E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:31 PM   #41
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristena
Well, I tried the firmware update today and all of my problems still exist. Only thing is, I am not certain that this latest version, 2.02, applies to our problem. I read the bug fix history and it looks like only a VW problem was addressed with this release. Tom, can you clarify this?
v2.02 is what ice>Link firmware was originally installed on the ice>Link Plus - we have a new version coming shortly.
DensionUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 07:23 PM   #42
a2theb
Rollin' in the family wagon

My Ride: '03 325iT, '02 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to a2theb
Quote:
Originally Posted by DensionUSA
v2.02 is what ice>Link firmware was originally installed on the ice>Link Plus - we have a new version coming shortly.
Really? Mine came with 2.01. Update process is actually kinda smooth. Haven't noticed any difference as of yet, but I'm looking forward to the new update soon!

'03 325iT - Steel Grey : Stock, Coming soon - M3 bumper, DIY custom ICE install and too many to list...
For now DDEs, corner delete w/ LEDs, AFE, strut bar and tints..
a2theb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 07:33 PM   #43
jchristena

My Ride: 2004 E46 M3
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2theb
Really? Mine came with 2.01. Update process is actually kinda smooth. Haven't noticed any difference as of yet, but I'm looking forward to the new update soon!
Mine came w/ 2.01 also...
Old 12-22-2004, 07:36 PM   #44
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Mine came w/ 2.01 also...
No worries - v2.03 is completing testing soon.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:21 PM   #45
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
No worries - v2.03 is completing testing soon.
v2.03 has now been released!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...05#post2233805
Old 12-23-2004, 07:07 PM   #46
jmay87

My Ride: e36,e46,e90
im still having the same problem with my ice>link after upgrading to 2.03 if you change from cd changer mode to radio it wont go basck without pulling the fuses

jmay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 11:26 PM   #47
jchristena

It didn't work for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmay87
im still having the same problem with my ice>link after upgrading to 2.03 if you change from cd changer mode to radio it wont go basck without pulling the fuses
Here is a summary of my current problem,

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...22&postcount=6

but suffice it to say, my IceLink is now hosed in a firmware update loop.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:02 AM   #48
jchristena

Well

Quote:

after a few more hours of messing with it, I got 2.03 to install. I will let you guys know my results.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:14 AM   #49
a2theb
Rollin' in the family wagon

My Ride: '03 325iT, '02 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to a2theb
Quote:

2.03 upgraded here. So far no disconnects or problems. When I initially installed the firmware, I got stuck in the update loop as well. I eventually unplugged the 12pin connector from the module and let it sit a few minutes and was able to rerun the loop successfully. We'll see how this goes the next few days.

'03 325iT - Steel Grey : Stock, Coming soon - M3 bumper, DIY custom ICE install and too many to list...
For now DDEs, corner delete w/ LEDs, AFE, strut bar and tints..
a2theb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 11:30 AM   #50
jchristena

Congrats...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2theb
2.03 upgraded here. So far no disconnects or problems. When I initially installed the firmware, I got stuck in the update loop as well. I eventually unplugged the 12pin connector from the module and let it sit a few minutes and was able to rerun the loop successfully. We'll see how this goes the next few days.
Unfortunately, it didn't fix any of my problems
Old 12-28-2004, 10:38 AM   #51
wentworth3

My Ride: 2003 330Xi
2.03 & auto transmission issues?!

I posted about the issues I am having with the 2.03 icelink firmware @ http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...2&postcount=22

and noticed something else on the way to work today. Nothing happens when I move the shifter to sport mode and I cannot go into manual-automatic mode either. On the plus side, normal drive mode is working without a hitch. There are not any warning or service lights to indicate that there is a problem. Installing the icelink has been the only modification I have made to the car since I discovered my transmission issues.

I posted my car stats in the above link (2003 330xi auto, no bluetooth, etc... ) Also, I don't know if it helps, however, I bought the icelink radio-end install kit.

I will call Dension about this when I get the chance later today.
wentworth3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 11:32 AM   #52
Technic

My Ride: '12 M3 & '10 CC
I personally think that DensionUSA should seriously consider using the vast resources of the BMW forums in beta testing these ice>Link adapters. Just reading some of the problems of the users in this forum make me think that their beta test procedures are extremely limited in scope, i.e., they are using a very small pool of vehicles. Therefore, a slight difference in vehicle configuration from the main test vehicle will render the ice>Link very unstable in the best case, completely inoperable in the worst case.

I do understand the legal ramifications that this involment with owners will involve, however I also do think that they can be dealt very reasonably without complications. But the increase of adapter testing, quality control and in depth product knowledge will be huge for the company and ultimately of outstanding quality and value for the customers.
Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 11:57 AM   #53
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
I personally think that DensionUSA should seriously consider using the vast resources of the BMW forums in beta testing these ice>Link adapters. Just reading some of the problems of the users in this forum make me think that their beta test procedures are extremely limited in scope, i.e., they are using a very small pool of vehicles. Therefore, a slight difference in vehicle configuration from the main test vehicle will render the ice>Link very unstable in the best case, completely inoperable in the worst case.

I do understand the legal ramifications that this involment with owners will involve, however I also do think that they can be dealt very reasonably without complications. But the increase of adapter testing, quality control and in depth product knowledge will be huge for the company and ultimately of outstanding quality and value for the customers.
We do take advantage of testing before a product is released. We have 4 bench units here that have been playing non-stop for weeks as well as my personal 540i that has been testing the ice>Link Plus and ID3v2 compatibility without a hitch for over a month before the Plus was released.

We also are very close to our local BMW dealers - who have supplied vehicles in the past for testing as well.

Unfortunately, sometimes bugs do happen. And we have our engineers working non-stop until a fix is completed.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:58 AM   #54
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wentworth3
I posted about the issues I am having with the 2.03 icelink firmware @ http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...2&postcount=22

and noticed something else on the way to work today. Nothing happens when I move the shifter to sport mode and I cannot go into manual-automatic mode either. On the plus side, normal drive mode is working without a hitch. There are not any warning or service lights to indicate that there is a problem. Installing the icelink has been the only modification I have made to the car since I discovered my transmission issues.

I posted my car stats in the above link (2003 330xi auto, no bluetooth, etc... ) Also, I don't know if it helps, however, I bought the icelink radio-end install kit.

I will call Dension about this when I get the chance later today.
Very well detailed report - looking forward to your call this afternoon.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:10 PM   #55
Technic

My Ride: '12 M3 & '10 CC
Quote:
We do take advantage of testing before a product is released. We have 4 bench units here that have been playing non-stop for weeks as well as my personal 540i that has been testing the ice>Link Plus and ID3v2 compatibility without a hitch for over a month before the Plus was released.

We also are very close to our local BMW dealers - who have supplied vehicles in the past for testing as well.

Unfortunately, sometimes bugs do happen. And we have our engineers working non-stop until a fix is completed.
That is my point, Tom... 4 bench units and a 540 against, for example, in this forum alone hundreds of 1999-2005 E46's in all possible configurations for testing in real time by real owners. I do not think that a dealer will allow you to test one of their vehicles for a month, driving around different types of roads, operating different vehicles subsystems at the same time the ice>Link is functioning, in all kinds of weather for hours non-stop. And more importantly, using a pool of capable testers that in most cases are people involved in electronics and software development that can describe to you exactly where and how the fault occurred.

This could be free for your company and legally nonbinding if you really want it to...

It is just my opinion... I could be wrong. -Dennis Miller
Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 12:13 PM   #56
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
That is my point, Tom... 4 bench units and a 540 against, for example, in this forum alone hundreds of 1999-2005 E46's in all possible configurations for testing in real time by real owners. I do not think that a dealer will allow you to test one of their vehicles for a month, driving around different types of roads, operating different vehicles subsystems at the same time the ice>Link is functioning, in all kinds of weather for hours non-stop. And more importantly, using a pool of capable testers that in most cases are people involved in electronics and software development that can describe to you exactly where and how the fault occurred.

This could be free for your company and legally nonbinding if you really want it to...

It is just my opinion... I could be wrong. -Dennis Miller
I think we both make really good points on this subject - we are on the same wavelength. If you are interested in participating in our Beta program, feel free to contact me offline and I'll get you set up.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:51 PM   #57
ex10psi

My Ride: E46
Tom,

Currently my icelink unit seems to be completely DEAD. No matter what I do I cannot get my business radio to recognize it at all. I did receive a quick email from Chase today telling me to "disconnect the 12 pin connector" even though I had clearly told you that my icelink unit is completely unresponsive to whatever I do (unplug the 12pin, pull radio fuses out, etc, etc, etc.... still NOTHING!).

