E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > Sponsor Press Releases & New Product Announcements

Sponsor Press Releases & New Product Announcements
Get the latest news and announcements from the site sponsors! To ask a question please use the 'Ask a Sponsor' forum.
Click here to view all the site sponsors and see what they are offering!

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in this custom trim?
Yes, I this Josh's labor is worth $180 39 21.08%
Yes, but I would pay a maximum of $150 86 46.49%
No, this is overpriced and unnecessary. 60 32.43%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2005, 10:46 PM   #41
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: Vorsteiner 335i
Send a message via AIM to Jlevi SW
so, it looks like this unit even bolts up to the factory "screw in" points, yeah?

JL
Jlevi SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:49 PM   #42
LAFENGAS
www.thielstudios.com

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to LAFENGAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlevi
so, it looks like this unit even bolts up to the factory "screw in" points, yeah?

JL
No drilling is needed to fit this piece.
LAFENGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:06 PM   #43
beefy6969

My Ride: 2000 323CI TiAg
With so many monitors out in the market, its crazy to make it look clean. The point of your project was to make it look flush with your pioneer screen. With so many sizes out there, its almost impossible to do this with another brand. The average buyer must go home and fabricate it to their own LCD.

Yes, these applications are great for VGA touchscreen LCDs. IMHO $150 is a decent price.
beefy6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:19 PM   #44
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

Josh - I'm actually playing with the idea of selling these with monitors pre-installed... I mean, how many people here would actually want to do something custom? Not many people have the tools or experience, you know?
We could always offer a blank AND one with a monitor built in...

JL
Old 01-24-2005, 11:22 PM   #45
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

http://www.mobilevideo4less.com/Merc...egory_Code=NAV

Not cheap, but it's cheaper and cleaner than an AVIC N1 flip-screen install ( I know, I just finished mine )

Also, you have to keep in mind that you could easily do this install without navi, and just have a touch screen monitor for your AV

JL
Old 01-24-2005, 11:25 PM   #46
VMW Racing
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Hey LAFENGAS is that blue carbon fiber? Pretty cool looking, I wonder what color CF would look good with the silver zhp cube? (silver maybe?). It does look like a cool piece. What setup are you running behind this piece, maybe this would help people decide if they are interested. Personally, I am looking for a unit that could do DVD (probably via PS2 I would put in the glovebox, or something like this) and navigation for a decent price. But on the other hand, a avic N1 can be done for about $1100-1300 installed if you try hard enough. So the price point for something like this needs to be way less than this to be interesting. Just throwing some opinions out.... Hey Jon, is your email up yet? Hit me up on AIM.

Cavan
VMW Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 02:23 AM   #47
Evidence

My Ride: sold
Send a message via AIM to Evidence
Quote:
Josh - I'm actually playing with the idea of selling these with monitors pre-installed... I mean, how many people here would actually want to do something custom? Not many people have the tools or experience, you know?
We could always offer a blank AND one with a monitor built in...

JL
i would be interested in one, if i got a monitor pre installed so i could hook up a Ps2
Evidence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 02:30 AM   #48
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsycracing
Hey LAFENGAS is that blue carbon fiber? Pretty cool looking, I wonder what color CF would look good with the silver zhp cube? (silver maybe?). It does look like a cool piece. What setup are you running behind this piece, maybe this would help people decide if they are interested. Personally, I am looking for a unit that could do DVD (probably via PS2 I would put in the glovebox, or something like this) and navigation for a decent price. But on the other hand, a avic N1 can be done for about $1100-1300 installed if you try hard enough. So the price point for something like this needs to be way less than this to be interesting. Just throwing some opinions out.... Hey Jon, is your email up yet? Hit me up on AIM.

