E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports – this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2005, 08:59 PM   #21
sliff

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
BMW-Williams F1

"they (Ferrari) put in the most money and then get the most out of everything"

Rant time! God I love Ferrari cars, and god do I hate the Ferrari F1 team! Ferrari has Bernie Eccelstone, Max Mosley, and the FIA by the b@lls because they're supposedly so special to F1...they're always whining and crying to skew the odds and rules in their favor. Ferrari has more $ to spend in part because they receive more $ than any other team under the Concorde Agreement (the contract that governs Formula One), not only in terms of TV contracts and so on, but also in the form of payments from all of the other teams. That's right, even lowly cash-strapped teams like Minardi and Jordan PAY Ferrari to race in Formula One.

Considering that the new aero and engine rules (less downforce, 2-race engines, a single set of tires for the race) were devised by the FIA through consultation of members of the Ferrari team (and no other), one can only imagine that their new 2005 package will benefit the most. Consequently, look for Ferrari to again dominate, which totally sucks

With regards to BMW-Williams, I'm sad to see JPM go...despite his personality, he's a fantastic racing driver...I would have loved to have seen him alongside Webber this coming year! IMHO, Pizzonia and Heidfeld are interchangeable; neither is particularly brilliant, nor championship material...hopefully Webber will give us all something to cheer about...!
sliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:27 PM   #22
clarkrw3

My Ride: 2003 M3
Send a message via AIM to clarkrw3
love F1 and the WRC watch every race!

BMW sort of got screwed with the Button thing last year, him and Weber would have been the best lineup for years...but we will see how it goes. Everyone is playing for second anyway with MS.
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:37 PM   #23
VivaM3

My Ride: 95 Toyota Celica
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojan4JC
Who are the F1 fans on this forum?
...it should be interesting to see how the new engines perform, granted not every team will be using them for a while.
VivaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:12 PM   #24
jetblke46

My Ride: 05 IR///M3
My predictions:
1. Ferrari
2. BAR
3. BMW
4. Renault
5. McLaren

Nobody is going to challenge ferrari until they overhaul the rules...
BMW's driver line up is too weak...but mark webber does have potential
McLaren will likely blowup everytime
jetblke46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:30 PM   #25
SD 328I

My Ride: S197, E90, and 1125R
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblke46
My predictions:
1. Ferrari
2. BAR
3. BMW
4. Renault
5. McLaren

Nobody is going to challenge ferrari until they overhaul the rules...
BMW's driver line up is too weak...but mark webber does have potential
McLaren will likely blowup everytime
I made a slight revision ...

1. Ferrari
2. BAR-Honda
3. Williams-BMW
4. McLaren-Mercedes
5. Renault

I think McLaren will be move up while Renault moves down in 05'.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:07 AM   #26
USCTrojan4JC

My Ride: 2004 Scooby WRX Sdn
Send a message via ICQ to USCTrojan4JC Send a message via AIM to USCTrojan4JC Send a message via MSN to USCTrojan4JC Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojan4JC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 328I
I made a slight revision ...

1. Ferrari
2. BAR-Honda
3. Williams-BMW
4. McLaren-Mercedes
5. Renault

I think McLaren will be move up while Renault moves down in 05'.
I really think BMW.WilliamsF1.Team has no shot at a top 3 position in the constructors' championship. Hopefully, they prove me wrong and finish behind McLaren! Ferrari is evil! Boo to them! Michael's got skillz but he drives dirty when being challenged. I don't like his trademark "chop" at the start of races and how he almost ran Mika off the road at Spa! Mika took the fight to him in 1998 and 1999 (although Michael was injured for much of 1999)!

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan World Rally Blue Pearl
USCTrojan4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 01:59 AM   #27
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
F1 fan here also. ferrari is really tough to beat.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:46 AM   #28
Jeff43
next mod: recaro child seat

My Ride: smells like surf wax
Love F1 haven't missed a race in the last 7 or 8 years...

I'm a JPM fan from his days in CART, and was thrilled when he went to BMW...i'll follow him to McLaren now.

