E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports – this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2004, 07:32 AM   #1
Spiral Prophet
Über-Geek

My Ride: '01 Topaz Blue 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Spiral  Prophet
R compound Tires

Man.. i've been doing some research on R compounds for this upcoming season.. yeah i know its a few months off but one can never be too prepared.. anyway i was seriously hoping that kuhmo would put out a V710 size for me.. but from what i've read they aren't introducing any new 17" sizes.. this is depressing..

I was also hoping that AVON would introduce a 17" size that would fit... right now they have a 275 that i think i MIGHT be able to squeeze under the car.. but i dunno... i'm running 255 victoracers right now and the rears rub very very slightly.. and the 275's are a 1/4" wider ... so i dunno..

hoosiers are probably the best tire out there right now in my size but they don't last very long and are mad expensive... the victoracers last a lil bit longer and are pretty grippy... but they tend to go out of stock quickly.. so recently i've been running the TOYO Proxy RA-1's... They've lasted very long.. are better in cold weather than the kuhmos and run the same price.. but i know they aren't going to be good in teh warm weather..

kuhmo and avon need to show some love with the 17" sizes..

~T|/\/\
Spiral  Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:21 PM   #2
AndyZHP

My Ride: BMW
Here’s something to think about… or at least tempt you a little.

I was easily 2 seconds faster going from my OEM street tires to 265/35/18 Kumho V700s. I was easily 1 second faster going from the Kumho V700s to the 245/35/18 Hoosier A3S04s.
AndyZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 12:16 AM   #3
Spiral Prophet
Über-Geek

yeah i know the a3s04's are fast.. and i'm sure i'd pick up time on them.. but i'm already winning class solidly so the extra cost doesn't seem worth it... i'm mainly *****ing because the V710's from what i've heard from the national guys are faster than the hoosiers... and they're cheaper.. so i'm dying for them to come out in a size i can fit..

from what i've been told.. with the times i've been running on my kuhmo victoracers i wouldn't see too much improvement going to hoosiers.. maybe a half second or so... now if there was a national tour event at DC this year i'd probably buy a set for that.. but if i'm stuck just doing local events.. its not worth the extra $$$

~T|/\/\
Old 12-31-2004, 03:20 AM   #4
bmwerkes
Foot 2 the floor in the 604

My Ride: is a D-Stock sleeper
i run z3 wheels on my car for autocross.. they are 225-50-16.. cheaper and easier to find in stock. also the smaller diameter very marginally lowers gearing which helps as well.. also lighter.. i picked up the stock set for 100 bux.. something for u to consider.
bmwerkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 01:51 PM   #5
Spiral Prophet
Über-Geek

i already have a set of SSR Comp's in 17 that are just my autox wheels.. and i'm running 255/40/17's on all 4 corners... i definetly need the extra rubber.. narrower tires would definetly suck..

it also doesn't help that I autox almost every weekend during the season.. sometimes more than one event a weekend too.. so if i were to go to the hoosiers i'd be buying tires like crazy..

~T|/\/\
Old 01-01-2005, 10:52 AM   #6
glenspeed

My Ride: '02 E46 M3
I've ran the Yoko AO32R's before and although not the fastest tire, definately the longest wearing. Excellent rain tire when treaded.

Haven't tried the soft compound version but that should be even better for autocrossing.

Like I said, not as fast as say a Hoosier or Kumho, but way longer wearing. I did 2 seasons on my last set and could have stretched another one...

I'm now looking at the Dunlop SSR for road course driving. For the money, I don't think they come close to anything else. They are like almost 3x cheaper than all other ones out there...just something to consider.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:25 PM   #7
jmsanders78

My Ride: 328i, Z4
I used Pilot Sport Cups this year and they were great. I have nothing to compare them to because it was my first R-comp, but they did take a while to warm up so probably not a great autocross tire. I only got three events out of them as I didn't pay attention to the shoulder wear on the left side tires at my last event this past season. I'm trying to decide if I want to get two more or switch to something else. Thanks for the Dunlop tip - I wasn't in tune with that. And it comes in 245/40/17...
jmsanders78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 12:42 PM   #8
glenspeed

My Ride: '02 E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsanders78
I used Pilot Sport Cups this year and they were great. I have nothing to compare them to because it was my first R-comp, but they did take a while to warm up so probably not a great autocross tire. I only got three events out of them as I didn't pay attention to the shoulder wear on the left side tires at my last event this past season. I'm trying to decide if I want to get two more or switch to something else. Thanks for the Dunlop tip - I wasn't in tune with that. And it comes in 245/40/17...
Tire Rack is also having specials on the Pirelli Corsa's. about same price as the Dunlops! At <$150 a tire, you can't ignore the price/value equation!