E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
///A

My Ride: e92 335is JB4
MTM suit measurements; skin vs garment?

Anyone know what sort of extra 'tolerance' is given from a skin measurement versus the actual suit garment measurement?

For example, if one's chest measurement is 36," usually the garment is measured at 20" pit-to-pit, to give a 4" 'tolerance.'

This seems to be the norm on average suits. However, if I'm looking to have a slim cut, similar to how a slim Brit or Italian would wear his suit, what should the tolerance be? It obviously can't be exactly your skin measurement, since it would not allow any mobility.

- Retired -
///A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
oie77

My Ride: wamta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///A View Post
Anyone know what sort of extra 'tolerance' is given from a skin measurement versus the actual suit garment measurement?

For example, if one's chest measurement is 36," usually the garment is measured at 20" pit-to-pit, to give a 4" 'tolerance.'

This seems to be the norm on average suits. However, if I'm looking to have a slim cut, similar to how a slim Brit or Italian would wear his suit, what should the tolerance be? It obviously can't be exactly your skin measurement, since it would not allow any mobility.
I assume youre doing this for a self-measure online thing?

I'd look closely at what the company suggests as some take actual measurments and add their own allowances. You dont want to double up on the allowances....

But to answer your question, it depends on where you are measuring. Chest would be like 3-4 inches, while shoulders or bicept would be much less...
oie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
Ironically enough this is one of those moments where "do you even lift bro" is a legitmate question to ask
Old 01-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
///A

Lol, I don't lift. Oie77, yes I am measuring for an Indochino suit, haha.

I measured my chest measurement at 36", but their 'garment measurement' reads 41" which I found odd.

What do you suggest for the hip measurement of the suit jacket? I measured myself at 35," so what should the 'garment measurement' read as?

- Retired -

Last edited by ///A; 01-28-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
oie77

My Ride: wamta
Quote:
Lol, I don't lift. Oie77, yes I am measuring for an Indochino suit, haha.

I measured my chest measurement at 36", but their 'garment measurement' reads 41" which I found odd.

What do you suggest for the hip measurement of the suit jacket? I measured myself at 35," so what should the 'garment measurement' read as?
Not really sure. I'd shoot them an email just to be sure. I've never used them so Im not sure about how they want you to measure...
oie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr_driver View Post
Ironically enough this is one of those moments where "do you even lift bro" is a legitmate question to ask
You don't need to lift to have a MTM suit made for you

paging XKxRomeOox

wtf dude you have the most confusing screen name, i had to open up another tab and look up my inbox because i thought it was xXxRomexXx hahahah

Seriously he is probably the most knowledgeable member on here when it comes to suit measurement, i would await his grand entrance.
JJR4884 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
///A

I've did a comparison with Top Man and Ben Sherman from ebay listings, and it seems like 2" for a slim fit should be the pit to pit measurement.

- Retired -
Old 01-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
///A

Where's my Korean Romeo? Hasn't chimed in yet.

Anyways, I got a response back from BlackLapel, another MTM company. They told me that 2.5" is roughly the slack given.

36" would measure 38.5" pit to pit. I am going to assume the same for the stomach and hip measurements? just add + 2.5" ?

- Retired -

Last edited by ///A; 01-29-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
You don't need to lift to have a MTM suit made for you

paging XKxRomeOox

wtf dude you have the most confusing screen name, i had to open up another tab and look up my inbox because i thought it was xXxRomexXx hahahah

Seriously he is probably the most knowledgeable member on here when it comes to suit measurement, i would await his grand entrance.
Lol
Just saw this thread today
I have had MTM suits made but the tailor did the measurements himself in person
So I am not able to give too much help in this particular situation

Something that might help you... measure your clothes you have now
I measured my suit and sport coat jackets and figured out what fits me best
Because I was actually wrong about my shoulder-to-shoulder measurement for a while until I measured my best fitting jacket

But... indochino wants you to give your body measurements or the garment measurments of what you want made? I thought if you give your body measurments to a MTM place, they have their preset measurments for a slim cut, etc.

[bimmerapp]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #10
///A

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
Lol
Just saw this thread today
I have had MTM suits made but the tailor did the measurements himself in person
So I am not able to give too much help in this particular situation

Something that might help you... measure your clothes you have now
I measured my suit and sport coat jackets and figured out what fits me best
Because I was actually wrong about my shoulder-to-shoulder measurement for a while until I measured my best fitting jacket

But... indochino wants you to give your body measurements or the garment measurments of what you want made? I thought if you give your body measurments to a MTM place, they have their preset measurments for a slim cut, etc.

[bimmerapp]

Thanks for your input Romeo. For BlackLapel, they have options for slim fit or tailored fit. However, for Indochino, I think they really only have one fit. I've read in some forum not so long ago, that an Indochino client had to "manipulate" his body measurements, just so he could get it to fit slim.

I ordered from Indochino in the past, with satisfactory results. But they've recently changed to a "garment measurement" method after your first order. For example, Indochino will ask for a pit-to-pit measurement of a well-fitted shirt to determine the chest. On my recent order for just a dress shirt, I reduced my chest size in the garment measurement from 37" to 36.5" for a pit-to-pit measurement. However, I just looked at my account today, and they freaking had it at 41" ! WTF?

- Retired -

Last edited by ///A; 01-29-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:47 PM   #11
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

Quote:
Thanks for your input Romeo. For BlackLapel, they have options for slim fit or tailored fit. However, for Indochino, I think they really only have one fit. I've read in some forum not so long ago, that an Indochino client had to "manipulate" his body measurements, just so he could get it to fit slim.

I ordered from Indochino in the past, with satisfactory results. But they've recently changed to a "garment measurement" method after your first order. For example, Indochino will ask for a pit-to-pit measurement of a well-fitted shirt to determine the chest. On my recent order for just a dress shirt, I reduced my chest size in the garment measurement from 37" to 36.5" for a pit-to-pit measurement. However, I just looked at my account today, and they freaking had it at 41" ! WTF?
probably lost a lot of money in those tailoring credits (do they provide that? or is that another suit maker?)
so they want people to order the suit with the exact measurements they want after the first order
since ideally you would have had it tailored to the way you want it and then you can just use those measurements for future orders

and this is the reason why i never tried any of the online MTM places
i didn't want the hassle of going through multiple rounds of adjustments to find the right fit
it's hard enough when an actual tailor is measuring you in person and doing the work himself ... doing it through a third party and through the internet just makes that process more difficult
of course most people have success with it after a few attempts and that is why indochino is still in business
but i had the option of doing this in person for actually less money while i was traveling overseas so i went with that

Quote:

Last edited by XKxRome0ox; 01-29-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:13 AM   #12
///A

Quote:
probably lost a lot of money in those tailoring credits (do they provide that? or is that another suit maker?)
so they want people to order the suit with the exact measurements they want after the first order
since ideally you would have had it tailored to the way you want it and then you can just use those measurements for future orders

and this is the reason why i never tried any of the online MTM places
i didn't want the hassle of going through multiple rounds of adjustments to find the right fit
it's hard enough when an actual tailor is measuring you in person and doing the work himself ... doing it through a third party and through the internet just makes that process more difficult
of course most people have success with it after a few attempts and that is why indochino is still in business
but i had the option of doing this in person for actually less money while i was traveling overseas so i went with that
Yes, Indochino gives you $75 in tailoring credit, I believe only for your first order. After they changed their new method of alteration, I can't fathom how many incorrect adjustments were made for many of their customers!

I would love to have access to a personal tailor locally, but the starting price quote I've received was at $900.

I think why I am keeping faith in online MTM companies is from my success with Astor & Black. Although they aren't online MTM where you measure yourself, they do have someone measure you and submit it to be made, without further visits. The suit came out flawless to say the least, and I guess I'm just a bit optimistic with these online companies

- Retired -
Old 01-30-2013, 01:28 AM   #13
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

if you had such success with astor & black, why are you going with indochino?
is there a big price difference?

also, ask if the local places do their own in-house MTM ... so many places farm out the work overseas anyway and pocket the difference
decent MTM suits can be had for .. probably under $350 from chinese and vietnamese shops
even cheaper if you are getting something fused
i had mine made in korea for $450. half canvas construction with plenty of hand stitched detailing, including functional sleeve button holes
(tailors here will charge you about $100 just to do the button holes)
only needed two fittings so i was able to get the suit in less than a week
used top of the line korean domestic wool. price increases if i opt for british or italian imported fabrics

Quote:

Last edited by XKxRome0ox; 01-30-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #14
///A

Romeo, I believe Astor & Black are in a different league than these online MTM retailors. They have suits that start from $900 all the way to the Zegnas, Scabals, etc. The only reason why I got the A&B suit was because I had a free suit voucher after purchasing an MB S550 4matic. The dealer had some kind of partnership.

As a Korean myself, I'd love to go one day and get a bespoke for that price. I just HATE the plane ride... NY to Kimpo, 14 hrs

- Retired -
Old 01-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #15
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

Quote:
Romeo, I believe Astor & Black are in a different league than these online MTM retailors. They have suits that start from $900 all the way to the Zegnas, Scabals, etc. The only reason why I got the A&B suit was because I had a free suit voucher after purchasing an MB S550 4matic. The dealer had some kind of partnership.

As a Korean myself, I'd love to go one day and get a bespoke for that price. I just HATE the plane ride... NY to Kimpo, 14 hrs
Ah... makes sense
And look at you, mr. S550 4matic
Hanging with us lowly e46 people

It isn't true bespoke at that price
But it is really well done MTM

And it must have been a while since you've been to korea
Kimpo is for domestic flights only
Incheon (ICN) is where you'd fly into for international flights
Luckily I am in california so my flight is a little shorter (not by much though... at least going to korea, since gotta go north to get around that jetstream)

[bimmerapp]

Quote:

Last edited by XKxRome0ox; 01-30-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #16
///A

Hahaha, E46 is where my heart is (crossing fingers for a kick-ass 2 series). Also, you're right, the last time I flew to Korea was 15 years ago lol .

As long as there's an expert who takes my measurements in person, I'm sure it'll beat any online MTM.

I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet with the Indochino suit. Worst case, I'll pack it and ship it for a refund and be out about $20 bucks for return shipping.

Quote:
Ah... makes sense
And look at you, mr. S550 4matic
Hanging with us lowly e46 people

It isn't true bespoke at that price
But it is really well done MTM

And it must have been a while since you've been to korea
Kimpo is for domestic flights only
Incheon (ICN) is where you'd fly into for international flights
Luckily I am in california so my flight is a little shorter (not by much though... at least going to korea, since gotta go north to get around that jetstream)

[bimmerapp]

- Retired -