Interested to see how Webber does at BMW; he's got a lot of hype to live up too, and BMW is DEMANDING multiple race victories from him already, not too mention he's already had a talking to by Sir Frank about his remarks regarding Pizzonia to the press...my guess is Heidfeld gets the second seat, first for his performance in preseason testing, second for the fact that Webber isn't talking sh*t about him, and let's face it, whoever gets the second seat is getting just that since Webber is getting the $$$..

The Red Bull squad should be very interesting to watch, DC w/his performance based contract and Klein driving for his job on a weekly basis.

Renault & Honda will be contenders again; i expected more out of Alonso/Renault last year, but the surprise of JB and Honda caught them (and most fans) off guard and relinquished them to third in the points...Button will get a win, Sato matures this season and gets on the podium a few times instead of squandering away good drives, or watching them go up in spectacular plumes of smoke...we get to see too many shots of Flavio in the pits, not enough shots of his girlfriends...

Toyota should be fun to watch as well...they've spent WAY too much (their budget rivals if not exceeds Ferrari's) with zero results...Head of operations wants WINS this year or else...Mike Gascoynes design ownership of the car, w/the signings of Ralph & Trulli could see some breakout races like Renault had in '03...i expect Trulli to outperform Ralph...

JPM and Kimi...what a combo...they've really tried to downplay any rivalry so far, saying that they've always got on well, but if you have 2 very talented drivers, in top shelf equipment (hopefully) running together at the front, there is going to be ....um...."excitement"...just how much, we'll have to wait and see...

Ferrari again should be the team to beat...reliability is unreal...and they're waiting to unveil the '05 car until the 8th race or so, which has (atleast Frank WIlliams) scared sh*tless. I expect a closer championship race this season, because of Honda & Mercedes, but Ferrari will still be at the top...

new regulations requiring engines to last 2 race weekends could really throw a monkey wrench into things, but will most likely hurt the smaller teams like Jordan & Minardi more than the big dogs...teams that get a 3rd car on Fridays (McLaren gets one this year ) could really benefit by doing set up work with the third car and conserving miles on the race engines...

ok, i've gone on way to long...

Can't wait for March 5th, 10 pm EST when the lights go out and the season starts....
Jeff43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 10:19 AM   #29
2005325i

My Ride: 2005 325i
Don't forget about the new rule requiring one set of tires for qualifying that must also be used in the race - this will reward the smooth drivers who will not abuse their tires.

Giancarlo Fisichella will win the Championship for Renault.
2005325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 10:28 AM   #30
S2Krazy
A Flammable Plumber

My Ride: ****ED UP CL
Send a message via AIM to S2Krazy Send a message via MSN to S2Krazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff43
we get to see too many shots of Flavio in the pits, not enough shots of his girlfriends...
S2Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 10:32 AM   #31
sliff

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Rant Part II ;)

"Don't forget about the new rule requiring one set of tires for qualifying that must also be used in the race - this will reward the smooth drivers who will not abuse their tires."

Unfortunately, this rule will likely help Ferrari more than anyone else. Ferrari is the only top team using Bridgestone tires, and consequently Bridgestone does the majority of their testing with the team. The result is that the Bridgestones are almost a custom Ferrari tire, which gives them even more of an edge with the new tire rules...
sliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 10:36 AM   #32
ses4me

My Ride: '00 X5 4.4; '02 325i
Latest rumors on driver selection

Any late-breaking rumors on whether it's going to be Heidfeld or Pizzonia? Didn't they say the decision was going to made today, after the last round of testing? None of the F1 sites have any info on this yet. I hope it's "Quick Nick." He has a ton of talent and just needs a good car and support staff. BMW is really pushing for him because he's German. Pizzonia has proven himself to be mediocre with his tenure with Jaguar and Williams. Plus, he and Webber hate each other from their days at Jaguar, when Pizzonia complained that Webber got preferential treatment and a better car. What a whiny little beatch.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:38 AM   #33
Iceman1

My Ride: 03' 330Ci 02' S2000
Send a message via AIM to Iceman1 Send a message via Yahoo to Iceman1
how does the 1 tire a race rule work when its raining? i thought they traditionally switched to rain tires before?

Happiness isnt around the corner...Happiness is the corner
Iceman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 10:55 AM   #34
2005325i

My Ride: 2005 325i
If the race is declared a rain race then they will switch to wets before the start, if it dries out during the race, then they will switch to their 'one set' of dries.

The opposite applies if it starts to rain during a race that started out dry.

A loophole here is a puncture, I'm not sure if you can change just the one tire or the whole set - one may see multiple timed 'punctures' - I'll check into that rule.
2005325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 05:08 PM   #35
LCB

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliff
With regards to BMW-Williams, I'm sad to see JPM go...despite his personality, he's a fantastic racing driver...I would have loved to have seen him alongside Webber this coming year!
LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:22 AM   #36
donpapas

My Ride: vw touraeg
Thumbs Up JPM and KIMI Will Conquer!!!!

I know Ferrari has the upper hand in F1 but I think Mercedes and Co. will make the championship interesting as long as their car does not experience technical difficulties. Please stay tuned to Speed Channel for the Australian Grand Prix and watch how Ferrari Lose!!!!

Go Mclaren!!!!!
donpapas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:42 AM   #37
ses4me

My Ride: '00 X5 4.4; '02 325i
"Quick Nick" Heidfeld it is!!!

News just in!

The BMW WilliamsF1 Team today confirmed that Nick Heidfeld has been appointed as a team race driver to partner Mark Webber for the 2005 season.

The appointment was confirmed at the launch of the team’s new car in Valencia. Antonio Pizzonia has also been retained by the team in the position of official test and reserve driver.

The announcement follows an extensive evaluation process that commenced in November 2004, and saw Heidfeld and Pizzonia test for 12 full days each.

The announcement, together with today’s launch of the Williams BMW FW27, focuses the team’s preparations for the season which commences on March 6, 2005 in Melbourne.

On the confirmation of his appointment, Nick Heidfeld said, “I really wanted this job. Driving for the BMW WilliamsF1 Team is the greatest opportunity of my career. I will do everything I can to show that I deserve this place and I’m counting the days to the first Grand Prix. ‘Racing’ against Antonio was a lot of fun. He’s a great teammate. I respect him and I would also have taken on the job of test driver.”

BMW WilliamsF1 Team Principal Frank Williams commented, “It wasn’t an easy decision for us to make, and there was little to choose between the two of them, and we were in the fortunate position to be able to choose between two drivers who would be a credit to any Formula One team. Ultimately, however, it is Nick who has got our vote, but I am delighted that we have strength in depth with Antonio taking up the position of official test and reserve driver.”

BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen said, “All three drivers were very strong in the most recent tests – not only behind the wheel but also when working together with the engineers. The new team has grown together quickly and harmoniously. I’m very pleased for Nick. He earned the seat with his strong performance. Antonio knows that, as a test driver, he is also taking on a key role in the team.”

Antonio Pizzonia said, “I’m a racing driver and naturally I would rather be racing in all the Grands Prix. But in the past I have also learnt how important test work is for the success of the team as a whole. I also know as official reserve driver that you have to be ready to step into a race seat at any time. Although it is not the decision I wanted, I’m pleased to be part of the BMW WilliamsF1 Team in 2005 and will give my best to help the team’s performance this year.”

Source Williams BMW
Old 01-31-2005, 11:59 AM   #38
Steelblue

My Ride: 316
[ McLaren does have the best drivers though(lousy engines and this year an engine has to last 2 races).[/QUOTE]

After Ferrari!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steelblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:00 PM   #39
GordonMurray
Banned

My Ride: A German Motorcoach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB
Why haven't I heard of these new drivers? - Nick Heidfeld and Antonio Pizzonia
...because you're not an F1 head?

GordonMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:01 PM   #40
GordonMurray
Banned

My Ride: A German Motorcoach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donpapas
I know Ferrari has the upper hand in F1 but I think Mercedes and Co. will make the championship interesting as long as their car does not experience technical difficulties. Please stay tuned to Speed Channel for the Australian Grand Prix and watch how Ferrari Lose!!!!

Go Mclaren!!!!!
I hope they learned how to make an engine cover in the off season. :shh:
GordonMurray is offline   Reply With Quote