If a replacement unit needs to be sent, can we get the ball rolling quickly? I've been dead in the water for almost 3 weeks now. I've had the icelink for maybe 4 weeks at most: 1st week it kept getting dropped so I did the disconnect 12pin plug workaround for a few days. Then the 2nd week up until now 4th week and counting, it's just DEAD. Completely and utterly unresponsive to anything that I do ie: pulling fuses, pulling 12pin connector, etc... NOTHING.

And when it was working (well, sorta working) the sound quality was awful with a lot of background static, hissing noises, and the icelink seemed to have caused my turn signal lights to blink very erratically until I pulled the radio fuses, then it would blink normal again.

Honestly, I dunno about the rest of the members here but when I paid $200+ bux on this thing I expected it to work... And if it doesn't work, then I feel as though I deserve a refund... there must be some sort of warranty???????

Here's where I stand: I would like to send you back my icelink product and ask for a full refund. No hard feelings, you've been very helpful thus far but I do not have the time nor energy to keep troubleshooting this thing and you know how it goes... once you fix one bug, never know what other bugs were lurking behind that one. So I wish I did have the time and energy to keep at it but I don't... so please confirm that I will receive a full refund upon return of the icelink product and I will get it packed up and shipped to you right away.

Thank you for your understanding,

Elson
elsonchoo@hotmail.com
ex10psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 12:56 PM   #58
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex10psi
Tom,

Currently my icelink unit seems to be completely DEAD. No matter what I do I cannot get my business radio to recognize it at all. I did receive a quick email from Chase today telling me to "disconnect the 12 pin connector" even though I had clearly told you that my icelink unit is completely unresponsive to whatever I do (unplug the 12pin, pull radio fuses out, etc, etc, etc.... still NOTHING!).

If a replacement unit needs to be sent, can we get the ball rolling quickly? I've been dead in the water for almost 3 weeks now. I've had the icelink for maybe 4 weeks at most: 1st week it kept getting dropped so I did the disconnect 12pin plug workaround for a few days. Then the 2nd week up until now 4th week and counting, it's just DEAD. Completely and utterly unresponsive to anything that I do ie: pulling fuses, pulling 12pin connector, etc... NOTHING.

And when it was working (well, sorta working) the sound quality was awful with a lot of background static, hissing noises, and the icelink seemed to have caused my turn signal lights to blink very erratically until I pulled the radio fuses, then it would blink normal again.

Honestly, I dunno about the rest of the members here but when I paid $200+ bux on this thing I expected it to work... And if it doesn't work, then I feel as though I deserve a refund... there must be some sort of warranty???????

Here's where I stand: I would like to send you back my icelink product and ask for a full refund. No hard feelings, you've been very helpful thus far but I do not have the time nor energy to keep troubleshooting this thing and you know how it goes... once you fix one bug, never know what other bugs were lurking behind that one. So I wish I did have the time and energy to keep at it but I don't... so please confirm that I will receive a full refund upon return of the icelink product and I will get it packed up and shipped to you right away.

Thank you for your understanding,

Elson
elsonchoo@hotmail.com
Elson,

I've talked to Chase and have asked him to contact you directly. Expect a call shortly.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:14 PM   #59
ex10psi

My Ride: E46
I look forward to Chase's contact. I will then arrange with him to ship back the icelink so that I may receive my full refund without much hassle.

Thank you

Elson
elsonchoo@hotmail.com

Quote:
Elson,

I've talked to Chase and have asked him to contact you directly. Expect a call shortly.
ex10psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 06:36 PM   #60
tingbro1

My Ride: 2002 330i
Hi Tom,

First I'd like to thank you for your responsiveness to the problems posted on this forum. I sent back my Icelink plus unit for my '02 330i two weeks ago because of engine/alternator whine when the trunk mount kit is plugged in. Chase was unable to reproduce the problem on the bench or in the car. When I received the unit back this past week, it had been upgraded to v.2.03. However, the engine/alternator whine is still there. Chase essentially told me there's seems to be nothing that can be done at this point since he can't reproduce the problem and that a cause could be b/c of the different connections for different model years. Here's the info on my '02:

2002 330i
Upgraded to 2003 radio (alpine)
BMW Sirius tuner
BMW auxilary adapter
Trunk mount Icelink plus kit

Chase recommended I go with a radio mount kit, but that means losing the Sirius unit which I will not part with. I don't think the engine noise problem is specific to my vehicle since I've seen other postings from other members. I have zero alternator noise on any other source (e.g. aux, cd, radio, sirius). I will try disconnecting the aux input plug to see if the problem goes away. If this doesn't work is there anything else that can be done at this point?

Thanks
tingbro1 is offline   Reply With Quote