E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > Sponsor Press Releases & New Product Announcements

Sponsor Press Releases & New Product Announcements
Get the latest news and announcements from the site sponsors! To ask a question please use the 'Ask a Sponsor' forum.
Click here to view all the site sponsors and see what they are offering!

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in this custom trim?
Yes, I this Josh's labor is worth $180 39 21.08%
Yes, but I would pay a maximum of $150 86 46.49%
No, this is overpriced and unnecessary. 60 32.43%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2005, 11:52 PM   #61
VMW Racing
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI
I'd definately be up for it... considering you can buy a touch screen for only 80 bucks... that means for the 180 for the dash piece plus 80 for the screen plus the ps2 slim you could have a dvd player and ps2 in your car for only 300 bucks or so... when compared to a flip out unit, thats quite the deal... plus it would look damn cool. Would it be possible to attach the screen to the cars stereo?
What touch screen can you get for $80? Link?

C
VMW Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:24 AM   #62
SrCsTc
Banned

My Ride: 00 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to SrCsTc
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI
I'd definately be up for it... considering you can buy a touch screen for only 80 bucks...

SrCsTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:23 PM   #63
VMW Racing
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrCsTc
That is what I was thinking.... By the way I sent you a PM last week, never heard back.

Cavan
VMW Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:26 PM   #64
SrCsTc
Banned

My Ride: 00 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to SrCsTc
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsycracing
That is what I was thinking.... By the way I sent you a PM last week, never heard back.

Cavan
Sorry, lemme check.
SrCsTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 04:14 PM   #65
LAFENGAS
www.thielstudios.com

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to LAFENGAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrCsTc
Sorry, lemme check.

Your faceplate looks great! Nice and clean. - to great craftsmanship!
LAFENGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:18 PM   #66
Lucas
LinuxGeek

My Ride: 328CI
Send a message via ICQ to Lucas
Is it possible to fit Xenarc 700TSV/700TS in that faceplate?
If yes.....when are you going to start selling it?
I'll be interested to buy one.

"Carputer" project progress meter [Completed]
Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 12:15 AM   #67
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: Vorsteiner 335i
Send a message via AIM to Jlevi SW
So I take it you guys are completely against the idea of a "blank" that you can cut to your own spec for guages, etc? Everyone here wants us to pre-determine what monitor setups are right for you, and just pre-assemble it?

JL
Jlevi SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 09:40 AM   #68
76Dragon

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlevi
So I take it you guys are completely against the idea of a "blank" that you can cut to your own spec for guages, etc? Everyone here wants us to pre-determine what monitor setups are right for you, and just pre-assemble it?

JL
Yes I think that is the general concensus
Old 01-27-2005, 02:19 PM   #69
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: Vorsteiner 335i
Send a message via AIM to Jlevi SW
Taken to heart
Jlevi SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 03:39 PM   #70
quest330ci

My Ride: M3
Id do it at $100, but I would need to hold at least a 7" screen.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:28 PM   #71
76Dragon

any updates

any decisions made on this GB?
76Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 04:28 PM   #72
LAFENGAS
www.thielstudios.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Dragon
any decisions made on this GB?
Since a lot of people want the screens already installed, i have to find a good quality screen and make these preinstalled. I'm sorry, but $80 touchscreens aren't going to cut it...you have a BMW, it will need a screen of moderate quality.

If someone wants to buy themselves a $80 touchscreen and have me install it in a blank, i may make arrangements to do that.

I'll give JLevi some screens I think will work well and you guys can vote on what you want installed.

Give me some feedback guys,.....

Screen Suggestions? Does it HAVE to be a Touch Screen?
Old 02-02-2005, 04:34 PM   #73
JimBOT

My Ride: SC 325Ci
Would you still be able to make a blank if we want? Thanks Josh!
Old 02-02-2005, 04:57 PM   #74
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Guys, this is a great concept and I hate to be a wet blanket, BUT since Jon posted the poll and is soliciting feedback, I think even at $150, it would be way overpriced. I don't necessarily see how, without a monitor, this would be different than say, all of the CF aftermarket shifter trim pieces or gauge trims that are readily available as low as $40.00. Again, while this application would be much cooler than those pieces, bottom line is that it's a fabricated piece of CF or plastic.
Don't get me wrong, I REALLY dig the ingenuity and passion for this!
mtnbound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 05:06 PM   #75
tdevil

My Ride: 03 325i
Send a message via AIM to tdevil
im paying 400 for custom monitor trim but hopefully the money is worth it in terms of quality.

prob should show a few pics of the trim then set a price.
tdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 05:14 PM   #76
LAFENGAS
www.thielstudios.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound
Guys, this is a great concept and I hate to be a wet blanket, BUT since Jon posted the poll and is soliciting feedback, I think even at $150, it would be way overpriced. I don't necessarily see how, without a monitor, this would be different than say, all of the CF aftermarket shifter trim pieces or gauge trims that are readily available as low as $40.00. Again, while this application would be much cooler than those pieces, bottom line is that it's a fabricated piece of CF or plastic.
Don't get me wrong, I REALLY dig the ingenuity and passion for this!
I guess the difference is this isn't mass produced.... as stated before... these are hand made for the most part. You said it yourself, "bottom line is that it's a fabricated piece of CF".... go to somebody, anybody and ask them how much they'll charge for a one time application. The first one I made, cost me about $400, and that didn't include my time.

My cost is about $30 for materials and overhead. Carbon Fiber, Epoxy, Vacuum Bagging Supplies (i.e. bleeder clother, breather fabric, bagging, plastic sheeting), Vacuum oil (needs to be replaced every 3 made), electricity...etc, etc.

If i were to make a couple hundred or so...i could spend more money on a more efficient system, but that's not the case.

Once it's off the mold, it needs to be trimmed, sanded, painted, fit, holes cut,.. and if a screen is being fit...it needs more work, including a backing support piece, more fitting, more supplies, etc.

About 4 hrs of work are needed after the piece comes off the mold (In addition to the 30mins to set up the epoxy process and 8hrs of wait time to cure).. So if I were to sell these at $40, my time is valued at less then $2.50/hr. Go to your local car install shop and see if their labor rates are this low.

This is supposed to be an option to resort to for those who want a LCD screen in their dash and keep the Business CD or whatever head unit they have in their current location.

I enjoy doing this kind of work especially since not a lot of people can do it for themselves. However, i have plenty of projects that I would like to do for myself and this effort has to be worth my freetime as well.

Last edited by LAFENGAS; 02-02-2005 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:34 PM   #77
04M3Vert

My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
Lafengas your price of $150 (has this been set?) is completely acceptable. I've priced other custom installs for a similar piece and the "shops" are trying to get $500.

There explanation (the shops), it's a one time piece and the set up cost will be at least $300 just for the mold work. They then need to be paid for the actual production of the piece and estimate it at an additional $200.

I know these shops usually charge excessive labor rates, so the $500 may be an overpriced quote, but I think it more than validates your right to ask for the $150 price. I assume your doing this on your free time, and I think we can all agree OUR free time is much more valuable time.

Currently I'm trying to close the deal on another piece that I've already started the process of buying, but if it falls through, I'd definately pay you the $150 for a blank.
04M3Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 11:15 AM   #78
dw_uk2000

My Ride: 325ci Vert
Lafengas, as mentioned in my email, I am very interested!

Especially if it came with a touchscreen already installed, in my last car I had a Lilliput 7" screen and I can recommend it.

Might be an idea if there is enough interest to provide two models e.g a VGA touchscreen model like the Lilliput for Car PC users and a Pioneer screen for those that don't.

Just an idea, but as I say would be very interested in the first model if you do one, fancy the idea of getting my car pc in the Bimmer.
dw_uk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 01:37 PM   #79
BigFas
Flex UK Style

My Ride: Entry Level Drop Top
I've only just been directed to this thread, great idea, I would be absolutely interested.

I would love a blank to cut to size, I'm getting a 6.8" Necvox screen and I'd be happy to modify to fit.

Let us know how this works out, but as I said, definitely interested
Old 02-07-2005, 06:25 PM   #80
76Dragon

76Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote