E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-22-2005, 02:31 AM   #1
niterider

My Ride: 330ci
Why does Boyd Coddington hate Chip Foose?

I was watching American Hot Rod and Boyd's painter Charley wanted leave Boyd to work on a car for Foose. Boyd called Foose the enemy or something like that and was really pissed about Charley leaving to go work for Foose.
Now from what I could understand Boyd & Chip where in bussiness together at one time but for whatever reason they had a falling out and Chip left. Boyd was saying that Chip tried to "bring him down" just like everyone else.
Anyone know what caused Boyd's hatred for Foose?
niterider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 02:36 AM   #2
rana

My Ride: 04' 320i, 03' 745Li
nope...

but i saw charlie working with chip on rides painting the Caddilac XLR
Old 01-22-2005, 02:39 AM   #3
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
I don't know anything about the situ, but just from observing...
boyd=king resting on his laurels, but has shown no talent other than as a manager.
foose=heir to the king who designs and still keeps his hands on approach.

If I was charley, i'd want to work with foose over boyd.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 02:39 AM   #4
niterider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana
nope...

but i saw charlie working with chip on rides painting the Caddilac XLR
Yeah, in the episode he decided to leave to work with Foose and Boyd told him he would not be welcomed back, Boyd wouldn't not even shake his hand.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:53 AM   #5
BLK BLUR

My Ride: 335i,modena,titan cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider
I was watching American Hot Rod and Boyd's painter Charley wanted leave Boyd to work on a car for Foose. Boyd called Foose the enemy or something like that and was really pissed about Charley leaving to go work for Foose.
Now from what I could understand Boyd & Chip where in bussiness together at one time but for whatever reason they had a falling out and Chip left. Boyd was saying that Chip tried to "bring him down" just like everyone else.
Anyone know what caused Boyd's hatred for Foose?
because he has better designs.......
Old 01-22-2005, 03:31 AM   #6
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
i couldnt get into this show - boyd was always an a$$hole and i agree - didnt add much to the mix of design and talent- the show got lame in my opinion -

now i do love american chopper.

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 03:53 AM   #7
e46boy
call me kev :D

My Ride: '08 Lexus GS460
Send a message via AIM to e46boy
the boyd coddington shop is 5 miles from my house... maybe i should go ask him

this is really messed up for charles, regardless of how mean boyd is, he actually let charles live in his house for 2 years while he worked out some problem and this is how he repay boyd?

this is fked up beyond words, he is not even leaving for the right reason, he is going to work at his competitor, as much as i love chip and his talent, but this is just sad

Bye bye E46, hello new car :D
e46boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 04:18 AM   #8
devGOD
devGOD

My Ride: AA S/C 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to devGOD Send a message via Yahoo to devGOD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau
I don't know anything about the situ, but just from observing...
boyd=king resting on his laurels, but has shown no talent other than as a manager.
foose=heir to the king who designs and still keeps his hands on approach.

If I was charley, i'd want to work with foose over boyd.
if you were charley you'd be an as$ (not that you're one) in the since that boyd and charley are close friends. charley lived with boyd for 2yrs, and knew that he disliked foose. just from that alone, charley is a sh!tty friend for going the other way. friendship should mean more. it's not like boyd has a less superior shop to foose they're almost equal. so what he did was just wrong.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:38 AM   #9
Fisch330ciTopasBlau

Quote:
Originally Posted by devGOD
if you were charley you'd be an as$ (not that you're one) in the since that boyd and charley are close friends. charley lived with boyd for 2yrs, and knew that he disliked foose. just from that alone, charley is a sh!tty friend for going the other way. friendship should mean more. it's not like boyd has a less superior shop to foose they're almost equal. so what he did was just wrong.
Like I said I didn't know the history they had. From watching the show the few times i've seen it though I got the impression that Boyd took him for granted.

How long is someone required to be beholden to their benefactor? Boyd may've been a surrogate father figure for Charlie, but you eventually have to leave the nest or the familiarity will breed contempt if the individuals positions aren't at equal levels.

As a creative person, I want to work with creative people. Chip Foose at this point in their careers seems to be more creative and pushes more boundaries than Boyd seems to do. Thanks just my impression.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
Old 01-22-2005, 05:39 AM   #10
Fisch330ciTopasBlau

Quote:
Originally Posted by devGOD
Like I said I didn't know the history they had. From watching the show the few times i've seen it though I got the impression that Boyd took him for granted.

How long is someone required to be beholden to their benefactor? Boyd may've been a surrogate father figure for Charlie, but you eventually have to leave the nest or the familiarity will breed contempt if the individuals positions aren't at equal levels.

As a creative person, I want to work with creative people. Chip Foose at this point in their careers seems to be more creative and pushes more boundaries than Boyd seems to do. Thanks just my impression.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
Old 01-22-2005, 10:03 AM   #11
flybigjet

My Ride: '05 Honda Element
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau
just from observing...
boyd has shown no talent other than as a manager.
You're kidding, right? This guy couldn't manage his way out of a paper bag. He's the poster child of how *not* to manage. R.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:50 AM   #12
slow323ci
E46-free since 10-13-06

My Ride: 335i coupe
Chip Foose worked for Boyd Coddington from 1990 to 1998, and at the end was president of Hot Rods by Boyd.

Foose designed most of Coddington's "signature" cars and is generally credited with creating the Coddington "look". Foose designed Coddington's Roadster, Sportstar, Boydster I and II, and Boyd Air to name a few.

Then in 1998 Foose started his own company, which is not that big of a surpise, since Chip's father is also a well-known fabricator and owns a company called Project Design, whose best-known work is probably the "Eleanor" Mustang from "Gone in 60 Seconds".

When Foose left Hot Rods by Boyd a key chunk of Boyd's staff went with him. So Boyd lost a major portion of his creative staff, which he did not take very well. Hence the bad blood between them.
slow323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 11:04 AM   #13
z3davis

My Ride: 2006 325xi, 1998 z3
Boyd might have been a great father figure, but he is an a-hole to work for. That guy expects so much out of his guys it is crazy. I would never buy one of his cars. Charlie is the only guy I ever liked. Chip Foose seems so much cooler and a better guy. I would leave that guy and work for as a dog walker in a minute.
z3davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 11:21 AM   #14
Craig
The G.O.A.T. is Baccckkkkk!

My Ride: 09' AW E92 335i
Sucks seein Charlie go, Boyd's old lady took it hard as hell anyone else think Charlie was gettin at it???
Old 01-22-2005, 11:35 AM   #15
morrow95

My Ride: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Sucks seein Charlie go, Boyd's old lady took it hard as hell anyone else think Charlie was gettin at it???
I watched this last night too - didnt he say something about his wife and kids and thats why he left to go to Chip?

I mean, if you gotta make a choice for your family over anything, that is the right choice... as far as I am concerned... your family, especially your wife and kid come above everything...
morrow95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 01:48 PM   #16
e46boy
call me kev :D

My Ride: '08 Lexus GS460
Send a message via AIM to e46boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrow95
I watched this last night too - didnt he say something about his wife and kids and thats why he left to go to Chip?

I mean, if you gotta make a choice for your family over anything, that is the right choice... as far as I am concerned... your family, especially your wife and kid come above everything...
the reason why he said that was because he said he worked too hard for boyd and thus took too much time away from his family, he usually worked like 12hr+ day, and sometimes even longer when deadline was coming up, if you've watched the show, sometimes he would be the ONLY one staying over night to paint a car so everyone can work on the car the next day, he was the only person i respect ouf of the whole show, sad to see him go

boyd coddington is much more well known than foose tho

Bye bye E46, hello new car :D
e46boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 01:49 PM   #17
Tuscan
I am F1.

My Ride: Needs a S/C V8.
Send a message via AIM to Tuscan
I like Foose better.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:57 PM   #18
Night Hawk

My Ride: Hauls Ass!!!
Send a message via AIM to Night Hawk Send a message via Yahoo to Night Hawk
i wondered what happened, i had turned it on at the last minute and didnt know what the fock was going on

- Greg
Night Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 05:20 PM   #19
niterider

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow323ci
Chip Foose worked for Boyd Coddington from 1990 to 1998, and at the end was president of Hot Rods by Boyd.

Foose designed most of Coddington's "signature" cars and is generally credited with creating the Coddington "look". Foose designed Coddington's Roadster, Sportstar, Boydster I and II, and Boyd Air to name a few.

Then in 1998 Foose started his own company, which is not that big of a surpise, since Chip's father is also a well-known fabricator and owns a company called Project Design, whose best-known work is probably the "Eleanor" Mustang from "Gone in 60 Seconds".

When Foose left Hot Rods by Boyd a key chunk of Boyd's staff went with him. So Boyd lost a major portion of his creative staff, which he did not take very well. Hence the bad blood between them.
I knew this board had the answer. So Boyd is pissed at Foose becuse he took his creative talent and put it to work for himself.
Boyd has to know that these younger, talented custom builders are gonna eventually wanna venture out on their own and are gonna soon tire of the RUSH RUSH pace Boyd puts them under.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:31 PM   #20
bimmerguy2006

My Ride: 02 325ci & 73 3.0CSi
Send a message via AIM to bimmerguy2006
Foose has a knack for design, it radiates from him in everything he does. I personally hated American Hot Rod because of Boyd's taking his staff for granted. If you want your team to work well, you dont get pissed at every little thing that happens. I would have done exactly what Charlie did.

Words to live by: I trust everyone, I just dont trust the devil inside them.
Interested in showing your car? Talk to me.
PSI Motoring
bimmerguy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote