E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-21-2004, 01:42 AM   #1
EDawg

My Ride: :/
do shocks make noises when they are going bad??

if so, what kind of noise do they make?? i'm beginning to notice a faint thud occassionally when i go over bumps from my rear passenger side and was wondering if it is the shocks that are going bad.
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:29 AM   #2
mcabr
Just Marinatin'

My Ride: Chikatetsu
yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDawg
if so, what kind of noise do they make?? i'm beginning to notice a faint thud occassionally when i go over bumps from my rear passenger side and was wondering if it is the shocks that are going bad.
I dont know about the rears but the fronts definitely make noise when they go bad. Its just like the will all of a sudden go bad too. They make like a clickety click clickety click thud thud noise if that makes any sense. I would think though that the rears might do the same because of that little washer that is back there would probably smack against the RSM.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:23 AM   #3
klangford
I got nothin'

My Ride: 07 Maserati QP
Send a message via AIM to klangford
Quote:

Some noise perhaps but the tell-tale sign of blown/busted shocks is fluid running down the side of the shock itself.
2000 328i - Daughter's first BMW
2007 Maserati Quattroporte - my current ride
klangford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 11:11 PM   #4
dilettante

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by klangford
Some noise perhaps but the tell-tale sign of blown/busted shocks is fluid running down the side of the shock itself.
Don't forget tire cupping.

Cheers.
dilettante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 11:22 PM   #5
cgrizzly888

My Ride: 00 328i
Send a message via AIM to cgrizzly888
The noise from the rear could be worn rear shock mounts. You should also check your rear subframe for tears.
cgrizzly888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:31 AM   #6
EDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante
Don't forget tire cupping.

Cheers.

what's tire cupping??
Old 12-23-2004, 03:33 AM   #7
EDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrizzly888
The noise from the rear could be worn rear shock mounts. You should also check your rear subframe for tears.
i had my shock mounts replaced a few months back. unless they didn't do a good job reassembling the shock mounts, then that's probably not it. also, i plan on jacking up my car and check the subframe as soon as i have time to buy some jack stands.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:53 PM   #8
dilettante

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Quote:
what's tire cupping??
This is how it was explained to me many years ago - this happened to my Pathfinder. When the shock is old and worn, it can't hold the wheel against the pavement properly, and the tires wear in a unique pattern. It looks like many concave areas around the circumference of the tire, like many little "cups." It takes a while to see, and since every Fanatic here goes out and inspects their car at least twice a day - checks oil, measures tire wear, checks coolant, glues door seals back, wipes off brake dust, changes plugs - I doubt you would ever see it!

Cheers.
dilettante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:21 PM   #9
asilva

My Ride: 05' X3 3.0
my car is starting to make noises from the front, and I suspect it's the shocks because it has 103k miles and i recently put on eibach pro kit springs on the same shocks. The sound its making sounds like a chatter, like screws and bolts being shaken in a tin cup??? does anyone have any clue what this may be?

Fail, Fail again, Fail Better"
asilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:27 PM   #10
asilva

My Ride: 05' X3 3.0
^anyone

Fail, Fail again, Fail Better"
asilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #11
330ci Assassin

My Ride: Titanium Silver 01 3
i ve been told my rear shocks are gone,
its making a squeeking noise when the car bumps up and down

TITAN SILVER 330CI
SSDD CAI
CCFL ANGEL EYES
CLEAR LIGHTS MOD
ACS SPRINGS
ACS REAR SPOILER
ACE ROOF SPOILER
ACS BOOT/BONNET BADGE
ACS INTERIOR BITS
EISENMANN RACE ZORST
330ci Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #12
GRIDLOCK

My Ride: E36 / E46
Quote:
+1

Have an EVAP code? Replacing gas cap did not fix? Give me a holler, I can do a smoke test for ya.
GRIDLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote