E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2007, 03:31 PM   #41
schnejerator

My Ride: 01 325i black bomb
I was unable to get my fan assembly off the water pump - a stubborn @$^# to say the least, but as dflteam pointed out there is another way.

I only have so many saturday afternoons, so off to the mechanic it will go...
schnejerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:52 PM   #42
brosher

My Ride: 04 325XI
Just another reason to get a manual tranny, the fan is stupid easy to get off!

Did mine today, this was easier and cheaper than the stupid final stage resistor I also had to replace today. I did not drain the block, only the radiator. Didn't have a drop come out of the hoses so you really only need to do a full drain if you want to replace all the coolant.

It is notable that the coolant hoses come off much easier if you completely remove the clips. Not sure if it supposed to make a difference, but for me it did. The seal on my old stat was pretty much disintegrated. Wish I had a plastic brush or something to clean the gunk off the block, I used my finger nails and a paper towel to do the best I could.

Bentley doesn't list a torque for the stat bolts. I did 7 ft-lbs because thats what it listed for the M3. Even that felt like I was pushing it though.

One nice additional benefit is my MPG seems to have jumped a lot. Maybe it was just running at a really inefficient temp before because I was getting 22.5MPG on the OBC. After a 15 mile drive it was on 28MPG. We'll see if this holds through the week when I get do my ussual commute.
brosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:36 PM   #43
otto325coupe

My Ride: 01 frontier crew cab
Stupid easy?

Okay I have to say the actual changing out of the thermostat here is very easy but getting the fan and the shroud out was a royal pain in the ass. I must have been doing it the hard way because it took most of the two hours to do this just to get the fan off. who the hell designed that shroud to be one piece, ****ing idiot. So i managed to get enough room to get my hand in front of the fan by moving the shroud back while i unscrewed the three bolts holding the fan to the clutch. then it came out no problem... but getting the fan bolted back on was difficult.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:58 AM   #44
UK Beemer

My Ride: 2000 323i
Taking the fan off on mine was the longest part of the job! Tighter than a MOFO with two of us pushing/pulling on the wrench/clutch fan tool!

Those of u who did it in 3 mins are bloody lucky!!
UK Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:17 PM   #45
Alekm

My Ride: 323 E46 1999 AT 170k
So the fan tool and a 32mm thin wrench are a must? WOudl a serpentine belt tool that Sears sell work as the fan clutch tool
Alekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:59 AM   #46
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
just as a reminder, if you are getting close to 100K miles, go ahead and replace the hoses too, better safe than sorry. By the way, getting the hose that goes from thermo to the bottom of the radiator off took me about an hour and a half when I did it, total PITA. Why--I have no idea, I pulled and pushed and levered the thing to death, I even cut the hose off of the connector, but finally, it just nearly fell off as if to taunt me for all the time I spent trying to get it off......

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:38 PM   #47
Ogio

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
My 2001 330Ci (94k) SES light came on recently and sure enough its a P0128, Operating Below Normal Temp, which means that my thermostat is stuck open. After reading this thread I am confident I can DIY, but have a few questions:

1. Which thermostat is better - Whaler or Behr?
2. Where should I order it from?
3. What tools do I need?
4. Is it a good idea to also replace the water pump/hoses?

I would sincerely appreciate it if anyone in Cincinnati (Florence, KY) has the tools/time to help.
Ogio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:42 PM   #48
dashoshot

My Ride: 2002 330CI
I just recently replaced my t-stat and I couldnt have done it without the fan wrench tool i purchased from bimmertools.com. I had a hard time trying to get the fan nut loose because I didnt have the right tools. I'd recommend their site to buy the tools you need to replace your t-stat and/or water pump if you choose to.

GO GOLDENSTATE WARRIORS!!!
dashoshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:54 AM   #49
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashoshot View Post
I just recently replaced my t-stat and I couldnt have done it without the fan wrench tool i purchased from bimmertools.com. I had a hard time trying to get the fan nut loose because I didnt have the right tools. I'd recommend their site to buy the tools you need to replace your t-stat and/or water pump if you choose to.

GO GOLDENSTATE WARRIORS!!!
That fan wrench is also the same type used in bikes. But the most important part is that, that wrench is only needed for those with automatics. Manuals don't have two fans.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:34 PM   #50
dashoshot

My Ride: 2002 330CI
yea i forgot to mention that. my bad.... my bad
dashoshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:14 AM   #51
3c
E46 CLub in Bay Area CA

My Ride: SL/C/CI/TE/X5
does anyone know what's the torque spec. for the 4 thermostat bolts ~ ( 3 x M6 & 1 x M8 ) ?
I don't see it listed in the E46 Bentley service book either !

THX in advance

PS: NOT the engine block drain plug to block 25NM or radiator drain plug to radiator 2-3NM ! but the termostat bolts itself ?

E46 CLUB in Bay Area CA USA
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/BMWE46club/

Last edited by 3c; 05-03-2007 at 12:35 AM.
3c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:33 AM   #52
dwvcfii

My Ride: 98 328is, 06 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Beemer View Post
Taking the fan off on mine was the longest part of the job! Tighter than a MOFO with two of us pushing/pulling on the wrench/clutch fan tool! Those of u who did it in 3 mins are bloody lucky!!
The trick to doing this is to put the 32 mm wrench on the nut positioned at about 12:30 and use a metal hammer (NOT a rubber mallet) to give it a couple whacks down and to the right (toward the driver's side in the US or pax side UK). This acts like an impact wrench and will loosen the fan in 2-3 hits, typically. No water pump holding tool is required to remove the fan unless the belt is not installed for some reason.

That technique works for reinstalling the fan as well...except you'll need about 10 good whacks to achieve the desired torque...keeping in mind, of course, that rotation of the wrench means nothing in terms of torque in this case since the pulley WILL slip a bit under the belt with each whack. You'll need to reseat the wrench on the fan nut several times for this reason.

You can confirm you're tightening it properly by loosening it again. If it breaks loose in 2-3 hits, you're on the mark. Definitely make sure the fan is tight, though. If it's loose, it can further loosen if you rev high and let off the gas quickly. My tech told me of a case where that happened (not to him, but another DIYer) and it created a lot of collateral damage.

-Doug
Old 05-11-2007, 03:38 PM   #53
GRIDLOCK

My Ride: E36 / E46
Quote:
1. Which thermostat is better - Whaler or Behr?
Wahler

Have an EVAP code? Replacing gas cap did not fix? Give me a holler, I can do a smoke test for ya.
GRIDLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:23 PM   #54
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIDLOCK View Post
Wahler

I'll vote for Behr. Wahlers last about a year on my car.

My Track Schedule

The solution to the lack of headroom in the X6

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #55
Canuck328i

My Ride: 09 Altima Cpe
IIRC Behr is the replacement brand unit that went on mine for the emissions recall - I believe it replaced a Wahler.

Mark
Canuck328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:32 PM   #56
UK Beemer

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwvcfii View Post
The trick to doing this is to put the 32 mm wrench on the nut positioned at about 12:30 and use a metal hammer (NOT a rubber mallet) to give it a couple whacks down and to the right (toward the driver's side in the US or pax side UK). This acts like an impact wrench and will loosen the fan in 2-3 hits, typically. No water pump holding tool is required to remove the fan unless the belt is not installed for some reason.

That technique works for reinstalling the fan as well...except you'll need about 10 good whacks to achieve the desired torque...keeping in mind, of course, that rotation of the wrench means nothing in terms of torque in this case since the pulley WILL slip a bit under the belt with each whack. You'll need to reseat the wrench on the fan nut several times for this reason.

You can confirm you're tightening it properly by loosening it again. If it breaks loose in 2-3 hits, you're on the mark. Definitely make sure the fan is tight, though. If it's loose, it can further loosen if you rev high and let off the gas quickly. My tech told me of a case where that happened (not to him, but another DIYer) and it created a lot of collateral damage.

-Doug

Thanks for the tips...I can't wait to get back in a stick anyway though!
UK Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:18 AM   #57
elbee

My Ride: 2001 325I Sedan
I just bought a Wahler from BMW to replace a Behr that had 90K on it and was still going strong. The Behr had lots of metal, the Wahler was mostly plastic. Go for the Behr.
elbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:31 PM   #58
Ogio

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Seems like Behr is what I should go with. What's the best place to order it from?
Ogio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:11 PM   #59
elbee

My Ride: 2001 325I Sedan
You can check the sponsers of the forum to see if they have it. I think alleurasianautoparts.com might have it too.
elbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:32 PM   #60
BrianLeveille

My Ride: 325xi
All,

I followed the 'easy' route and did not drain the radiator or the block. I just removed the fan (I have an electric fan, so that took 60 seconds to remove), removed the thermostat (some fluid came out), unclipped and removed the hoses, then reversed it all when installing the new thermostat. Took less than 1 hour.

My question: I didn't bleed the coolant system after doing this. Do I now have air bubbles in my coolant system? Can I just bleed the system to remove any bubbles?

Thanks,

-BL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock323iSaloon View Post
Silroc, this is easy DIY. I cheated by not draining the entire block - just unclipped the 2 radiator hoses from the therm unit and them topped the fluid up later. Refer to some posts that I have put in, this shouldn't take you more than 30min. the pic attached has some questions on it but that was just me trying to get help from thsi forum. all u need to do to remove the nunit is to remove the metal clips using a flat screw driver, pull the hoses off, unscrew the 4 bolts from the therm and you're done
BrianLeveille is offline   Reply With Quote