Cavan
You'll only get a used or refurbished AVIC for that price - even at wholesale, I paid more than that - and installed it myself

JL
Old 01-25-2005, 05:25 AM   #49
sheefo2k
OEM ///Member

My Ride: vrm psh - 02 325ci
you can get them for aroudn 1200 brand new .. i told you i would hook you up jon but you were in a hurry

Performance BMW car
Sponsored by :
www.euro-spec.net
www.bimmian.com
BMW Motorwerks

support:

www.vmwerks.com
www.esstuning.com
www.my330i.com
sheefo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:30 PM   #50
VMW Racing
Past Site Sponsor

Someone told me tweeter had a sale like a month ago for $1100 installed if you did some arm twisting? But yeah I hear from between $1100 and $1400 depending on who you know I am still intested, trying to think of the best way I could set this up nav wise, maybe a pioneer 6.5 screen/nav setup with a aux output for a dvd player? I also think it would be smart to maybe design it with a screen in mind. Plastic wouldn't be bad to manipulate, but trying to cut a square hole in CF would be a little hard for newbies.

Cavan
Old 01-25-2005, 04:06 PM   #51
LAFENGAS
www.thielstudios.com

Quote:
Plastic wouldn't be bad to manipulate, but trying to cut a square hole in CF would be a little hard for newbies.

Cavan

Carbon fiber is very strong, but cuts very easily. I personally prefer to use a dremel with a cutting disk, but an exacto knife or utility knife work well. It's actually harder to cut plastic of the same thickness than it is Carbon Fiber. I Swear.

For fine tuning, sand paper easily takes CF down.

I do a lot of fabrication for myself so these issues seem minor and i don't take into account some people have never done anything remotely like this. The hard part is done (making the mold and forming the CF) the easy part is cutting.

Jon, as far as doing a package with screens, I'm game.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:25 PM   #52
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemah_Mon
Nice quality touchscreens for overpriced dash trim.

http://www.plasma.com/xenarc/700ts.htm
Could this be bought, along with the trim piece and then run a ps2 slim from the glovebox to the back of the tv and use the ps2 as a game system and dvd player?

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 04:40 PM   #53
Stevo759

My Ride: M5
Send a message via AIM to Stevo759
i would love one.....150 seems decent, but for a little more i would like to hav JUST a screen that comes with it...leave it to everyone else to get the dvd player or whatever they want to hook up to it. Ive seen screens go for $150-200
Old 01-25-2005, 04:51 PM   #54
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI
Could this be bought, along with the trim piece and then run a ps2 slim from the glovebox to the back of the tv and use the ps2 as a game system and dvd player?
Could I get some input?

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Old 01-25-2005, 05:15 PM   #55
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

Chase - yes. The screen will have an auxiliary, or 2, or even 3.

What do you guys think of the idea of a touch screen? The screen is right near the shifter and the other buttons, it seems very logical to me...

JL
Old 01-25-2005, 05:23 PM   #56
LAFENGAS
www.thielstudios.com

Quote:
Hey LAFENGAS is that blue carbon fiber? Pretty cool looking, I wonder what color CF would look good with the silver zhp cube? (silver maybe?). It does look like a cool piece. What setup are you running behind this piece, maybe this would help people decide if they are interested.
Cavan

Yeah, that was blue CF used for that particular blank you saw. The unit I'm running is the AVIC-90 Pioneer Navigation Unit, with DVD. That particular scren is the ACS-W6210 touchscreen.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:26 PM   #57
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

Quote:
Chase - yes. The screen will have an auxiliary, or 2, or even 3.

What do you guys think of the idea of a touch screen? The screen is right near the shifter and the other buttons, it seems very logical to me...

JL
I'd definately be up for it... considering you can buy a touch screen for only 80 bucks... that means for the 180 for the dash piece plus 80 for the screen plus the ps2 slim you could have a dvd player and ps2 in your car for only 300 bucks or so... when compared to a flip out unit, thats quite the deal... plus it would look damn cool. Would it be possible to attach the screen to the cars stereo?

Old 01-25-2005, 05:55 PM   #58
76Dragon

My Ride: 325i
Let's do it

man i hope there's enough people interested to make this happen. The thought of not having to take out the stock stereo is the most appealing thing for this product. I'd definitely be down to buying one with a touch screen.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:48 PM   #59
VMW Racing
Past Site Sponsor

I am just trying to think though, what kind of a "general" nav system could we simply hook up to a touchscreen, does anything exist that allows you to hook it up to any screen?

Cavan
Old 01-25-2005, 09:59 PM   #60
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

Touch screen for $80? Wow... I wonder what the quality is like though.
My NON-Touch plasma 7" monitors were $180ea, to give you an idea of what a quality monitor costs...

JL