E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-18-2005, 12:40 PM   #1
oneha1980

My Ride: 2004 bmw 330ci
rough idle/cold start problem...

whenever i start my car for the first time every day, RPM drops to below 500 and feels like the car is choking and sometimes my car stalls and sometimes it starts... to prevent stalling, ive been revving it up right after i start the car.. its a pain in the ass... does anyone's car do this shiet? also sometimes when im stopped at a light, rpm fluctuates and stalls... i know this is a known problem the dealership doesnt look like they have a fix for this... wonder if anyone got it fixed...

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:48 PM   #2
idsignature

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneha1980
whenever i start my car for the first time every day, RPM drops to below 500 and feels like the car is choking and sometimes my car stalls and sometimes it starts... to prevent stalling, ive been revving it up right after i start the car.. its a pain in the ass... does anyone's car do this shiet? also sometimes when im stopped at a light, rpm fluctuates and stalls... i know this is a known problem the dealership doesnt look like they have a fix for this... wonder if anyone got it fixed...
I had the same problem and had the car towed into the dealer @ 12K. They changed all six ignition coil and it was running fine for awhile. I just took it in the dealer yesterday for the same problem again @ 14K. Don't know what they gonna tell me this time.
idsignature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 02:02 PM   #3
Masko

My Ride: silver coupe
Send a message via AIM to Masko
happened to me when it got really cold but now that its warmer in so cal it doesnt do it anymore
Old 01-18-2005, 03:03 PM   #4
oneha1980

My Ride: 2004 bmw 330ci
took my car in 3 times for coil packs... i have 35000 miles right now..
it felt like my car actually was better in a 10 deg weather in nj than warm florida weather.. wtf

dont know when ill need another coil[pack replaced... ive heard it could be some intake sensor that cuases the rpm fluctuation????
Old 01-18-2005, 03:08 PM   #5
inspector16

My Ride: 2003 325it
Just had my 03 325 towed in for something similar. 18k miles on it. Got a call saying the car was ready and sorted out. But haven't talked with them yet to find out what the cause was. I'll post it here once I find out. But if it's like other's problems, it doesn't sound like it's fixed for good. Hopefully it won't do it to me later on when I'm on a roadtrip or something. At least this time it happened in my driveway.
inspector16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:55 PM   #6
ilron

My Ride: 330i Special Edition
I have the same problem as well, only on cold and especially wet mornings, I went to the dealer and changed the coil on #2 as it was the reason for the worst trouble, I also changed the "top pack". Anyway, this changed the feel of the engine entirely - almost as new - (this is an 98 model) but on some mornings I still have some hints of the same, low rpm and increased misfiring. The dealer does not know what is wrong so I belive it might be related to a sensor. If the engine is warm - or has been used earlier the same day, then there is no trouble at all.

If anyone here knows what it is then I would love to know as well.
ilron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:04 PM   #7
Davidjay

My Ride: 2004 X3 3.0
Send a message via AIM to Davidjay
Camshaft sensor!

I have my sensor being shipped right now and will update you.But this is a Known problem in our cars.The good news is the part is only $100
Davidjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:08 PM   #8
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Yeah I had the same thing. It actually doing it now, but it doesn't cut off anymore. The dealer said that there is a fues that when your car is idling, it "suppose" to cut off thinking that you are inhaling carbon monoxide. Fues and a timing mechanism
saxual328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 05:25 PM   #9
falconx

My Ride:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneha1980
try a different brand of gas (for cold start problem) & use a chevron fuel injector for a few tanks.
falconx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:18 AM   #10
pdorsey

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330CI
i have the same problem with my 04 330. I read something about a flash for software that corrects the problem but my dealer has yet to correct it after three visits - going in for round 4 this week. Do you also have a slight hesitation at 4000 RPMs while accelerating?
pdorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:30 AM   #11
bunnykiller67
Modded ///328i

My Ride: 328isold-->E36 M3
Send a message via AIM to bunnykiller67 Send a message via MSN to bunnykiller67
Have the same issue in my car, and have been reading it is really common for 328's. But many say a software update fixes it. Dunno if changing ignition coils is for the same problem.... it stops after I warm up the car a little, but dont know if I should bring it in, cuz it may cost me an arm and leg.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:58 AM   #12
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Get them to reflash your DME. That fixes 99% of all rough idle issues.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:59 AM   #13
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdorsey
i have the same problem with my 04 330. I read something about a flash for software that corrects the problem but my dealer has yet to correct it after three visits - going in for round 4 this week. Do you also have a slight hesitation at 4000 RPMs while accelerating?
The dip at 4000rpm is normal, its the variable length intake runners switching over.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:33 PM   #14
inspector16

Just got the word from my dealer. It's the ignition coils in cylinders 2 and 5 on my car. So they've been replaced and it should be ok. At least for now. Haven't had the hesitation at 4k rpm though.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:37 PM   #15
falconx

My Ride:
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector16
Just got the word from my dealer. It's the ignition coils in cylinders 2 and 5 on my car. So they've been replaced and it should be ok. At least for now. Haven't had the hesitation at 4k rpm though.
did you have a check engine/service engine soon light ON?
falconx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:43 PM   #16
inspector16

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconx
did you have a check engine/service engine soon light ON?
Yeah, had the SES light come on. And the engine would die after running for a few seconds.