E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:41 PM   #161
Adanali

My Ride: 2002 330ci 5spd mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by DensionUSA
Some whine from the iPod's HDD is normal, but is it barely audible. - mostly only at high volume in between tracks. Is the whine you are hearing or is it varying with the accelerator?
When I rev the engine the noise changes with it, so it is the alternator. There is other noise also, almost like a mains hum, which you can hear even when the engine is not running. I also mentioned the noise when you interact with the head unit, pressing keys causes noise to be heard.

Quote:

This is telling me the battery was not disconnected during the installation. Reset the iPod using the Select and Play/Pause buttons.
I did disconnect the battery. This problem went away with the latest iPod firmware.

Quote:

Probably not, the iPod was not intended to be left in the trunk for a multitude of reasons. Spend the extra 20 minutes on the installation and bring the iPod into the cabin area - it's worth the extra effort.
Well if I wanted the iPod at the front I'd have used the head unit installation kit. I do not want iPod to be visible.

Quote:
The iPod mounted in the trunk of your BMW is not advisable for a few reasons:

Heat – The iPod is very sensitive to heat. If left in the trunk on a sunny day, the trunk’s temperatures can reach over 150 degrees. The iPod’s battery and video display are very delicate, extreme heat can turn the iPod into an expensive paperweight in just one afternoon.

Navigation – While ID3v2 text is available, it will only show artist and song title on the screen. The iPod is still needed in order to verify the menu selections you are scrolling through when in use.

Damage – The iPod can easily be damaged in the trunk if there are loose items in motion - if the iPod is stuck under extreme cornering or otherwise, it can render the iPod useless.
iPod is secured in the compartment where the Navigation system would normally sit, it is padded with buble wrap and it aint moving a millimeter. If iPod is going to suffer from heat, it will be no different than the heat the CD changer is exposed to.

Quote:
This is more than likely a cause of a faulty initialization buring the install process. If the iPod resetting does not cure the problem - remove the battery cables (Both cables) and touch the cables together to discharge the power from the system and reinstall.
I'll try resetting the iPod.

Quote:

We can already display ID3v2 text on the Business head unit - we are only intending to show Artist/Song title at this time. There are some more features we are planning to add in later firmware versions - let's focus on getting your ice>Link in 100% working condition beforehand before more features are added.
I'll not be able to use the Icelink as it is becuase I cannot tell where in the menu I am. If the keys were not a problem I could manage, but unfortunately I do not have separate keys for the Icelink menu navigation.

Anyway if the alternator/engine noise problem is not solved I am not going to be able to use Icelink. Right now that is the main problem.
Adanali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 04:43 PM   #162
Adanali

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingbro1
Actually, I can't hear the engine/alternator whine at all anymore, even during breaks in music. I didn't notice the problem you had with noise when the keys are pressed. I was as pissed as you were, but now, all is well. I hope you succeed in splicing into the Icelink wires.
Hey tingbro, which kit did you use? the trunk kit or the head unit kit?
Old 02-20-2005, 09:27 PM   #163
tingbro1

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adanali
Hey tingbro, which kit did you use? the trunk kit or the head unit kit?
I have the trunk kit. Would've gone with radio kit but it's not compatiable with BMW the Sirius tuner.
tingbro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 03:54 PM   #164
SanDiegoShaun

My Ride: 2005 330ci ZHP
I have a 2005 330ci with Factory Nav - Factory Sirius - Navtv

I thinking about adding Dension. The question is what configuration do I get. Can you get the Head unit or do you have to use the Trunk version.
I am guessing that I would need option 2. Any help or compatibility issues with having all working together?

Option 1
Radio-end connectivity kit for BMW 3-series E46 with 16:9 screen navigation only, BMW 5-series 2001-2003 only for post "Angel Eyes" 2001MY headlamp facelift (not for DSP radios), BMW X5 2000-2004 (not for DSP radios), BMW Z4 2003-2004 (not for DSP radios), Mini Cooper 2002-2004. This is a radio-end harness that requires removing the radio to make the connection [R40].

Option 2
BMW Satellite radio module connectivity kit for vehicles with factory installed XM/Sirius module located in the trunk. (+$30.00)

I am also interested in seeing any pictures of installations in the arm rest or under the arm rest or where the cup holders are, etc.

Thanks!
SanDiegoShaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 05:54 PM   #165
tingbro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoShaun
I have a 2005 330ci with Factory Nav - Factory Sirius - Navtv

I thinking about adding Dension. The question is what configuration do I get. Can you get the Head unit or do you have to use the Trunk version.
I am guessing that I would need option 2. Any help or compatibility issues with having all working together?

Option 1
Radio-end connectivity kit for BMW 3-series E46 with 16:9 screen navigation only, BMW 5-series 2001-2003 only for post "Angel Eyes" 2001MY headlamp facelift (not for DSP radios), BMW X5 2000-2004 (not for DSP radios), BMW Z4 2003-2004 (not for DSP radios), Mini Cooper 2002-2004. This is a radio-end harness that requires removing the radio to make the connection [R40].

