E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2005, 07:51 PM   #41
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde
The issue of lag with turbos is a myth, perpetuated only by those who have never owned a turbocharged car.
Oh my god, youve got to be kidding me. I feel stupider just reading that.

I honestly cannot beleive you just said that. Im dumbfounded.

Quote:
If you don't care about performance, then quit posting in the motorsports, racing and track forum inside a quarter mile thread!
I dont particularly care about straight line performance, more so handling.

Last edited by vaio76109; 09-14-2005 at 08:03 PM.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 02:52 AM   #42
MrBlonde

My Ride: M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109
Oh my god, youve got to be kidding me. I feel stupider just reading that.

I honestly cannot beleive you just said that. Im dumbfounded.

I dont particularly care about straight line performance, more so handling.
I'm not kidding you. How many turbocharged BMWs have you built, owned and raced? Or are you just talking about something you don't know about like most internet experts?

If you don't care about straight line performance, why post in a quarter mile thread?

Lastly, your rhetoric is so sexy. Kiss me?

See the E46F Drag Racing Standings List for BMW street cars. Watch my drag racing movies on YouTube.

Everything you need to know about Drag Racing your BMW street car
MrBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 04:06 PM   #43
Bim Growl
Banned

My Ride: E86 3.2
Quote:
I'm not kidding you. How many turbocharged BMWs have you built, owned and raced? Or are you just talking about something you don't know about like most internet experts?

If you don't care about straight line performance, why post in a quarter mile thread?

Lastly, your rhetoric is so sexy. Kiss me?

oooh oooh, can I answer for him?

I'll bet he's only owned one BMW, and no it has no boost whatsoever.

He posts in a quarter mile thread just because he posts in EVERY thread! LOL.

...and finally. If you want a kiss, you better post a pic first lover-boy!
Bim Growl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 04:17 PM   #44
vaio76109

Bim, **** off. MrBlonde, your telling me turbos dont have lag but by definition of how they work they have to have lag.

This is stupid im not arguing over this more because I know im right.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:23 PM   #45
Bim Growl
Banned

My Ride: E86 3.2
Quote:
Bim, fuck off.
LOL. You're too easy Vaio.

Quote:
Naturally.

p.s.- I don't know if you realize you're trying to argue with one of, if not the, best BMW tuners in Australia...
Bim Growl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:07 PM   #46
gbn

My Ride: 2002 325i
MrBlonde since you may be one of Australia's finest, maybe you can answer a few questions for me. In operating principal I understand the differences between supercharging and turbocharging, but from a performance standpoint why would you choose one over the other (a pros and cons of each if you will). Also, since we are talking about drag times which is better for the strip?
gbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 07:47 PM   #47
MrBlonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim Growl

oooh oooh, can I answer for him?

I'll bet he's only owned one BMW, and no it has no boost whatsoever.

He posts in a quarter mile thread just because he posts in EVERY thread! LOL.

...and finally. If you want a kiss, you better post a pic first lover-boy!
I recognise a fellow stirrer when I see one! The good thing about the internet is that there is access to a lot of information. The bad thing is that the quality of the information is poor.

You'd think that on a technical forum within the motorsport section a person would refrain from posting "facts" if they didn't know what they were talking about. But internet experts abound and largely go unchecked, spreading misinformation and opinion far and wide.

Here's my picture, I hope he digs it because my lips thirst for his internet expert kisses. I bet he's an expert on love, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fface.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	144936  

See the E46F Drag Racing Standings List for BMW street cars. Watch my drag racing movies on YouTube.

Old 09-18-2005, 07:52 PM   #48
MrBlonde

Quote:
MrBlonde, your telling me turbos dont have lag but by definition of how they work they have to have lag.

No tha's not what I said. I said with a properly sized turbo/engine combination that turbo lag is neglible. There is no way to remove lag entirely.

Do you understand what lag is? Let's agree on a simple definition that lag is the time between flooring the gas pedal and getting positive boost.

The engine still makes power off boost and at partial boost (less than full boost).

Now let's consider a racing situation. The engine will only be off boost (or suffering lag) at the initial launch. It will never lag again because your RPMs/load will never drop that low again. So who cares?

Your close minded attitude is typical of internet experts. Have a think about what you're saying and doing and why.

Old 09-18-2005, 07:59 PM   #49
MrBlonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbn
MrBlonde since you may be one of Australia's finest, maybe you can answer a few questions for me. In operating principal I understand the differences between supercharging and turbocharging, but from a performance standpoint why would you choose one over the other (a pros and cons of each if you will). Also, since we are talking about drag times which is better for the strip?
I can't give you an unbiased opinion on this because I beleive in turbocharging over supercharging.

Supercharging involves driving the supercharger unit from the crank which saps some power. Turbocharging uses exhaust gasses to drive the turbine which is more efficient. So ultimately a turbo will make more power than a supercharger.

Having said that, there are many other factors to consider. It all depends on what you want to do with your car.

If you want an inexpensive street car, then a centrifugal supercharger kit is your best bet. CF superchargers build boost with RPMs, so you get full boost at redline. The boost characteristics are easy to anticipate which many find better for racing.

Twin screw superchargers produce positive boost from a low RPM and therefore make better power with the same engine. But they cost more. The boost characteristics are easy to anticipate which many find better for racing.

Turbochargers make boost depending on exhaust gas volume. Not RPMs .. but load. The boost characteristics are harder to anticipate and this makes it harder to drive well which some find takes away from their racing experience. But some find it makes their racing experience worthwhile!

As for which I'd recommend for drag racing, it again depends on what you want to achieve. Take a look at NHRA Sport Compact racing and see if those race cars use superchargers or turbochargers.

Old 10-24-2005, 12:21 PM   #50
burrito007

My Ride: M3
if you're turbo'ed and not an auto.. lag doesn't matter since you'll launch in your power band, and stay there throughout your shifts. Your turbo SHOULD be constantly spooled

i dunno maybe its only becase the wrx/sti/evo have 4wd and can launch better, but i've never had an issue with turbo lag unless i'm in the wrong gear or easing it into 1st and acelerating from 0 without a launch... Once 3krpms come, however, never feel "lag" after that.

With the bigger engines now in cars like sti or even 06 wrx, there is absolutely no lag whatsoever

Stock
------------------------------------------------
Previous cars:
2000 323i
mods: koni adjustable shocks, UUC pulleys, shark injector, ecis intake
Wheels: OZ Superleggera 18x8 and 18x9
burrito007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 01:29 PM   #51
xS3x
mi casa @ technik

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Send a message via MSN to xS3x
mr. blonde is not blonde
Old 11-21-2005, 12:49 PM   #52
Qwietstorm

My Ride: 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to Qwietstorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmwerks
Old news check post #3. You missed the point of the question IMO. BTW we own BMW's not GM junk.. major difference IMO

GM Junk? It'll be considered GM junk until you're reading his license plates from a stoplight or all the way down a 1320! Don't underestimate "GM Junk" and Mustangs in a straight line. Granted, they may have trouble making the turn at the end to get up the return road, but they aren't to be taken lightly in a straight line!

Last edited by Qwietstorm; 11-21-2005 at 12:54 PM.
Qwietstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 05:05 PM   #53
afewbimmers

My Ride: alot of bmw's
Send a message via AIM to afewbimmers
i consider it gm junk when my fully loaded 05 suburban with 10k on it is worth the same as my 02 325 coupe when i paid 52k for the gm junk about 6 months ago... have you seen their stocks lately?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:10 PM   #54
vaio76109

Quote:
Originally Posted by afewbimmers
i consider it gm junk when my fully loaded 05 suburban with 10k on it is worth the same as my 02 325 coupe when i paid 52k for the gm junk about 6 months ago... have you seen their stocks lately?
What does resale have to do with quality? I do agree that GM's arent the greatest quality, but neither are BMW's.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:19 PM   #55
afewbimmers

My Ride: alot of bmw's
Send a message via AIM to afewbimmers
Quote:
What does resale have to do with quality? I do agree that GM's arent the greatest quality, but neither are BMW's.

alot, it speaks volumes the fact that my 3 year old coupe with over triple the miles is worth the same as my basicly brand new gm load suv should say something. from 52k to 26k in 6 months there are reasons why it doesnt hold its value and the bmw does
Old 11-28-2005, 05:55 PM   #56
burrito007

My Ride: M3
turbolagsayswhat?

whoah where did this thread come from.

I'd like to take the chance to now insert my $.02

From my experiences tuning a wrx, turbolag is only evident at LOW rpms. Like if you don't launch from a stop. If you rev it to around 4k and slip the clutch, there is no lag whatsoever. Lag will become evident if you're in too high a gear. This just necessitates a downshift; it's as simple as that. Pretty much the same feeling on a honda or other similar 4 cyl. that is low on torque.

Yes the turbo needs to spool, but (a) it always spools by the same rmp (for the wrx it was 3k stock and 2k when i had stage 2) and (b) once it spools it should be good until it runs out of steam at the redline or so.

With a 6cyl turbocharged, it should NOT have any noticeable lag.. i.e. you should have the same power you had stock until the turbo hits. And you can have a turbo that hits as low as 0-1k rpms but runs out of steam early or one that hits much later.

Now a sequentia turbo setup should give the best of both worlds and have 0 lag and much whp.

Stock
------------------------------------------------
Previous cars:
2000 323i
mods: koni adjustable shocks, UUC pulleys, shark injector, ecis intake
Wheels: OZ Superleggera 18x8 and 18x9
burrito007 is offline   Reply With Quote