E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports – this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2004, 09:28 PM   #1
danielm

My Ride: '05 ///M3
How reliable is an M3? on the track.

I am considering an M3 as my next car and wanted to know how reliable are they? Will it hold up well to the occasional trip to the track (willow, thunder hill, Laguna, etc..) will it hold up to the abuse of the track? Anything I should know about.

Thanks a lot.
danielm is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:38 PM   #2
MrMotorwerk
Der Meisterstück

My Ride: '02 330Ci
A street car like any racecar is only as reliable as you are willing to keep up with its maintence. Any properly maintained BMW will be able to withstand the occational trip to the racetrack.

If your car doesn't pass the tech inspection, it's most likely they won't even let you on the track.
MrMotorwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:18 PM   #3
M3Butcher

My Ride: 2003 M3 Coupe 6spd
I like it

I have an '03 M3 and have had it out on several track days. It is very solid, but if you are a heavy braker, you will run through pads. The car has all kinds of power and can be balanced with the throttle super easy. Mine went KaBoom at 17k miles due to the rod bearing design flaw, replaced for $0. I am going to Laguna Sega tomorrow with Track-Masters... will post notes here with lap times! I did opt up for the Ground Control suspension last month, feels better for sure, will report more if you are interested. I run the stock 18s with Yoko AVS Sport 245/275.

In short, I really like the car, perfect for the track day and the mountain twisties. You might want Brembos if you will spend a lot of time on the track. Get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielm
I am considering an M3 as my next car and wanted to know how reliable are they? Will it hold up well to the occasional trip to the track (willow, thunder hill, Laguna, etc..) will it hold up to the abuse of the track? Anything I should know about.

Thanks a lot.
M3Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 01:13 AM   #4
Commander FAT
Network Analyst

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMotorwerk

If your car doesn't pass the tech inspection, it's most likely they won't even let you on the track.
If you fail tech you won't be on the track. That's the point of tech.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:02 PM   #5
bobm3
Senior Eurowerkz Member

My Ride: 2003m3smg
you have to break in your engine again

like when you first got the car. don't get on the car untill you put on her 1,250 miles. or you will blow a rod again was told this by my mech after i got my rod bearing replace to.
bobm3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Butcher
I have an '03 M3 and have had it out on several track days. It is very solid, but if you are a heavy braker, you will run through pads. The car has all kinds of power and can be balanced with the throttle super easy. Mine went KaBoom at 17k miles due to the rod bearing design flaw, replaced for $0. I am going to Laguna Sega tomorrow with Track-Masters... will post notes here with lap times! I did opt up for the Ground Control suspension last month, feels better for sure, will report more if you are interested. I run the stock 18s with Yoko AVS Sport 245/275.

In short, I really like the car, perfect for the track day and the mountain twisties. You might want Brembos if you will spend a lot of time on the track. Get one.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:05 PM   #6
danielm

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Butcher

Thanks a lot. Exactly what I was looking for. So the rod problem still exists even in the newer models? I though that was fixed after the 02'. What about the transmission? Any problems there? Thanks a lot again!!
Old 12-15-2004, 01:09 PM   #7
bobm3
Senior Eurowerkz Member

My Ride: 2003m3smg
like i said wait untill car is broken in right

and the only thing you should do or get is the brakes. with the stock brakes after 2 or 3 lapes brakes start to fade.... you can get a up grade brake pads
or go for a baller bbk either way these up grades is all you would need unless
you want to have better handerling. and for that i say get after market sway bars barbarian i have they really make a difference. then a after market cross brace front and back. and if you really want a big difference in handerling but is a little pricey go for coilovers and get them corner balance that reall makes a big difference on a road cource i feel. or get all of above like i have and car
will act if they are on rails............
bobm3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielm

Thanks a lot.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:31 PM   #8
flacoy2k

My Ride: 2002 M3
I have done a couple of track days on my and tons of autocross with no problems. My is a 2002 so I had the rod baerings recall done. 2004 and 2005 should not have that problem. 2001-2003 will have their engine warranty expanded to 6 years/100,000 miles. You can't beat that.
flacoy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 01:31 PM   #9
glenspeed

My Ride: '02 E46 M3
the connecting rod and bearing problem in the M3 affected all M3's even after '02. They had 2 recalls, first one up to early '02, second one covered all M3's I believe. (at least up to '03 for sure since my friend had his done too)

other than the recalls, the M3 holds up amazingly well at the track. Not really any different than other 3 series. You might go through a set of pads and disks alot faster, but no other problems/issues than that. It's a good track car, even stock out of the box. (but so are most 3 series)
There are lots of track upgrades available, although alot more expensive than 3 series for the track if you want a bit more.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:31 AM   #10
danielm

Thanks a lot guys. Really helpfull posts
Old 01-02-2005, 06:24 PM   #11
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Just get the damn car...if it turns out you don't like it, I'll trade you straight up

Hahah JP. M3's were designed by BMW"s Motorsport division, they are true bread race cars. I wouldn't worry at all, as long as you follow proper maintenence and break in procedures
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:06 PM   #12
danielm

HAHHA thanks again. I will be picking up my M3 black on black at 3pm today, can't wait