Option 2
BMW Satellite radio module connectivity kit for vehicles with factory installed XM/Sirius module located in the trunk. (+$30.00)

I am also interested in seeing any pictures of installations in the arm rest or under the arm rest or where the cup holders are, etc.

Thanks!
I was told only the trunk kit is compatible with Nav and OEM sirius. Here's my install.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...hlight=icelink
Old 02-21-2005, 06:04 PM   #166
SpeedinBlueBimmer

My Ride: 05 Z4 3.0i(For Sale)
Send a message via AIM to SpeedinBlueBimmer
The text_to_radio file on Dension's website doesnt download, it downloads as text_to_obc... is this right? Im going to go try to install it on my Ice Link now if it doesnt work does anyone have the right file? If so can you email it to speedinbluebimaATearthlinkDOTnet ? Thanks, Ben
SpeedinBlueBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:55 PM   #167
SanDiegoShaun

My Ride: 2005 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tingbro1
I was told only the trunk kit is compatible with Nav and OEM sirius. Here's my install.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...hlight=icelink
Nice install! Where did you grab the power for the Cell Adapter?

More pics of installs everyone! Please
SanDiegoShaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 08:34 PM   #168
SpeedinBlueBimmer

My install looks exactly the same haha, except my interior is black and I have the OEM accessory navigation
Old 02-21-2005, 09:54 PM   #169
tingbro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoShaun
Nice install! Where did you grab the power for the Cell Adapter?

More pics of installs everyone! Please
Thanks,

I bought an cigarette adapter at radio shack and tapped into the power/ground leads for the lights in the rear console tray. The adapter is hidden underneath the coinholder.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:47 PM   #170
Adanali

installing noise suppressor

Tom, I bought a 10 amp filter from Radioshack. I do not want to touch the original wiring on the car, so I want to insert the filter between after the converter box (where the trunk CD changer connector plugs in) and the icelink adapter. What color are the +/- 12V wires on that cable?

I am also wondering about the humming noise I hear between tracks. Since the iPod HDD only operates momentarily when it is caching the song(s) in its 25MB buffer, I was thinking may be there is another cause for this noise. Can it be related to the audio level selection? I selected the 0.5V setting since the higher values seems to overdrive (I compare it to the sound level I get from single CD player, 0.5V seems to be the closests I can get). Since I cannot see the iPod screen it is difficult for me to change settings. But I can try it if you think it may make a difference.

BTW the issue with the CD 5 selection is also gone. Looks like updating the iPod firmware solved that also (may be because updating the firmware also resets the iPod?).
Old 02-22-2005, 10:09 AM   #171
rbcopod

My Ride: Silver 2001 325i
Whir/hum at high volumes

Tom,
I too have notice that at high volumes, during a quite portion on a track (or even with the iPOD paused) I hear a whirring sound. It goes away completlely if I turn off the engine or if I rev the engine above 1000 rpm. I suspect that it is alternator noise. I am running Ice link plus with 2.05 and have the radio head unit installed (not the trunk cable installtion) in a 2001 325i.

If I buy the 10 amp fuse from radio shack, where do I tell the installation guys to splice it? Or is this not a solveable problem?

Randy
rbcopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:21 PM   #172
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbcopod
Tom,
I too have notice that at high volumes, during a quite portion on a track (or even with the iPOD paused) I hear a whirring sound. It goes away completlely if I turn off the engine or if I rev the engine above 1000 rpm. I suspect that it is alternator noise. I am running Ice link plus with 2.05 and have the radio head unit installed (not the trunk cable installtion) in a 2001 325i.

If I buy the 10 amp fuse from radio shack, where do I tell the installation guys to splice it? Or is this not a solveable problem?

Randy
Randy,

Give our technical support team a call @ 562.595.5153 x112 for detailed instructions on your noise filter - they will be able to anwser any questions you may have.
DensionUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:21 PM   #173
zameus

My Ride: 2000 328i
Unhappy Order Response

What has been the experience with Dension responding to orders? I ordered from their website last Friday and still haven't received email order confirmation. I paid extra for quicker shipping and now I'm wondering if I would have got more out of burning the extra $10 for heat.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:11 PM   #174
zameus

My Ride: 2000 328i
Exclamation Dension, Nice Way of doing Business

After waiting almost a week to hear back from them I call today. Apparently they had my email adress down wrong. Ok, that's fine. However, now I find out they won't be shipping for another 5-9 business days (whener they get the shipment in I'm told). Tom, I had emailed you prior to placing my order to make sure they were in stock and you told me they were. When I never got confirmation for my order I emailed you for help and you ignored me. Now I know why.

So in light of this I asked the Dension person for the extra money I paid for quicker shipping to be refunded. I'm told that he'll have to ask his supervisor. I say, "ok, that's fine, I'll hold". Then I'm told that the supervisor is on the phone and it will be a while. I say "why is it a problem, you haven't shipped anything yet, why not just change my shipping to regular and refund me the extra". I am then told that they can either "keep it the way it is or cancel my order".

