E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2005, 04:31 AM   #1
omes

My Ride: E60 ///M5
ICE Guru's Build me a system for my '02 330cic

Hey Guys,

Looking to upgrade my stock HK Sound. Not looking to go to crazy here is kinda what i am looking for. I also have the trunk CD changer is there anyway to utilize this in the new set up?

- Headunit with Flip out display - XM or Sirius Compatible and MP3 Playback (really like the Pioneer Avic - N1) but maybe too much for my set up.
- Upgrade speakers and Sub (must be familiar with the vert setup), sub in the ski pass door.
- Possibly retain the stock amplifiers if not of well.
- Dash piece to replace the stock sound system.
- Don't want any kind of sub enclosure just replace the OEM HK stuff, maybe some small mods for the sub on a bracket.

If anyone has hookups on this stuff and wants to buy it for me and mark it up a bit for the complete set and you are a "trusted" member of the board I have no issues sending you the loot.

Much appreciated.

Omes.

Last edited by omes; 01-08-2005 at 05:20 AM.
omes is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:15 AM   #2
DarrenE46

My Ride: '02 330ci
Send a message via AIM to DarrenE46
If your not looking to go crazy a flip out HU might blow your budget, if your just looking for audio and something nice look at Alpine 9831, 9833, Eclipse, or Pioneer Premier 850. As far as the speakers are concerned, you dont want to use the HK amp on aftermarket speakers, the impedences dont match up and the volume levels would be less than desireable. Then you said you dont want a sub enclosure for your sub, so basically it would be free air? The problem with that is espically in a 'vert, it wouldnt be that audible, I mean you would probably notice some gains in your low end, but for the money the sound wouldnt be that great. In most cases, you will always need some kind of box for your subs to get good bass.

If your looking at new speakers for your mids and high's, you should look at CDT, DLS, Rainbow, Focal, etc... I use CDT's and I love them, but it wasn't an easy install. You should read some of the posts about mounting the speakers to the door using MDF rings it will give you alot of good info.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:00 AM   #3
a burrito

My Ride: e90 330i
Send a message via AIM to a burrito
as far as subwoofers go i personally love my id12, never heard the idmaxes but im pretty sure they sound good too. focal utopias are pretty bright so if you consider getting focals, utopias might not be your answer if your looking into focals. if i was to re-build my system again i'd probably be running just polyglass' in the rear and k2p's in the front along with 2 jl amps, id12, eqx and the lc6 to save myself some money. btw im currently running focal utopia 136w's in the front and polyglass v2 in the back along with audison amps and the id12. i know this didnt help much but just giving you a higher hand on what you might think about before putting more then u might want into your system.
a burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:05 AM   #4
omes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenE46
If your not looking to go crazy a flip out HU might blow your budget, if your just looking for audio and something nice look at Alpine 9831, 9833, Eclipse, or Pioneer Premier 850. As far as the speakers are concerned, you dont want to use the HK amp on aftermarket speakers, the impedences dont match up and the volume levels would be less than desireable. Then you said you dont want a sub enclosure for your sub, so basically it would be free air? The problem with that is espically in a 'vert, it wouldnt be that audible, I mean you would probably notice some gains in your low end, but for the money the sound wouldnt be that great. In most cases, you will always need some kind of box for your subs to get good bass.

If your looking at new speakers for your mids and high's, you should look at CDT, DLS, Rainbow, Focal, etc... I use CDT's and I love them, but it wasn't an easy install. You should read some of the posts about mounting the speakers to the door using MDF rings it will give you alot of good info.
Thanks man
I am an ICE idiot, I am willing to spend the bucks on a nice flip out display headunit though but don't want to much hassle with amps and such and already tight on trunk space with the vert so a box is prob out of the questions, c'mon guys give me a list of stuff to pick up to repace my stock ****.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:56 AM   #5
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by omes
Thanks man
I am an ICE idiot, I am willing to spend the bucks on a nice flip out display headunit though but don't want to much hassle with amps and such and already tight on trunk space with the vert so a box is prob out of the questions, c'mon guys give me a list of stuff to pick up to repace my stock ****.
For waht is worth.

Avic N1, Focal KP165 (front components) Audison LRx2/250 for an amp for the fronts. Replace the rear speakers with a set of JL sealthboxes. And hook those up to a Audison LRx1/400. That should be a fairly decent system.

Won't cost HUGE $$$. If you want to save a few bucks use JL amps rather then the audison.

Most important thing is the install. A really good install will make medicore parts sound much better and a lousy install will make top of the line stuff sound like cr@p. If you are an ICE idiot, find a reputable shop in your area and figure out your budget and go in and talk to them.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 03:25 AM   #6
omes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq
For waht is worth.

Avic N1, Focal KP165 (front components) Audison LRx2/250 for an amp for the fronts. Replace the rear speakers with a set of JL sealthboxes. And hook those up to a Audison LRx1/400. That should be a fairly decent system.

Won't cost HUGE $$$. If you want to save a few bucks use JL amps rather then the audison.

Most important thing is the install. A really good install will make medicore parts sound much better and a lousy install will make top of the line stuff sound like cr@p. If you are an ICE idiot, find a reputable shop in your area and figure out your budget and go in and talk to them.
That is the kinda stuff I am looking for so only replace 4 of the stock speakers (remember I am an ICE idiot) will I need X/0's and such, what about the front tweeters? keep'em comin'! Any other suggestions?
Thanks again.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:56 AM   #7
xS3x
mi casa @ technik

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Send a message via MSN to xS3x
stealthboxes wont fit if you have the OEM CD changer in the trunk
Old 01-09-2005, 03:12 PM   #8
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by omes
That is the kinda stuff I am looking for so only replace 4 of the stock speakers (remember I am an ICE idiot) will I need X/0's and such, what about the front tweeters? keep'em comin'! Any other suggestions?
Thanks again.
The Focal 165kp components include tweeters and crossovers. (FYI: That is what component speakers usually mean (mid, tweeter, & crossovers)

If the factory location for the changer won't work with the stealthboxes. You could always relocate the CD changer to another location in the trunk or inside or under the glove box.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote