E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2005, 10:44 AM   #1
Red_wagen

My Ride: ZHP
Send a message via AIM to Red_wagen
Aunt might give me her E30 325i...

I'm thinking of using it as a daily driver and for tracking/autox. Woot!!
I think it's an '88.
Problem is, it's auto and it's got a leaking steering rack.
Cousin also had a minor accident in it and I think the whole front end might need to be fixed (suspension, control arms etc.).
What do you all think? How much will a tranny conversion run me?
Finally, does anyone here know the name/phone no. of the shop in Allentown, PA?
Thanks

Previous:
2007 Mystic Blue 530i
2003 Gray Green 330i
2003 Electric Red 325iTa

Nice guys finish last.
And I'm a very nice guy...

-Jay

[IMG]Under construction[/IMG]
Red_wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:58 AM   #2
marsfire0

My Ride: 997, s2k,e30m3, ae86
e30's are great cars. the e30 325i is one of the favorites for club racing. it's relatively cheap to run, pretty reliable and quick.

from what you said though, you might want to just leave it as a daily driver... fixing the front end from the collision, the steering rack work, and the automatic would be expensive and not worth your time. if youre serious about running an e30 in events, it'd be cheaper for you to just buy an e30 the way you want (manual, straight body, no work needed).

i used to have an e30 325 (not the i unfortunately) that was automatic as well. i did chip, new LSD (3.46), etc and i think it still couldnt run very well with the manuals. (thats why i got the m3 )

dont get me wrong, its a great car and a lotta fun to drive, but i dont think the auto would be very competitive. you'd probably be better off running your other car. but if you want, go for it. im sure itll still be fun.

that's why itd be a nice daily driver. its up to you though. I'm just tryin to save you some money in repairs/mods sinve ive been down that road.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:49 AM   #3
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Sledgomatic + body damage = parts car

Manual trans conversion parts will run you $500 to $1000 depending on the source. The swap will take you and a buddy or two a weekend if you have access to a welder to tack the rear shifter console support into place. You will also need access to the ETM (Electrical Troubleshooting Manual) to set up the clutch switch and disable the "Park" starter interlock. Minor suspension damage is nto a major concern since it will all need to be replaced anyway. If the car is really clean, you might want to use it as a starting point for an S50 engine swap. 240hp is a LOT of fun in an E30.

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:32 PM   #4
Red_wagen

I still have to check out the car as to the extent of the damage and how the body is. Hopefully not much rust if any. I contacted the person in Allentown (Dave from Motor Works West referred me to him) and he said the tranny swap can be done for <1500 including parts Of course I still have to take care of other things like, timing belt, brakes, suspension, etc.

Previous:
2007 Mystic Blue 530i
2003 Gray Green 330i
2003 Electric Red 325iTa

Nice guys finish last.

-Jay

Old 01-10-2005, 01:37 PM   #5
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
If you don't want the car, I might be interested in picking it up for parts. Let me know.

Ed

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:50 PM   #6
marsfire0

My Ride: 997, s2k,e30m3, ae86
well, for just the tranny, youre lookin at around 1500 for a manual. and thats for a car that has damage...

you can get a good condition manual 325i or 325is for about 4k. i think youre better off goin that route and just usin this one as a daily driver.

good luck though on whatever you decide to do!
Old 01-10-2005, 02:37 PM   #7
Red_wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdfl
If you don't want the car, I might be interested in picking it up for parts. Let me know.

Ed
The car is still running. My cousin is still using it but next month he's gonna get another car so thats when I can get it. If I don't get it I'll have my cousin get in touch with you.

Marsfire0, thanks

Previous:
2007 Mystic Blue 530i
2003 Gray Green 330i
2003 Electric Red 325iTa

Nice guys finish last.

-Jay