you told me to pull the fuses. when that didnt work you told me do talk to tech support and they told me to get the firmware and disconnect my battery.

here is my problem...to actually format the firmware i need to do the final steps with the ipod connected with the icelink, but i am not able to get to the correct mode on my head unit to change anything on the ipod when it is connected.

to answer your question the number of the firmware on my ipod is 2.05.
Unfortunately, I cannot ID who every person is through their screen name - you have to be patient until all the information is collected.

Follow the instructions for a manual update: http://support.dension.com/support-c...2&root=8&id=55
Old 04-07-2005, 11:16 PM   #214
da_hammer

My Ride: 330CI
Well.......i got my icelink plus installed today. Trunkmount with the wire running foreward to the Proclip mount next to the radio. Icelink 2.06

Everything is working.......except......alternator sound/hissing. The sound is hissing/tapping with gas pedal at idle, and out of idle more of a whining sound.

From reading these pages it seems to me like people with trunk installs are having these issues and not with radio install. Is that a fair statement?????

I tried to change the voltage setting but i still get the hissing/whining.

This is what is strange. I had a Blitzsafe(adds AUX to your cd changer wire) adapter on the cd change cable before this and none of these problems. So to me it seems like an icelink issue.

I want this to work. Being able to charge unit, id text on the radio, playlist and steering button usage.

Oh well.....hopefully tom and crew will have a solution for me in the morning.
da_hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:40 AM   #215
Tricky

My Ride: 320d Sport 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoShaun

Hi All,

Ice Link problem with Sirius 65 12 0398 140 but not Sirius 84 11 0 153 165

Just trying to see if anyone may have the same set up or problems...

When listening to Sirius I hear a popping sound every few seconds. Was told that the voltage on the Ice Link could be up to much and causing bleed through to the Sirius. I checked and the voltage was at 2v, I lowered it all the way down to 0.5v and still have the same issue. It is in a 2005 330ci with Nav and the Ice link is connected with the trunk kit.

1. Dension sent out a new Ice Link, tested it and the popping is still there when listing to Sirius 65 12 0398 140.

2. Disconnected the Ice link and plugged in a CD changer to the Sirius 65 12 0398 140 input the popping is gone.

3. Installed an older Sirius unit 84 11 0 153 165 from a friend, the one with the two antenna outputs and plugged back in the Ice Link and the popping is gone.

4. Put my Sirius back in 65 12 0398 140 the newer one with the single antenna output and the popping is back.

5. 4/5/05 Exchanged the Sirius unit 65 12 0398 140 with another one from the dealer and the popping is still there.

Looks like IceLink is not working with the newer Sirius unit in an 05 with Nav'.

Does anyone else have an 05 with NAV, ICE LINK and Sirius 65 12 0398 140 ???
I think I have the same problem as you, normally hear the pops/clicks between tracks or in quiet spots of music.

I have a 2004 (November) 320d touring headunit install (IceLink+ v2.06, IPOD latest firmware, BMW Business CD, BMW Bluetooth)

I have had a replacement IceLink+ Module and still have the problems

As a test try turning the ignition OFF (not much use I know) and then see if the problem disappears mine does, if yours does also we may have the same issue.

This is even worse if I install the beta ID3 tags as every scroll creates a pop/click sound
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:23 AM   #216
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky
This is even worse if I install the beta ID3 tags as every scroll creates a pop/click sound
This is telling me there is a bad ground in the system or one of the pins are not firmly seated. Recheck the connections to make sure there is full contact.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:46 PM   #217
Tricky

Quote:
This is telling me there is a bad ground in the system or one of the pins are not firmly seated. Recheck the connections to make sure there is full contact.
I plan to reseat the ground tomorrow, do you have a recommendation to where I should connect it, currently I have it on the pin that centres the Head Unit in the chassis.

I don't have a correct sized (can someone tell me the size) hex key to remove a screw on the casing to fit it here.

Tom - Where would you install the ground?
Old 04-08-2005, 08:11 PM   #218
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky
I plan to reseat the ground tomorrow, do you have a recommendation to where I should connect it, currently I have it on the pin that centres the Head Unit in the chassis.

I don't have a correct sized (can someone tell me the size) hex key to remove a screw on the casing to fit it here.

Tom - Where would you install the ground?
That ground is not needed, we usually clip off that wire before shipping the wiring harness here in the states.

Recheck the pins to make sure nothing has unseated.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:20 AM   #219
Tricky

Quote:
That ground is not needed, we usually clip off that wire before shipping the wiring harness here in the states.

Recheck the pins to make sure nothing has unseated.
Hi, Tom - Done all you suggested - Reseated wires, removed flying ground lead and I still get the clicks/pops between tracks and during quiet spots.

This is only a problem when the ignition is turned on (no I don't get any engine noise) the engine doesn't need to be running to reproduce just ignition on. When ignition is not turned on, everything works like a dream - So I suspect it has something to do with a voltage wire that comes active when ignition is on.
It happens when the IPOD is not connected as well as when connected.
If the ICELink+ module is connected I also get the pops/clicks when using the normal CD (Business CD HU) player.
I believe it only clicks/pops when updating the display on the headunit (which is why the ID3 tags is a real problem).
Old 04-09-2005, 07:30 AM   #220
voon

Hm, i also get slight whirring and such, but it seems only, when the iPods Harddrive is spinning.