E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:58 PM   #221
Tricky

My Ride: 320d Sport 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky
Hi, Tom - Done all you suggested - Reseated wires, removed flying ground lead and I still get the clicks/pops between tracks and during quiet spots.

This is only a problem when the ignition is turned on (no I don't get any engine noise) the engine doesn't need to be running to reproduce just ignition on. When ignition is not turned on, everything works like a dream - So I suspect it has something to do with a voltage wire that comes active when ignition is on.
It happens when the IPOD is not connected as well as when connected.
If the ICELink+ module is connected I also get the pops/clicks when using the normal CD (Business CD HU) player.
I believe it only clicks/pops when updating the display on the headunit (which is why the ID3 tags is a real problem).
Does anyone know what each of the wires going to the IceLink+ Module perform? - As I said above, the pops/clicks between tracks and quiet spots (O and the ID3 scrolling text when installed) only occurs when the ignition is on - I.e. Powered not engine running so I was thinking that one of the cables might need a better shielding?

Tom - Can you help as I am getting NO SUPPORT from support@dension.com
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 04:27 PM   #222
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: BMW 540i
Quote:
Does anyone know what each of the wires going to the IceLink+ Module perform? - As I said above, the pops/clicks between tracks and quiet spots (O and the ID3 scrolling text when installed) only occurs when the ignition is on - I.e. Powered not engine running so I was thinking that one of the cables might need a better shielding?

Tom - Can you help as I am getting NO SUPPORT from support@dension.com
I would recheck the conenctions to see if any of the pics worked themselves out when connecting - it sounds like a bad connection or ground. Unfortunately, I have no control over Dension overseas - only here in the states.

Dension will not offer support for Id3v2 text as this is still in beta.

If you would send me your specific issue in the form of an email, I will forward it to our corporate offices so they may contact you directly.

Last edited by DensionUSA; 04-13-2005 at 04:34 PM.
DensionUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 06:08 PM   #223
jluzbet

My Ride: 2003-530I
Send a message via AIM to jluzbet Send a message via MSN to jluzbet Send a message via Yahoo to jluzbet
Tom,
Will the _(Underscore) be taken out in the next release, why cant it be just the space, that _ is annoying....
jluzbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 06:14 PM   #224
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluzbet
Tom,
Will the _(Underscore) be taken out in the next release, why cant it be just the space, that _ is annoying....
Underscores will be removed in the final version. Keep in mind, the ID3v2 text in the meantime is beta.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:54 PM   #225
darkmanlfe

My Ride: rocket propelled 323
Send a message via AIM to darkmanlfe
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_hammer
Well.......i got my icelink plus installed today. Trunkmount with the wire running foreward to the Proclip mount next to the radio. Icelink 2.06

Everything is working.......except......alternator sound/hissing. The sound is hissing/tapping with gas pedal at idle, and out of idle more of a whining sound.

From reading these pages it seems to me like people with trunk installs are having these issues and not with radio install. Is that a fair statement?????

I tried to change the voltage setting but i still get the hissing/whining.

This is what is strange. I had a Blitzsafe(adds AUX to your cd changer wire) adapter on the cd change cable before this and none of these problems. So to me it seems like an icelink issue.

I want this to work. Being able to charge unit, id text on the radio, playlist and steering button usage.

Oh well.....hopefully tom and crew will have a solution for me in the morning.
Ive confirm this on my setup.
I have IceLinkPlus with 2.06 firmware and trunk connection
The wires are wired as suggest on the pdf instruction.
There is a hissing sound from IceLink Plus.
Best way to test is put the headunit to CD mode without the IPOD connected. Drive around and you cannot miss the hissing sound. The hissing gets louder as soon as you press the pedal more.

Dension/Tom/Support you can be sure I will be calling you about this.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:34 AM   #226
da_hammer

My Ride: 330CI
Hey,

To update my problem. I did call Tom the next day and he knew right away what i needed to do. He email me a PDF file with the solution. The gound wire was in the wrong location in the wire harness.....one little switch.....all good. You should get the PDF from them to ensure correct proceedure is done.

My problem is solved. I got everything working incl. ID3 tags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmanlfe
Ive confirm this on my setup.
I have IceLinkPlus with 2.06 firmware and trunk connection
The wires are wired as suggest on the pdf instruction.
There is a hissing sound from IceLink Plus.
Best way to test is put the headunit to CD mode without the IPOD connected. Drive around and you cannot miss the hissing sound. The hissing gets louder as soon as you press the pedal more.

Dension/Tom/Support you can be sure I will be calling you about this.
da_hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:19 AM   #227
Tricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DensionUSA
I would recheck the conenctions to see if any of the pics worked themselves out when connecting - it sounds like a bad connection or ground. Unfortunately, I have no control over Dension overseas - only here in the states.

Dension will not offer support for Id3v2 text as this is still in beta.

If you would send me your specific issue in the form of an email, I will forward it to our corporate offices so they may contact you directly.
I will email you the full detail but in the meantime which pins, I had rechecked everything and ground is no longer connected to anything (assuming the ground was the flying black lead??)

As I stated before this is only an issue when the ignition is live
Old 04-14-2005, 09:32 PM   #228
darkmanlfe

Quote:
Hey,

To update my problem. I did call Tom the next day and he knew right away what i needed to do. He email me a PDF file with the solution. The gound wire was in the wrong location in the wire harness.....one little switch.....all good. You should get the PDF from them to ensure correct proceedure is done.

thanks. i didnt get chance to call them, swamp at work but if you can please do email the pdf file to mleviste@gmail.com thanks
Old 04-16-2005, 12:46 PM   #229
darkmanlfe

^^ it works Tom and Dension. The hissing is gone!!!!

Thank you for answering all my questions and finding a solution.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:22 PM   #230
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmanlfe
^^ it works Tom and Dension. The hissing is gone!!!!

Thank you for answering all my questions and finding a solution.
Glad to help!
Old 04-16-2005, 07:15 PM   #231
bimmerCi

My Ride: bmw
Quote:
Unfortunately, I cannot ID who every person is through their screen name - you have to be patient until all the information is collected.

Follow the instructions for a manual update: http://support.dension.com/support-c...2&root=8&id=55
EVERY SINGLE THING TECH SUPPORT HAS TOLD ME TO DO INCLUDING THE LINK IN YOUR LAST POST REQUIRES THAT I FINISH UPDATING THE FIRMWARE WITH MY IPOD CONNECTED TO MY CAR. THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE WHEN MY CAR DOES NOT GO TO THE PROPER 'CD CHANGER' MODE. I DO NOT SEE WHY THAT IS SO DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND.

ANY WAY I CAN GET MY $200 PLUS $40 (FOR INSTALL) BACK?
bimmerCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 08:57 PM   #232
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerCi
EVERY SINGLE THING TECH SUPPORT HAS TOLD ME TO DO INCLUDING THE LINK IN YOUR LAST POST REQUIRES THAT I FINISH UPDATING THE FIRMWARE WITH MY IPOD CONNECTED TO MY CAR. THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE WHEN MY CAR DOES NOT GO TO THE PROPER 'CD CHANGER' MODE. I DO NOT SEE WHY THAT IS SO DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND.

If your BMW is not detecting the ice>Link, this is exactly the reason why we are directing you to the link. If you would like, we can update the firmware for you.

Contact our tech support line on Monday morning at 562.595.5153 for a Returrn Authorization Number if you wish to return the kit. Unfortunately, we do not refund installation costs.

Last edited by DensionUSA; 04-16-2005 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:58 PM   #233
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:

Old 04-16-2005, 11:33 PM   #234
BlueLion

My Ride: 02 E46
Quote:
Hey,

I had the same problem with my 02 325Ci (Business CD). I had installed the BMW trunk kit that i bought from Best Buy with no problem. The real pain was running the wire harness to the center console, but that's another story. Anyways, after installing the kit, and powering on the icelink, it was all good, up until the engine was on. There was the annoying alternator whine. After investigating this, i discovered that the icelink wire harness had one of the ground pins in the wrong location which wasn't being connected to the pin on the cd changer harness. I moved the ground pin on the icelink harness to the correct location, and all is well. No hissing noise. Fortunately, i was knowledgable in electronics and i was able to debug this myself. But for those that aren't technically inclined, there should be a post on the dension web site with this fix. Not sure if others are in the same boat and the dension online knowledgebase wasn't helpful at all. Just my 2 cents.
BlueLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 05:31 PM   #235
bimmerCi

My Ride: bmw
Quote:
If your BMW is not detecting the ice>Link, this is exactly the reason why we are directing you to the link. If you would like, we can update the firmware for you.

Contact our tech support line on Monday morning at 562.595.5153 for a Returrn Authorization Number if you wish to return the kit. Unfortunately, we do not refund installation costs.
this is step 5 of the link that you posted: Power on the car radio and change source to ice>Link (CD changer).

MY CAR DOES NOT RECOGNIZE THE ICELINK OR GO TO THE "CD CHANGER MODE."

I, THEREFORE AM UNABLE TO COMPLETE THE REMAINING STEPS TO UPDATING THE FIRMWARE.

ALSO, EVEN IF MY FIRMWARE IS UPDATED WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH MY CAR NOT KNOWING THE ICELINK IS ATTACHED?
bimmerCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 01:18 AM   #236
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
this is step 5 of the link that you posted: Power on the car radio and change source to ice>Link (CD changer).

MY CAR DOES NOT RECOGNIZE THE ICELINK OR GO TO THE "CD CHANGER MODE."

I, THEREFORE AM UNABLE TO COMPLETE THE REMAINING STEPS TO UPDATING THE FIRMWARE.

ALSO, EVEN IF MY FIRMWARE IS UPDATED WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH MY CAR NOT KNOWING THE ICELINK IS ATTACHED?
As long as the ice>Link is powering up, it doesn't need to be recognized by the vehicle to perform the firmware update and/or configuration.

I highly advise you to call our technical support team tomorrow morning in order for us to offer assistance for your ice>Link Plus.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:02 AM   #237

My Ride: E46 Silver 325ci
Tom,

I just recived my Ice>link today from you guys and installed it. Everything seems to be working but I get that alternator whine when the enigne is on. (Trunk Kit)
Could you send me the PDF file that the previous post was referring to ?
email dk@ii.net

Cheers

P.S. I ordered the kit with a ipod-MINI cradle and I got sent a normal one. Can I get a swap ?

Last edited by 777; 04-18-2005 at 09:28 AM.
777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 01:34 PM   #238
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777
Tom,

I just recived my Ice>link today from you guys and installed it. Everything seems to be working but I get that alternator whine when the enigne is on. (Trunk Kit)
Could you send me the PDF file that the previous post was referring to ?
email dk@ii.net

Cheers

P.S. I ordered the kit with a ipod-MINI cradle and I got sent a normal one. Can I get a swap ?
email sent
Old 04-18-2005, 03:14 PM   #239
Tricky

There is a bit of talk about moving a ground pin, I was recommended to remove my ground lead all together (earlier in this thread) why would this have any effect?

Tom - Any joy re. the mail I sent you and Dension support (pops/clicks between tracks)
Old 04-18-2005, 03:22 PM   #240
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
There is a bit of talk about moving a ground pin, I was recommended to remove my ground lead all together (earlier in this thread) why would this have any effect?

Tom - Any joy re. the mail I sent you and Dension support (pops/clicks between tracks)
Not sure about the kits sold overseas - these are slightly different. I would recommend emailing support@dension.com for technical support on your exact setup.