E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2002, 04:32 PM   #1
djabaley
does anyone read my p0sts?

My Ride: 325 slushbox
new car stereo install w/ pics

just thought I'd throw up some pics of my new install. All diamond stuff with a Nakamichi 45-Z head unit. A diamond 600.2 amp powers two M3 line DVC subwoofers, and the 300.2 amp powers a set of M6 components in the front and two of the older 5 line of 6.5 components in the back shelf. the amps are mounted on a polished plexi shelf that's hinged in the back. a four inch linear actuator lowers and raises the shelf. the lowering and raising action is controlled by a custom circuit that uses the dome light and a tilt switch in the trunk lid to sense when the trunk is open. if the latch is released when the trunk is open the shelf drops/raises. so, I can use my key to lower and raise the shelf. the sub box is old, but I never took any pictures. it's glassed on the back and has a MDF front. I'd love all of your opinions.

edit: I also but a battery in the spare tire well to make the voltage demands on the car a little easier. I left enough slack to where I could move the whole thing out and get to the tire if needed.

edit 2: I also relocated the seat relase as can be seen in the first picture below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk.jpg
Views:	1575
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	11578  

Last edited by djabaley; 08-13-2002 at 04:39 PM.
djabaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-13-2002, 04:33 PM   #2
withdrew
Astoria Fed

My Ride: '02 325i, SP/PP/CWP
Send a message via AIM to withdrew
pics of the head unit, etc?
withdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 04:33 PM   #3
djabaley

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trunk2.jpg
Views:	1502
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	11581  
Old 08-13-2002, 04:33 PM   #4
djabaley

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	300.jpg
Views:	1483
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	11587  
Old 08-13-2002, 04:34 PM   #5
Orient Blue 3
I know all about that...

My Ride: 08 335i Coupe
Send a message via AIM to Orient Blue 3
Whoa awesome install! Very unique. You should carpet the pillar that raises and lowers it or something, it kinda sticks out a bit, that is such a sweet idea to raise and lower the amps, never even though of anything like that!
Orient Blue 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 04:36 PM   #6
djabaley

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rack down.jpg
Views:	1426
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	11588  
Old 08-13-2002, 04:37 PM   #7
djabaley

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	linear act.jpg
Views:	1413
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	11589  
Old 08-13-2002, 04:37 PM   #8
djabaley

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	600.jpg
Views:	1376
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	11590  
Old 08-13-2002, 04:38 PM   #9
djabaley

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bat in tire.jpg
Views:	1382
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	11591  
Old 08-13-2002, 04:47 PM   #10
CrazyBimmer
Manwhore

My Ride: 09 M3 Sedan
Send a message via AIM to CrazyBimmer
wow great idea... a lift for the amps... nice!! Is that lift strong enough to hold both amps when making sharp turns?
Old 08-13-2002, 04:54 PM   #11
s4play
Banned

My Ride: ML320, 02 M3, 01 S2K
Send a message via AIM to s4play Send a message via Yahoo to s4play
Cool idea man...definitely an A for creativity....

the sub box design is also quite nice in that you get to maintain most of your trunk space - an idea that seems forgotten in most car stereo installs that take up the whole trunk. Just one experience without a spare is enuff for me...haha

Just wanted to ask you what the purpose of motorizing the amp rack? For shows and points? If I were you, with all that cash already spent on the install, I would use plywood and make a nice trunk floor too maybe with a trademark logo or something.
You spend all that time on the trunk and then use a factory mat which looks very incomplete...just an idea okay

good job,
rick
s4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 07:28 PM   #12
maynardc

My Ride: '03 M3 - 6-speed
Question how do you remove the spare?

Quote:
Originally posted by djabaley
it looks like you'd have to disconnect all of the wires in order to remove the spare...if so, that's a big hassle if you have an emergency.

otherwise, everything else looks good.
maynardc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 09:54 PM   #13
djabaley

Acutally the idea for amp motorization was two-fold: I can fold them up for space-saving and spare tire access, or lower them for show and better cooling. The batter lifts out and there's enough slack on the cables to where I can move it and get to the tire. The whole purpose behind the rack was not to have to remove the spare and mess with the trunk floor. Plus all this didn't really cost too much since I'm practically my local stereo guys' best customer (my fourth car with them.) The whole goal of the install was to maximize trunk space and retain the spare tire, and I think we pulled that off nicely. The only problem is that the sub amp heats quickly when folded up, so I'm going to have to work out some sort of cooling solution. Right now I'm thinking one of those low-profile circular fans. The problem is that the cooling depends a lot on the ambient trunk temp, as you can see I have one of my seats folded down to let the trunk cool in this florida weather. I'm not too sure what to do yet. Yeah the actuator is rated to hold 150 pounds, so it can hold up in turns and such. There are also two cables bolted to the plexi and top of the trunk in case of an emergency fall or something. Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice on my cooling problem!
Old 08-23-2002, 02:36 PM   #14
RudeJamaican

My Ride: Alpine 2001 330ci
Send a message via AIM to RudeJamaican Send a message via Yahoo to RudeJamaican
AUDIO QUESTION

I am gettiing ready to install a system in my 199 323I , I notice that alot of you guys have a seal box in your trunks, I am looking for a box that can give me good bass that can be heard outside the car, I know BMW trunks are well tight, so if i just put a seal box in the trunk will i hear a good bass or do i have to get a port box build with the port comiing through the back seat pass-through ???.
RudeJamaican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 02:41 PM   #15
CrazyBimmer
Manwhore

My Ride: 09 M3 Sedan
Send a message via AIM to CrazyBimmer
Re: AUDIO QUESTION

Quote:
Originally posted by RudeJamaican
I am gettiing ready to install a system in my 199 323I , I notice that alot of you guys have a seal box in your trunks, I am looking for a box that can give me good bass that can be heard outside the car, I know BMW trunks are well tight, so if i just put a seal box in the trunk will i hear a good bass or do i have to get a port box build with the port comiing through the back seat pass-through ???.

sealed will not give that BOOM sounds that you are looking for. If you want the most LOUD BASS from your sub, then get a ported box through the ski hole.

Sealed is for tight accuate bass...

But why do you want to hear it outside? For others to hear it?
Old 08-23-2002, 02:47 PM   #16
RudeJamaican

My Ride: Alpine 2001 330ci
Send a message via AIM to RudeJamaican Send a message via Yahoo to RudeJamaican
Thanks CrasyBimmer

I like to chilling in the fellows and just having my music sounding good , I guess I have to have a box custom made. I am using 2 MTX Thunder8000 10' (T8104) and a Lighting Audio Bold B400.4 AMP.
RudeJamaican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 02:51 PM   #17
MCD007
Im The Man

My Ride: 325ci
Send a message via AIM to MCD007
If you take your time to calculate and build a ported box, it will be louder with the same amount of power as a sealed, only disadvantage is ported box will be larger. I use 1 12" driver in a ported box.
MCD007 is offline   Reply With Quote