E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:33 PM   #401
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by masud911
Correction I thought I knew how to use text. But I haven't updated my firmware through ice link website. Is there any limitations if I enable text?
No limitations - you actually gain functionability!
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 11:54 PM   #402
masud911

My Ride: White 00' 323i
I can enable text after I update the firmware correct? By the way I think Tom is one of the most knowlegible and helpful person on the forum Thanks.

sig courtesy of boynix
masud911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 12:00 AM   #403
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
I can enable text after I update the firmware correct? By the way I think Tom is one of the most knowlegible and helpful person on the forum Thanks.
Thanks!

Enabing test is now embedded into the firmware - the seperate files are no longer needed. If you feel you need a firmware update, send me the following information via email and I will reply with the correct update.

Year
Model
iPod Generation
Current ice>Link Firmware Version
Business CD or Navigation

Here are the procedures for determining your firmware version on your ice>Link Plus:

Turn the key to the on position and select your CD Changer. Once you are in this mode, plug in the iPod to the Active Cradle or Docking cable. During the warning screen, the firmware version can be spotted by looking at the number in the top right corner of the iPod.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:29 PM   #404
Tlocdawg

My Ride: 330i
AUX 3 problem

After playing about 12 to 15 songs my IceLink freaks out on me. The ID3 tag says "AUX 3" intead of showing the song info, I can't fast forward the song, it just keeps repeating the same song over and over, I can't access any of the icelink menu, when I remove it from the cradel it stays in the Dension UI mode and I can't do anything with it. The only way I can get back to normal is to reset the iPod. Has this happened to anyone else?
Tlocdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 03:32 PM   #405
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlocdawg
After playing about 12 to 15 songs my IceLink freaks out on me. The ID3 tag says "AUX 3" intead of showing the song info, I can't fast forward the song, it just keeps repeating the same song over and over, I can't access any of the icelink menu, when I remove it from the cradel it stays in the Dension UI mode and I can't do anything with it. The only way I can get back to normal is to reset the iPod. Has this happened to anyone else?
There is a communication error between the ice>Link and iPod.

Try removing fuses #7 & #41 from your glovebox fuse panel for a few minutes and reinsert. Also reboot the iPod.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:58 PM   #406
Paco II

My Ride: 2005 325i
This happens to me periodically. A reboot of the iPod gets things back in order. What type of iPod are you using?

Quote:
Paco II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:13 PM   #407
Tlocdawg

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco II
This happens to me periodically. A reboot of the iPod gets things back in order. What type of iPod are you using?

40GB photo
it does the same thing with a Nano and 60 GB video. It's a pain in the ass to have to reset the iPod while driving! plus navigating back to where I was is close to impossible with the Dension UI.
Tlocdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:23 PM   #408
Paco II

I am using a 30GB photo. Someone reported that it only seems to happen with some ipod flavors. Perhaps the newer ones are more susceptible than the older ones. Not sure.

It seems to only happen to me when I am trying to click forward a bunch of tracks. After it first happened I checked all my connections, which were all fine. Sometimes it even corrects itself. So far, I've been unable to nail down the exact cause.

Out of curiosity, how full are your ipods?

Quote:
40GB photo
it does the same thing with a Nano and 60 GB video. It's a pain in the ass to have to reset the iPod while driving! plus navigating back to where I was is close to impossible with the Dension UI.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:24 PM   #409
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
I am using a 30GB photo. Someone reported that it only seems to happen with some ipod flavors. Perhaps the newer ones are more susceptible than the older ones. Not sure.

It seems to only happen to me when I am trying to click forward a bunch of tracks. After it first happened I checked all my connections, which were all fine. Sometimes it even corrects itself. So far, I've been unable to nail down the exact cause.
Have you tried removing the fuses to reboot the system? Are there any other devices communicating with iBus (iWindows, StealthOne, etc)?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:30 PM   #410
Paco II

Disconnecting and rebooting the iPod quickly resolves the issue, at least until the next the time it happens. And not using any other iBus add-on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
Have you tried removing the fuses to reboot the system? Are there any other devices communicating with iBus (iWindows, StealthOne, etc)?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:32 PM   #411
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Disconnecting and rebooting the iPod quickly resolves the issue, at least until the next the time it happens. And not using any other iBus add-on.
I'm referring to removing the fuses as described in post #405. Have you tried that yet?
Old 10-24-2005, 05:23 PM   #412
Paco II

Sorry about that Tom, misunderstood you. Thought that you thought that the Icelink was locked up and required the fuses to be pulled to get things back in order, which it didn't.

But I am happy to pull those fuses and see what happens.

Quote:
I'm referring to removing the fuses as described in post #405. Have you tried that yet?
Old 10-24-2005, 05:29 PM   #413
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Sorry about that Tom, misunderstood you. Thought that you thought that the Icelink was locked up and required the fuses to be pulled to get things back in order, which it didn't.

But I am happy to pull those fuses and see what happens.
Let me know if this solves your problem!
Old 10-24-2005, 05:38 PM   #414
xmltok

My Ride: 2014 Carrera 4S
Send a message via AIM to xmltok
pulling fuses will fix the problem of when you hit track forward a bunch of times and it crashes the icelink?
xmltok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:47 PM   #415
masud911

My Ride: White 00' 323i
Hey Tom I figured out what version of icelink I have, it's 2.07. Should text automatically be enabled when I update it or are there a few steps?

sig courtesy of boynix
masud911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:49 PM   #416
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmltok
pulling fuses will fix the problem of when you hit track forward a bunch of times and it crashes the icelink?
No - pulling fuses reinitializes the system. Were the battery cables removed while the installation was performed? This is a HUGE cause of errors like what you describe.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:50 PM   #417
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Hey Tom I figured out what version of icelink I have, it's 2.07. Should text automatically be enabled when I update it or are there a few steps?
Submit the following information via email and I will reply with the firmware needed, this will have the text capabilities embedded in the firmware.

Year
Model
iPod Generation
Current ice>Link Firmware Version
Business CD or Navigation
Old 10-24-2005, 05:52 PM   #418
Paco II

In my case, yes. No work was ever done installing the Icelink without first disconnecting the battery cables.

Quote:
No - pulling fuses reinitializes the system. Were the battery cables removed while the installation was performed? This is a HUGE cause of errors like what you describe.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:57 PM   #419
xmltok

My Ride: 2014 Carrera 4S
Send a message via AIM to xmltok
I have no idea, should I disconnect my battery for ten minutes or something?
xmltok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:58 PM   #420
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmltok
I have no idea, should I disconnect my battery for ten minutes or something?
You can definitely try - here are BMWs procedures for resetting the system:

1) Remove battery cables, Negative first then positive.
2) Remove iPod from ice>Link Active Cradle or Docking Cable.
3) Touch Battery cables together for 5 seconds (away from battery).
4) Reinstall battery cables (Positive first, then Negative) and plug in iPod.