Well, at that point I decided maybe this isn't the best company for me to be dealing with and canceled my order. It's a shame, it appears to be a cool product with some minor technical problems I was willing to work through. But there's no way in hell I'm going to be an early adopter for a company that is rude to their customers and completely unresponsive.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:55 PM   #175
SpeedinBlueBimmer

It took mine 3 days from the time of order to the time I got it. I live in CA though and thats where it ships from. It'll obviously take longer to Boston though, unless they also ship from the east coast. Its a great product though, so even if it takes a few days its worth the wait.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:05 PM   #176
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zameus
Well, at that point I decided maybe this isn't the best company for me to be dealing with and canceled my order. It's a shame, it appears to be a cool product with some minor technical problems I was willing to work through. But there's no way in hell I'm going to be an early adopter for a company that is rude to their customers and completely unresponsive.
I'm sorry about your recent experience - I would make sure anyone I dealt with was 100% completely satisfied before hanging up the phone. If you should decide to order again, please feel free to contact me directly.

Last edited by DensionUSA; 02-24-2005 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:17 PM   #177
Adanali

Quote:
Originally Posted by zameus
... It's a shame, it appears to be a cool product with some minor technical problems I was willing to work through.
well I do not mean to be nagative about this product, I'd really love to be able to use it, but problems were not minor for me. I am getting noise and when I phoned and asked for help (after my questions on this forum was ignored), I was told I'd get a call. I did not. I just do not have time to spend on this. So I decided to send my Icelink back. I hope they incorporate a noise supressor into the kit. If they solve the noise problems I might order again later, but right now my Icelink is going back to Dension.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:25 PM   #178
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adanali
well I do not mean to be nagative about this product, I'd really love to be able to use it, but problems were not minor for me. I am getting noise and when I phoned and asked for help (after my questions on this forum was ignored), I was told I'd get a call. I did not. I just do not have time to spend on this. So I decided to send my Icelink back. I hope they incorporate a noise supressor into the kit. If they solve the noise problems I might order again later, but right now my Icelink is going back to Dension.
Keep in mind we cannot seach through the forums looking for technical questions, the forum is not our personal technical support database. But we do offer help and anwser questions on the kit if needed, search through the forums and you will find proof of this.

Our technical support number is 562.595.5153 x112 or my direct extension is x115 if you should require personal one-on-one techinal assistance.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:16 PM   #179
DiceyOne
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 1999 328i
Send a message via AIM to DiceyOne
am having all kinds of hell with this installation. i've been trying for days and i can't get it to work. here is my situation: I have a 99 328i with HK, the HU is a BMW Business CD from a 2002 330xi, my ipod is an M9787LL/A (U2 edition) and it has firmware 3.0.2 and the icelink is v2.02. i installed the icelink(radio end), disconnected the batt many times, tried connecting the white piece every way possible to the back of the HU, and the ipod doesn't power up at all. the HU will still play cds. but i cannot get it into cd changer mode UNLESS i hook a soundgate that i have for an Alpine cd changer up to the trunk connection, then my HU will actually see and go into changer mode but when i do that the ipod still isn't seen and will only play through the spks if i undock it, start a song and then dock it in but it is not in icelink mode when i do that. however when i do it that way i get this popping and crackling noise like i am listening to an old record player. the static pop is random but can be triggered by pressing buttons on the HU. i also get it in normal cd mode when i have it set up like that. did i just get a lemon? please help i am sooooo pissed off and i'm forced to drive my truck around since my car is torn apart inside. i am starting to really hate this thing.

also did anyone else get one that has wires already spliced and reconnected? was i sent a referbished one? wtf
DiceyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 03:19 PM   #180
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiceyOne
am having all kinds of hell with this installation. i've been trying for days and i can't get it to work. here is my situation: I have a 99 328i with HK, the HU is a BMW Business CD from a 2002 330xi, my ipod is an M9787LL/A (U2 edition) and it has firmware 3.0.2 and the icelink is v2.02. i installed the icelink(radio end), disconnected the batt many times, tried connecting the white piece every way possible to the back of the HU, and the ipod doesn't power up at all. the HU will still play cds. but i cannot get it into cd changer mode UNLESS i hook a soundgate that i have for an Alpine cd changer up to the trunk connection, then my HU will actually see and go into changer mode but when i do that the ipod still isn't seen and will only play through the spks if i undock it, start a song and then dock it in but it is not in icelink mode when i do that. however when i do it that way i get this popping and crackling noise like i am listening to an old record player. the static pop is random but can be triggered by pressing buttons on the HU. i also get it in normal cd mode when i have it set up like that. did i just get a lemon? please help i am sooooo pissed off and i'm forced to drive my truck around since my car is torn apart inside. i am starting to really hate this thing.

also did anyone else get one that has wires already spliced and reconnected? was i sent a referbished one? wtf
Please contact technical support at x112 or send an email to me directly and we can start the techincal support immediately.